Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kyle Martin.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
John Wren wrote:
^why do you say that we are rebuilding? this is not a rebuild. we still have the core of our structure in place. we are far from rebuilding.

its a rebuild
started ať the end of 2012
It is the oné thing that bucks has got right so far

Not sure that you'd call it a rebuild but whatever it is started after the GF in 2010 with so many players departing. Has been significant turnover in the list since then but teams that are rebuilding don't try to fill gaps with short term quick fix players like Krakouer, Buckley, Russell, Lynch and Young.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:38 pm

jackcass wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
John Wren wrote:
^why do you say that we are rebuilding? this is not a rebuild. we still have the core of our structure in place. we are far from rebuilding.

its a rebuild

Not sure that you'd call it a rebuild but whatever it is started after the GF in 2010 with so many players departing. Has been significant turnover in the list since then but teams that are rebuilding don't try to fill gaps with short term quick fix players like Krakouer, Buckley, Russell, Lynch and Young.

I disagree Jordan Russell could have been a 200 Game player for us , a bit like Brad Plain.

www.facebook/the hybernators
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

3rd degree wrote:
jackcass wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
John Wren wrote:

its a rebuild

I disagree Jordan Russell could have been a 200 Game player for us , a bit like Brad Plain.

Didn't totally discount that possibility 3D, just thought it unlikely he'd be retained on the list till he was 67 to allow him the time needed to reach the 200 game milestone.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Museman wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
Transplant Kyle Martin into the mid-90's and he'd be an out-and-out star at AFL level.
A natural footballer that has had to work on his athletic aspects to get a look in in the modern game.

A bit sad the way it's going isn't it??
Football ability should be more important in playing football at the highest level than the ability to run back and forth all day..... but unfortunately, it's not the case the way the game is being coached at the moment..........

fook off the interchange and voila....all fixed.

I've been saying the same thing for 3-4 years.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Not rebuilding.

Just building.

It will be an ongoing process for at least as long as Bucks is coach.

Geelong will be in the shit shortly because they stopped building and played the same 22 for three years. Buckley will never make that mistake.

Martin 2.0 will be released shortly and I reckon he'll be a hit. Some of us will wonder why Bucks didn't get him out there earlier and some of us will marvel at the abilities of our precocious master coach.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:49 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Stupied wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Very small sample size, and he went pretty much as I would have expected in those games.

Anyway, my only point above was that VFL is very different to AFL. Saying a player must be selected because he got plenty of ball in the VFL is too simplistic.

If others think Martin deserves a game based on the attributes he can bring to the senior side, fine. My opinion is that he's not really what we need, but given that we are struggling I could see him getting a game. Now we'll see what the selectors think.

Your logic is $£$%^%%$ horrible.

I think you'll find it's perfectly sound. Your reading of it may not be though Wink.

Stupied wrote:

Martin is running rampant in the reserves, racking up ridiculous numbers and kicking goals.

Yes he is. As he did last year.

Stupied wrote:

Blair is failing to have any significant impact in the seniors, and has been for many weeks.

Depends on your definition of significant, but ok, he's not exactly dominating.

Stupied wrote:

Martin is capable of playing the same role as Blair, and Eade has publicly said that they are competing with each other for the same role.

Capable of playing the same role as Blair? Broadly, as in small forward, or in full detail? I'd come close to accepting either, but for me it's part of the reason I'm not clamouring for his inclusion (I'll explain later). I've not heard Eade's comments.

Stupied wrote:

Seems like a no brainer,

I don't see it as such. I think it's a marginal selection call that's not likely to have a great deal of impact on the side.

Stupied wrote:

but according to you, VFL is different to AFL, so there's no point in upgrading a guy who is performing to an exceptional standard, because some other guy who got promoted to the seniors had no impact in his two games there.

This was not my point at all. It was simply that the AFL and VFL are different levels. To simply say that someone is doing very well in the VFL means they must play AFL is simplistic. I just used Broomhead, and his AFL vs VFL form as an example. It's not at all to say that Martin should not be called up, or Broomhead for that matter.

It's my opinion in fact that Broomhead will play against Adelaide and that Martin probably will too.

Stupied wrote:

Martin is a bloody clever player. He spreads as well as anyone and is very smart about where he runs to. He has a knack of knowing where the ball will end up going before it happens. He is easily the best performed VFL player in the league this year, all while being tagged every week. He destroyed Jackson this year from the Tigers, who is one of the few players to have ever successfully tagged Ablett in the past few years.

No arguments here. He is an excellent player at VFL level, and I'm sure he could be a decent player at AFL level.

Now I've answered your points, I'll again state my views on Martin, because somehow I have the reputation for not liking the bloke and not wanting him in the team. Not sure how that happened Very Happy.

I'd be perfectly happy for Martin to be in the team, he certainly has some ability and has the potential to be a decent player at the senior level. What I disagree with, is the view that he must be in the team and is a no brainer selection. For me, the question of Martin vs Blair is a minor one. We have the incumbent small forward who's doing a decent job (averaging 15 disposals) and the potential small forward who so far in his senior career averaged 16 disposals and 1.5 goals (against Melbourne, Bulldogs, Brisbane and one other team). Martin has shown excellent form in the VFL, Blair's form has been only decent in the seniors, so I understand why a swap might be on the cards.

So yes, you could replace Blair with Martin, I would not complain, but to me it's more of a like for like than I'd like. I see both more as inside mids who are forced to play forward due to lack of size, strength and pace. Martin at AFL level is not going to create a lot of goals, he'll get on the end of it and finish nicely, but not much more. In fact, I'd back Blair to create more goals overall than Martin, with his in and under work. Really, in the seniors Martin is going to need to be as much of a defensive forward as Blair, because he doesn't have the assets to be a quality offensive small forward. Ideally, if I'm replacing Blair in the side, and I'd like to if Goldsack is in the forward line, I'd want a truly creative and attacking forward option, eg. Fasolo rather than Martin.

Finally, I'll say it again: I do not dislike Martin in any way. I am not against his selection, and would be happy for him if he were to be picked. It is just my opinion that if we are replacing Blair, Martin's not the ideal option, as he has too many of the same limitations and will need to play a similar type of role.

Goal kicking midfielder is his bag, that's exactly where we should play him; you could play Beams in Blairs role and get better results

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:22 pm

jackcass wrote:
3rd degree wrote:
jackcass wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
John Wren wrote:

its a rebuild

Didn't totally discount that possibility 3D, just thought it unlikely he'd be retained on the list till he was 67 to allow him the time needed to reach the 200 game milestone.

Someone to keep the Big Fish company; makes sense!

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 pm

I can't believe it ! I've just seen the teams and Kyle has missed out on senior selection again!

Might start a new thread about it.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I can't believe it ! I've just seen the teams and Kyle has missed out on senior selection again!

Might start a new thread about it.

Bucks must be giving the 3rd towel boy a run.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:51 am

No, I heard a rumour that 3TB did a calf at training and will miss. Damn this overtraining. Really, what is the problem? Are they being made to carry towels that are too heavy for the modern game?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:42 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
No, I heard a rumour that 3TB did a calf at training and will miss. Damn this overtraining. Really, what is the problem? Are they being made to carry towels that are too heavy for the modern game?

Didn't factor in the wet weight of the towels... just an oversight but clearly the towel coach will have to go. 3TB should only miss the 1 week but these injuries are relatively new and they are only now learning how to manage them.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:50 am

jackcass wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Didn't factor in the wet weight of the towels... just an oversight but clearly the towel coach will have to go. 3TB should only miss the 1 week but these injuries are relatively new and they are only now learning how to manage them.

Gold Twisted Evil Razz Laughing

Simply bloody brilliant Smile
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Confirmed by Bucks he's getting upgraded tomorrow!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm

didick wrote:

You'd think that means he'll be in the side, as why else upgrade him?

This suggests we could well have 4-5 changes to our team this week with:

Ins: Keeffe, Reid, Elliott, Martin, Broomhead

Outs: Young, Ball, Maxy (ret), Swan (inj), Blair/Thomas
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:07 pm

didick wrote:

images.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10   

Jump to: