Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Kyle Martin.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
Martin deserves another shot at it and he was far from our worst last night.

I wouldn't mind knowing who you think was our worst last night.

I wanted him to get a shot, and I want him to have another one after last night, but be honest, he was awful last night.

Give him another 2 weeks, he'll come good.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:

I wanted him to get a shot, and I want him to have another one after last night, but be honest, he was awful last night.

+1

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:38 pm

I suspect Blair is getting some relief from the usual haters because he played in the middle last night. I'm a Blair supporter, but to be honest I thought we got beaten out of the centre of the ground, which puts it into some perspective. What it also shows me, though, is that small forward is perhaps the hardest role to play of all - move a small forward into the middle, and they look a lot better.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:21 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:

Tend to agree, maybe Young had less impact.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:46 pm

I think Seedsman was our worst for most of the night, but improved towards the end.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Seedsman had a shocker I agree. Can't play in the back line if you can't spoil .

Martin had stage fright hopefully better for the run.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:46 pm

BBHS wrote:
Seedsman had a shocker I agree. Can't play in the back line if you can't spoil .

Seedsman = Ryan Lonie Mk II.
Dashing wingman with a penetrating rocket attached to one leg, try to turn him into a defender and ruin his career. "History, never repeats.........." Rolling Eyes

Martin is class.
The few times he looked like a dear in the headlights was when he had nobody to kick or handball to due to our "structures".

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
woodisgood Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Mugwump wrote:
I suspect Blair is getting some relief from the usual haters because he played in the middle last night. I'm a Blair supporter, but to be honest I thought we got beaten out of the centre of the ground, which puts it into some perspective. What it also shows me, though, is that small forward is perhaps the hardest role to play of all - move a small forward into the middle, and they look a lot better.

Small forward is a very hard position to play, and even harder id you arent a natural forward.

Recruiting a natural crumber should be a priority, as there is a limit to what you are going to get rotating average to competent midfielders through there endlessly. Blair has shown, often enough, that his natural instincts as a forward arent great. Which probably isnt surprsing as he isnt a natural forward.

Winston Churchill
Big T 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:01 pm

King Monkey wrote:
BBHS wrote:

Dashing wingman with a penetrating rocket attached to one leg, try to turn him into a defender and ruin his career. "History, never repeats.........." Rolling Eyes

Martin is class.
The few times he looked like a dear in the headlights was when he had nobody to kick or handball to due to our "structures".

I agree with this post. Seedsman has Lonie written all over him, sadly.

Martin, give the kid the last five games, let him settle. He will improve rapidly.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:23 pm

It was a big ask for Martin to walk straight in to the seniors and expect to perform having not played a game in the seniors all year. He plays vfl and knows only vfl standard, and so he'll need time to adjust to the rigours of afl at the highest level. We've promoted him for a reason and now we have to stand by that decision and allow him the chance to prove his worth in the side.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:58 pm

King Monkey wrote:
BBHS wrote:

Martin is class.

Seedsman is a year younger than Martin. He has therefore been thrown into
the senior side at a much younger age. You can look to compare one player against another, but quite frankly for a very young player Seedsman has shown signs of being quite good. I'm not sold on him, but this hype about Martin needs to bear fruit comparatively quickly.
Its not OK that Seedsman who was thrown to the wolves at a much younger age is written off compared to Martin who was not subjected to senior AFL footy at a comparable age and quite frankly for his age, he has produced next to nothing at senior AFL level.
I hope they both make it. But useless comparisons glean nothing.
I wish Kyle Martin well, but a surprising stat is that 10 of our 22 against Adelaide were younger than him.
The reality is that Martin is even older than Steele Sidebottom who is a premiership player with 122 games under his belt.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:46 pm

^The Seedsman/Lonie comparison is towards the way both players have been handled by their coaches rather than comparing "player to player."
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:27 pm

sixpoints wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
BBHS wrote:

Martin is class.

Seedsman is a year younger than Martin. He has therefore been thrown into
the senior side at a much younger age. You can look to compare one player against another, but quite frankly for a very young player Seedsman has shown signs of being quite good. I'm not sold on him, but this hype about Martin needs to bear fruit comparatively quickly.
Its not OK that Seedsman who was thrown to the wolves at a much younger age is written off compared to Martin who was not subjected to senior AFL footy at a comparable age and quite frankly for his age, he has produced next to nothing at senior AFL level.
I hope they both make it. But useless comparisons glean nothing.
I wish Kyle Martin well, but a surprising stat is that 10 of our 22 against Adelaide were younger than him.
The reality is that Martin is even older than Steele Sidebottom who is a premiership player with 122 games under his belt.

You're putting too much stock in his age vs his experience. He didn't start playing footy seriously until late, improved dramatically, and was suddenly thrust into a rookie list. I doubt there are many other players who have only been given the opportunity to play 5 afl games who have produced anything particularly noteworthy either.

Keep him in for the rest of the year. Some continuous exposure to top level footy should at least tell us whether he has the goods to play at the top level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: