Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ladder predictor thread 2014

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:11 pm
Post subject: Ladder predictor thread 2014Reply with quote

With round 15 completed, the ladder predictor has become a bit less of a crapshoot. Try it for yourself and see where you have us finishing.

http://www.afl.com.au/ladder/ladder-predictor

What I'm most interested in is a) whether we look likely to make top 4; and b) how many wins we'll need. First off, here's my prediction:

1. Port Adelaide 18-4 141%
2. Fremantle 18-4 139%
3. Sydney 18-4 135%
4. Hawthorn 17-5 141%
5. Geelong 15-7 112%
6. Collingwood 14-8 113%
7. Adelaide 13-9 113%
8. North Melbourne 13-9 109%

9. Gold Coast 13-9 106%
10. West Coast 12-10 112%
11. Western Bulldogs 8-14 82%
12. Essendon 7-15 96%
13. Richmond 7-15 95%
14. Carlton 7-15 87%
15. GWS 6-16 75%
16. Melbourne 5-17 74%
17. Brisbane 4-18 65%
18. St. Kilda 3-19 60%

OK, so it's looking pretty grim. Unless one of the top 4 teams falls in a heap, we may actually have to go undefeated for the rest of the year to make it (according to my predictions, doing this and beating Hawthorn in the final round would have us a game clear in fourth with a trip to Perth in the first week). In fact, given the logjam of teams in the four spaces below us, we might have our work cut out just making the finals. Beating the Suns next week is obviously an 8-point game, as is our match against West Coast at Subiaco in a few weeks.

On the bright side, should we win our next 8 games (including knocking off two of the premiership favourites in Port and Hawthorn), we'll be in as good a position as any to claim the flag. So, keep dreaming. Smile

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got us winning 2 more games than you did so had us finishing level with Port Adelaide (they've got a tough draw) but way behind on percentage. I can however see us slipping to 6th as you have predicted. Highly unlikely we drop lower than 6th unless things really turn to crap and the Kangaroos actually take advantage of their marshmallow draw. Gonna be an interesting journey home!
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:11 pm

David, I don't know if you have all the points correct, but I think your top 8 order will be pretty close.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:23 pm

Would need to win a few games by massive margins to get our percentage up another 10-15%. Likely end up 6 or 7 with 5 being a bonus.

Not sure 4th would be a good thing. Despite having a chance to win a game and the week off, we'd likely get smashed by the Hawks which would be soul destroying and almost certainly see us get knocked out of the finals with 2 straight losses.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:42 pm

I just did this, going on gut feeling and had the top 5 all separated only by percentage - with us in 6th spot.

A long way to go in this season and percentage could play a massive part, even though some on here will insist it means nothing. It could mean the difference between a trip to Sydney, Perth or Adelaide this year.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:05 am

I just completed the ladder predictor and the Pies end up in 7th with a win-loss ratio of 13-9 and to play North Melbourne who finished 6th, bearing in mind I may have been harsh on the Pies so I didn't seem biased when realistically doing the final ladder predictor. The only difference between your ladder and mine David is that the Suns make the finals whereas the Crows just miss out.

I pencilled in this week's match against the Gold Coast as a loss so winning this week's game would be a great start for us in surpassing my expectations of where I think the club may end up finishing come the conclusion of the Home and Away season.

Anyway it's one big game of guessing at the moment so who knows what may happen from now to the end of the Home and Away season as injuries, form and luck are all factors that can change quickly as time goes on.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:18 am

Damien wrote:
I just did this, going on gut feeling and had the top 5 all separated only by percentage - with us in 6th spot.

A long way to go in this season and percentage could play a massive part, even though some on here will insist it means nothing. It could mean the difference between a trip to Sydney, Perth or Adelaide this year.

Percentage is not important (which to be clear is very different than saying the presence or absence of percentage wont change the matchups in the finals). If you are good enough to win the flag, going to Sydney, Perth or Adelaide in week one of the finals for example should make no difference!!!!!

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:51 am

E wrote:
Damien wrote:

Percentage is not important (which to be clear is very different than saying the presence or absence of percentage wont change the matchups in the finals). If you are good enough to win the flag, going to Sydney, Perth or Adelaide in week one of the finals for example should make no difference!!!!!

There's a big difference between finishing 4th and finishing 5th though.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 am

Damien wrote:
E wrote:
Damien wrote:

There's a big difference between finishing 4th and finishing 5th though.

If you are good enough to win the flag, that is not an issue either. the thing people forget (when they bang on about how no team has ever won from 5th under the current system) is that the best team always seems to make the top 4! strange that, isnt it?

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Without the use of the ladder predictor, I worked out that Collingwood will have an exceptional development year this season. The future for 2015/16 is incredibly bright. Bring on the sunnies.... Cool Cool
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Where we are now is about where we finish
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:55 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Where we are now is about where we finish

Agree.

Unless we can beat Gold Cost this weekend and start getting some of our players back, i.e. Reid, Fasolo, Maxwell, Elliot, Williams and Langdon over the next 1-2 weeks.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Not sure why people are so gloomy about the Gold Coast game. Won't be a walkover, obviously, but one would think it's 50/50 at worst.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Reductionism.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Unless we beat Hawthorn or Freo we will remain where we are. A loss against the french fries could see us struggling to stay in the 8. Every game is a must win now. In saying that IF Ben Reid can get into the squad that makes anything possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: