Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nick Maxwell retires - thanks for everything Maxy!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxy was and always will be my favourite Collingwood Player. I remember when we (Nick's) sponsored him back in 2006 and I was lucky enough to win the signed jumper that year.

We only have 4 living Premiership Captains. Maxy led our team with distinction at all times, he may not have been the most skillful player to ever pull on the black and white, and he'll agree with that himself. Don't you wish you had even 1/2 of the skills that this man has not just as a player, but as a Clubman, Captain, Team-mate and all round Mr Nice Guy.

THANKS NICK MAXWELL FOR EVERYTHING YOU GAVE US!

Just got this email from the Club and thought I'd share it with you all here.

Quote:
To the members and supporters of the Collingwood Football Club,

It is with great pride and a hint of sadness today that I announce my retirement.

In the end it was the injuries that got the better of me.

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for all the support you have given me over my 12 seasons with the 'Pies.

I arrived at the club as a 19-year old kid with a dream, knowing little about the Collingwood Football Club, its rich history and what it stood for.

I leave now with Black and White flowing through my veins.

Thank you for accepting me as the person and player that I am; for supporting me despite my flaws as a player and for celebrating my successes along the way.

I leave knowing that I gave everything I had; in my preparation, my training and every time I had the privilege of pulling on the black and white stripes.

I never took the responsibility of leading this great club for granted; it was a role I cherished and poured everything into.

I will always have wonderful memories of our 2010 Premiership; I say 'our' because it belongs to you as much as it does to me or anyone else who supports the club.

We are in a period of transition as I write this; there will be many challenges ahead, with which comes great opportunity.

I ask for your continued support of Eddie McGuire, Gary Pert and Nathan Buckley as they do all that they can to bring you - us - more success.

This competition is not easy - on or off the field - and we cannot achieve anything unless we stand side by side.

I have seen the blood, sweat and tears that are shed every day at the Collingwood Football Club and I trust the people leading us are the best around.

Believe in the people and the club that has brought us all together as I do.

Once again, thank you for all your support.

Side by Side,

Nick Maxwell

Mr. Burns 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 pm

All the best Maxy. I met you early on in your career and told you that you will be a champion. I wasn't wrong.

I hope you stay on in the club in some capacity. All the best.

Last edited by Mr. Burns on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Good luck with whatever you do next Maxy. You were a great captain and a great player!
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:32 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Thanks for all your hard work Maxy, a sad day, but not many leave a Premiership Captain and Magpie Legend.

5 Maxwell Moments

5. Dive on Line to save us in 2010 GF Draw
4. Undertaker choke slam tackle on Max Rooke 2007 Prelim
3. Tagging Scott Thompson out of game in 2008 EF
2. Goading Eddiesmith with his premiership medal in 2010.
1. Backing into a rampaging Johnathan Brown in 2006.

Great list but I'll add one more.

Taking that saving mark over Gilbert and pumping us forward late in the last quarter of the drawn GF which lead to Clokes goal which put us back in front.

Simply put we don't win 2010 without Maxy.

Thanks for everything mate.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Now it's time for the rest of our team galvanize themselves and give everything they've got for the remainder of the season, including our finals campaign, as a way of showing respect for everything Maxy has stood for. There can be no doubt, that Maxy gave us everything he had week in week out. It's time the rest of the team followed suit for the remainder of this season. Win, lose or draw, they owe it to Maxy to have a genuine crack. That's all I ask. That's all I expect. The team's rooms should have a banner up saying "do it for Maxy".
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:50 pm

champion who gave his all for the club
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:01 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
Maxy was and always will be my favourite Collingwood Player. I remember when we (Nick's) sponsored him back in 2006 and I was lucky enough to win the signed jumper that year.

We only have 4 living Premiership Captains. Maxy led our team with distinction at all times, he may not have been the most skillful player to ever pull on the black and white, and he'll agree with that himself. Don't you wish you had even 1/2 of the skills that this man has not just as a player, but as a Clubman, Captain, Team-mate and all round Mr Nice Guy.

THANKS NICK MAXWELL FOR EVERYTHING YOU GAVE US!

Just got this email from the Club and thought I'd share it with you all here.

Quote:
To the members and supporters of the Collingwood Football Club,

It is with great pride and a hint of sadness today that I announce my retirement.

In the end it was the injuries that got the better of me.

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for all the support you have given me over my 12 seasons with the 'Pies.

I arrived at the club as a 19-year old kid with a dream, knowing little about the Collingwood Football Club, its rich history and what it stood for.

I leave now with Black and White flowing through my veins.

Thank you for accepting me as the person and player that I am; for supporting me despite my flaws as a player and for celebrating my successes along the way.

I leave knowing that I gave everything I had; in my preparation, my training and every time I had the privilege of pulling on the black and white stripes.

I never took the responsibility of leading this great club for granted; it was a role I cherished and poured everything into.

I will always have wonderful memories of our 2010 Premiership; I say 'our' because it belongs to you as much as it does to me or anyone else who supports the club.

We are in a period of transition as I write this; there will be many challenges ahead, with which comes great opportunity.

I ask for your continued support of Eddie McGuire, Gary Pert and Nathan Buckley as they do all that they can to bring you - us - more success.

This competition is not easy - on or off the field - and we cannot achieve anything unless we stand side by side.

I have seen the blood, sweat and tears that are shed every day at the Collingwood Football Club and I trust the people leading us are the best around.

Believe in the people and the club that has brought us all together as I do.

Once again, thank you for all your support.

Side by Side,

Nick Maxwell

Well said.

magpie1111 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:02 pm

Cheers Maxy 2010
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:14 pm

No 2010 premiership without Nick, touch right on the goal line and mark were truly heroic and will go down in history as part of the reason we were able to draw the first grand final. Congratulations on a great career where you made the most out of your opportunities despite an arduous and difficult road along the way.
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:15 pm

sixpoints wrote:
For someone who was overlooked in the draft and then rejected by a couple of clubs he then trialled with....

He ends up being given a rookie chance by our club and plays 200 games, is named All Australian and he not just plays in, but he ends up captaining our club to a premiership.

It's the stuff of legends and that's exactly what Nick Maxwell is......a legend.

Well said. An great example for all footballers given a chance to play AFL.
Do your bloody best and you never know.
All the best Maxy, gonna miss ya mate.

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 pm

I don't get a lot right these days, but can recall 2008 against Geelong we were absolutely smashed and Maxy was the only one to remain with his head high, trying to encourage all to keep trying, they had given up. Anyway I'm pretty sure Maxy kicked 4 that night.

I was working in a office environment at the time and was asked who will be your next captain, without hesitation I said Maxy.

He gave his absolute all, never seen him give up.

Please correct me if I got the year wrong, as I didn't search Google.

Well done Maxy.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Sounds like this was his last year and even might of wanted to retire end of last season
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:21 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Now it's time for the rest of our team galvanize themselves and give everything they've got for the remainder of the season, including our finals campaign, as a way of showing respect for everything Maxy has stood for. There can be no doubt, that Maxy gave us everything he had week in week out. It's time the rest of the team followed suit for the remainder of this season. Win, lose or draw, they owe it to Maxy to have a genuine crack. That's all I ask. That's all I expect. The team's rooms should have a banner up saying "do it for Maxy".

^^ This ^^

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:24 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Thanks for all your hard work Maxy, a sad day, but not many leave a Premiership Captain and Magpie Legend.

5 Maxwell Moments

5. Dive on Line to save us in 2010 GF Draw
4. Undertaker choke slam tackle on Max Rooke 2007 Prelim
3. Tagging Scott Thompson out of game in 2008 EF
2. Goading Eddiesmith with his premiership medal in 2010.
1. Backing into a rampaging Johnathan Brown in 2006.

Lovely little video montage up on the CFC website now which includes that tackle on Rooke. Thanks 3rd, I'd forgotten it. Love the second effort to run down Farmer v the Dockers too.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Bucks2014 wrote:
I don't get a lot right these days, but can recall 2008 against Geelong we were absolutely smashed and Maxy was the only one to remain with his head high, trying to encourage all to keep trying, they had given up. Anyway I'm pretty sure Maxy kicked 4 that night.

I was working in a office environment at the time and was asked who will be your next captain, without hesitation I said Maxy.

He gave his absolute all, never seen him give up.

Please correct me if I got the year wrong, as I didn't search Google.

Well done Maxy.

ahhhh thank you, you've reminded me that one day when I was talking to Maxy I said to him........ 'You're going to be our next captain' and he laughed and said 'thanks for the vote of confidence Jacqui, but I don't think so'......

I reminded him about our conversation the next time I saw him after he'd been announced as Captain lol

Last edited by Proud Pies on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: