Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Public support for same-sex marriage on the rise

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Man it's embarrassing.

I see this as no difference to saying someone can't marry because of skin colour or religion.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:09 pm

David wrote:
The Labor conference has been a bit of a disappointment for supporters of same-sex marriage. They're sticking with the conscience vote until 2019, apparently.

Good lord, if we can't get the law passed before then...

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2015/jul/26/alp-conference-2015-same-sex-marriage-and-party-rules-in-the-spotlight-politics-live

What is your problem with the conscience vote?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:39 am

It's a discrimination issue. There is no room for religious votes when human rights are at stake.

^ Or that is how the proponents see it. Myself, I still hold the view that the state shouldn't make any legislation about marriage. It's entirely a private matter and the state has no business meddling with it. But if you aren't going to recognise all marriages, then you shouldn't recognise any of them. No discriminating between sexes, sexual preferences, races, religions: same law for everyone.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:47 am

David wrote:
The Labor conference has been a bit of a disappointment for supporters of same-sex marriage. They're sticking with the conscience vote until 2019, apparently.

Labor no doubt hopes that it does take until then, coz in the meantime Abbott and his 1950s cronies just look further and further out of touch.

Abbott is smart enough (i.e., IQ probably a little over 70) to know just how bad his stance is for him electorally, but he is so wedded to his ultra-conservative ideology that he can't cope with doing what he knows he needs to do. He is seriously wedged by this issue, and he hasn't got a clue how to deal with it. Watching him squirm around digging himself in ever deeper is almost as much fun as watching England lose by 405 runs.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:43 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2015/jul/26/alp-conference-2015-same-sex-marriage-and-party-rules-in-the-spotlight-politics-live

What is your problem with the conscience vote?

It's a completely artificial construct that was basically used by Gillard to squib a hard decision and sabotage the work of progressives in the party.

It's not that I have an ideological opposition to 'conscience votes' per se. Perhaps if parties allowed their members free votes on everything, our political system would work much better. But if you're going to enforce a binding vote on 99% of issues, a conscience vote becomes nothing more than an act of political cowardice.

If they must have conscience votes, they should leave it for policies where lives might be at stake, like warfare or refugee policy. There is nothing special about the issue of same-sex marriage that warrants an exemption for conscientious objectors. It's a matter of basic rights.

The ALP is so insular that they genuinely think this ridiculous compromise is something to celebrate. Look at them, Shorten, Wong and Plibersek, standing triumphantly on the podium like they've just managed a ceasefire in Ukraine. Back here in the real world, it just looks like yet another chapter in ALP gutless wonderdom.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:02 am

swoop42 wrote:
It's a little known fact that Eve developed gender dysphoria in her early childhood, by her early teens had started hormone theory and come her 19th birthday had gender reassignment surgery.

Eve is now Steve and wants to marry.

Christ you guys are hard to please.

This is gold baby.

In the words of Lazza...

Rolling Eyes

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:07 pm

I hear the the ALP are going to leave this issue to a conscience vote until 2019. What does that actually mean?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:18 pm

^ It means that they have a large majority in favour, easily enough to make it official policy, but there are a few die-hard troglodytes with quite a lot of power in the party still (notably the hard-line right-wing Catholic head of the shop assistants' union, who really should be in Family First or the DLP rather than Labor), and the Labor majority obviously feel that it is wiser not to antagonise them where there is no need. Labor can't pass the legislation without support from some non-Labor MHRs and senators anyway, so it really makes no practical difference whether they make it official policy or not.

By delaying the implementation until 2019 they avoid a messy fight with the troglodytes. By 2019, they no doubt assume, the legislation will long since have been passed so it won't be an issue, and by then - who knows? - perhaps some of the troglodytes will have departed. As for the troglodytes themselves, they know they are heavily outnumbered and no doubt feel that this result was the best they could have hoped for.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:21 pm

I like to learn new words.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:42 pm

Tannin wrote:
It's a discrimination issue. There is no room for religious votes when human rights are at stake.

^ Or that is how the proponents see it. Myself, I still hold the view that the state shouldn't make any legislation about marriage. It's entirely a private matter and the state has no business meddling with it. But if you aren't going to recognise all marriages, then you shouldn't recognise any of them. No discriminating between sexes, sexual preferences, races, religions: same law for everyone.

Agree completely. My only problem with the decision (apart from it being a massive squib - again...) is that it give Abbott license to force the Libs to adopt a binding votes as well where things were actually moving in the opposite direction...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm not too worried about that - Abbott was already unlikely to grant a conscience vote (the majority of the party room are staunchly anti-gay marriage), and his unenthusiastic response to the Entsch bill suggests that he was going to do everything he could to block a cross-party move.

But either way, why on earth would Labor let a government like this dictate their policy on an issue of social progress? If nothing else, it's a tremendous and unjustified leap of faith.

The clear choice for Labor was to bind their members, make it an election issue and win. Unfortunately, as you say, they squibbed it again, and now there's a chance that they could win the election and still not be able to pass it.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ It means that they have a large majority in favour, easily enough to make it official policy, but there are a few die-hard troglodytes with quite a lot of power in the party still (notably the hard-line right-wing Catholic head of the shop assistants' union, who really should be in Family First or the DLP rather than Labor), and the Labor majority obviously feel that it is wiser not to antagonise them where there is no need. Labor can't pass the legislation without support from some non-Labor MHRs and senators anyway, so it really makes no practical difference whether they make it official policy or not.

By delaying the implementation until 2019 they avoid a messy fight with the troglodytes. By 2019, they no doubt assume, the legislation will long since have been passed so it won't be an issue, and by then - who knows? - perhaps some of the troglodytes will have departed. As for the troglodytes themselves, they know they are heavily outnumbered and no doubt feel that this result was the best they could have hoped for.

So basically they've put it on hold until 2019? So the only way it'll get up before then is if the Libs or maybe state governments bring it in?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:10 pm

What will happen is that, if Labor win the next election - presuming Abbott doesn't surprise us all and allow his MPs a free vote - they'll put a same-sex marriage bill on the table within a few months of gaining office. Most government MPs and Senators will vote in favour, but a small number won't. If the election is close, this will mean that the Shorten government may have to rely on crossbenchers and/or opposition backbenchers to get the bill passed. If they can't get the numbers, they'll have to keep trying or wait for a new election in 2019, at which point the party's position on same-sex marriage will become binding on all members. By which stage, they might have lost government again!

To be honest, I think it will pass soon after the next election, so long as Labor win. But they certainly did the cause no favours yesterday.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Don't forget that Libs can cross the floor but Labor cant, so if Labor brings a vote then the few Nat/Lib floor crossers could bring it over the edge (if any of them hold strong enough views, not sure they do).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Yes, I suspect that's right. You'd think the Lib backbenchers who have already spoken out in favour would cross the floor, so, given the current numbers, it's hard to see a Lower House vote failing.

Where it might run into trouble is the Senate. There's already a mix of views amongst the crossbenchers, and it's hard to say for sure that it'd have the numbers after the half-election if a few Labor Senators vote against. Again, I expect it'll pass, but it's not quite set in stone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: