Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kyle Martin.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 am
Post subject: Kyle Martin.Reply with quote

Last week had 38 disposals(26contested) -kicked 1,4 and had 15 clearances, obviously not good enough to make the bests list, but a handy game all the same.

How this bloke hasn't been promoted is one of life's great mysteries, if he does get promoted i reckon Bucks will play him in the ruck.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we give this kid a game after getting smashed in the midfield for the last month
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:23 am

There's no questioning his numbers - always finds the ball and uses it well. Why he doesn't get a game in the seniors is beyond me unless the club believe he isn't good enough yet. Haven't seen a lot of him so I can't comment on his defensive game but could that be a reason why or have we got too many players like him who are ahead at this point in time. I believe he deserves a shot though; he's certainly working hard enough to earn it. If we don't then he would surely go to another club where he had more opportunities.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:24 am

Those stats are even more impressive seeing he spent most of the match being tagged.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:46 am

If he doesn't get his chance after the disgraceful performances our senior team has put up over the last 2 weeks he should quit, 15 clearances under a tag, and didn't make the VFL bests PMSL.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:51 am

Since he's an inside mid, perhaps he could be given the role on Dangerfield, just so we can see how close he is to the mark?
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:55 am

woftam wrote:
Those stats are even more impressive seeing he spent most of the match being tagged.

He was tagged in the first half, ran his opponent into the ground, and then was allowed to roam free in the second half. His first half opponent looked like he was about to spew from exhaustion by half time.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:36 am

Broomhead had 36 touches. How many did he get at AFL level when we played him earlier?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 am

^ Is your attitude pure willful ignorance? Martin has already played senior football and already been good at that level - much better than several of our senior regulars. In his two and a half senior games, Martin got a fair number of possessions and averaged two goals per game - i.e., four times more effective than Blair on the scoreboard. No players in our senior side score at around that two goals per game average apart from Elliott, Cloke, and Beams.

We have reason to be deeply concerned about our selection policy: it's not just Martin, we also keep leaving out Keeffe, despite the fact that he is our only tall defender besides Frost. Why? What is the reasoning behind deliberately crippling our side by leaving out quality players with good records? (If Brown was fit, Keeffe would be on the selection fringe. Without Brown, he is a no-brainer. He's had a couple of poor games out of a dozen or more, but otherwise been good. Compare with (for example) White, who has had a couple of good games out of the 14 or so he's played.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:00 am

^^Very small sample size, and he went pretty much as I would have expected in those games.

Anyway, my only point above was that VFL is very different to AFL. Saying a player must be selected because he got plenty of ball in the VFL is too simplistic.

If others think Martin deserves a game based on the attributes he can bring to the senior side, fine. My opinion is that he's not really what we need, but given that we are struggling I could see him getting a game. Now we'll see what the selectors think.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:42 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Broomhead had 36 touches. How many did he get at AFL level when we played him earlier?

The problem for VFL players stepping up is they play all their football in the midfield & then are expected to play solely in the forward line when they step up to AFL. A few midfield minutes for Broomy & Martin wouldn't hurt if they are selected in the one's. We aren't getting much from ours at the moment anyway. Being smashed in clearances & contested ball for weeks.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:45 am
Post subject: Re: Kyle Martin.Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
Last week had 38 disposals(26contested) -kicked 1,4 and had 15 clearances, obviously not good enough to make the bests list, but a handy game all the same.

How this bloke hasn't been promoted is one of life's great mysteries, if he does get promoted i reckon Bucks will play him in the ruck.

It's obvious. The Collingwood brains trust has NFI!

If Bucks is so attached to his useless assistants then he can take a running jump as well. I'd sack ALL our assistants in a heartbeat. Robert Harvey was a good instinctive footballer, but he won't challenge anybody in the IQ stakes. But then he's not Robinson Crusoe is he? How that twerp Lappin ever got hired by our club is probably an even greater mystery than Martin not being promoted. Evil or Very Mad

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:49 am

Defender wrote:
If he doesn't get his chance after the disgraceful performances our senior team has put up over the last 2 weeks he should quit, 15 clearances under a tag, and didn't make the VFL bests PMSL.

Maxy didn't quit.

Rejected by club after club and stuck at it.

Martin might not be getting a chance to shine at AFL level but he is getting a chance to demonstrate persistence, determination, humility, self-belief.

I hope he does this rather than spit the dummy and have a sook like you are recommending he does.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:49 am

Tannin wrote:
^ Is your attitude pure willful ignorance? Martin has already played senior football and already been good at that level - much better than several of our senior regulars. In his two and a half senior games, Martin got a fair number of possessions and averaged two goals per game - i.e., four times more effective than Blair on the scoreboard. No players in our senior side score at around that two goals per game average apart from Elliott, Cloke, and Beams.

We have reason to be deeply concerned about our selection policy: it's not just Martin, we also keep leaving out Keeffe, despite the fact that he is our only tall defender besides Frost. Why? What is the reasoning behind deliberately crippling our side by leaving out quality players with good records? (If Brown was fit, Keeffe would be on the selection fringe. Without Brown, he is a no-brainer. He's had a couple of poor games out of a dozen or more, but otherwise been good. Compare with (for example) White, who has had a couple of good games out of the 14 or so he's played.

I think the answer is patently obvious Tannin. They have NFI! Evil or Very Mad

Considering all the talent that was supposed to be on the list when Bucks took over, Tony Shaw made a better fist of coaching. Keep chewing those cool mints and picking your favs Bucks. Razz Rolling Eyes

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:24 am

woftam wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

The problem for VFL players stepping up is they play all their football in the midfield & then are expected to play solely in the forward line when they step up to AFL. A few midfield minutes for Broomy & Martin wouldn't hurt if they are selected in the one's. We aren't getting much from ours at the moment anyway. Being smashed in clearances & contested ball for weeks.

incorrect. all our midfielders run through the forward line. there have been games when our mids have been played solely as forwards either for a quarter or for a game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10   

Jump to: