Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Public support for same-sex marriage on the rise

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 pm
Post subject: Public support for same-sex marriage on the riseReply with quote

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/poll-shows-growing-support-for-samesex-marriage-20140714-3bxaj.html

Quote:
Almost three-quarters of Australians (72%) now support legalising same-sex marriage, including around half (48%) ‘strongly supporting’ it. Just a fifth (21%) opposed this to any degree with those strongly opposed, a small and shrinking 14%.

Even though it might not be enough given the numbers in the house of reps, Tony Abbott really has to allow a conscience vote on same-sex marriage—not because I necessarily think it should be a matter of 'conscience', but because he at least has to give passing acknowledgement to public sentiment on this issue.

In a way, however, perhaps it's better if he holds firm to his dinosaur beliefs. It's just further material to be used against him in 2016, and an area in which Labor—now that it's official party policy—can finally take some moral high ground on.

Same-sex marriage in Australia will be reality very soon. Our government can choose which side of history they want to be on.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberal Democrats putting forward a bill to deregulate marriage. Not sure why this isn't getting the media play it should, it's de facto legality for gay marriage.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:24 pm

It's been getting a fair bit, at least in the places I've been visiting. Just googled and found this article:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/new-senator-david-leyonhjelm-urges-libertarian-mps-to-come-out-of-the-closet-and-support-samesex-marriage-20140714-3bw6w.html

Quote:
Liberal Democratic senator David Leyonhjelm has called on "true" liberals in the Abbott government to support same-sex marriage, confirming he will move a marriage equality bill as soon as the Coalition agrees to a conscience vote.

Senator Leyonhjelm said on Monday that he would bring a private member's bill to the Parliament to redefine the Marriage Act, which currently defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

He said the bill would ''do what is right for people, our friends, our families, our workmates and thousands of people we represent in Parliament''.

''I ask you to understand that the liberties you care about should be available to everybody, and that there is no place in Australia for second-class citizens,'' Senator Leyonhjelm told reporters in Canberra.

''Today, whatever your political affiliations, the Liberal Democrats are asking all of the closet libertarians in Parliament to come out of the closet.''

He exhorted Labor leader Bill Shorten and Prime Minister Tony Abbott to support his bid to give same-sex couples marriage rights.

''Today, I challenge Mr Shorten and Labor Party members to look Senator [Penny] Wong in the eye and tell her she does not deserve equal rights. Today, I challenge Mr Abbott and Liberal Party members to do the same with Mr Abbott's sister,'' he said.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Did you believe him?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:21 pm

I suppose the real question is whether when they look Penny in the eye and say that, they mean it or have their tongues in their cheeks.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Let them suffer too
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 pm

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:34 pm

How the **** did you do that?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:20 am

This should give things a kick alone in the polls: http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/convicted-killers-marc-goodwin-and-mikhail-gallatinov-marry-in-uks-first-same-sex-prison-wedding/story-fnh81p7g-1227285260968
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:49 am

I don't get it. Are they taking the piss, or is this an extreme example of homophobia equalling repressed homosexuality?

In principle, though, I have no issue with prisoners marrying.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:36 am

I never got the big deal about same-sex marriage, if someone wants to marry the one they love then who gives a shit? It's pretty messed up there's a TV show coming to Australia (One Nine, something about "love at first sight.") where a person can marry someone they just met, yet those that love each other cannot marry...

I think there are bigger issues in the world than worrying about two people of the same sex getting married, so I don't see why we won't allow it.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:45 am

I think that's pretty much the mainstream view right there: why not?

I'm actually amazed that there are still as many as 25% who oppose same-sex marriage. Apart from conservative Christians/Muslims/Jews and old-timers in the bush, who would?

Julia Gillard (who does not belong to either of the above demographics) should hang her head in shame that she worked so hard to block this. It would have passed in 2011 if she hadn't pushed so hard for a conscience vote. It would have passed both houses then, and even this government would have been unlikely to repeal it. Now we have to wait until Zombie Abbott finally gets put out to pasture.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 pm

People who are against it are usually concerned about homosexuals, not just getting married but adopting children. I find this to be a somewhat compelling argument against it and there is no doubt that that is the end game.

The easiest solution is to simply remove government from marriage altogether, let it all be decided through contract law and be done with it. Religions can then have their own ceremonies and not have to worry about whatever it is they're worried about (homosexuals marrying in churches? Not sure).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:11 pm

David wrote:
I think that's pretty much the mainstream view right there: why not?

I'm actually amazed that there are still as many as 25% who oppose same-sex marriage. Apart from conservative Christians/Muslims/Jews and old-timers in the bush, who would?

Julia Gillard (who does not belong to either of the above demographics) should hang her head in shame that she worked so hard to block this. It would have passed in 2011 if she hadn't pushed so hard for a conscience vote. It would have passed both houses then, and even this government would have been unlikely to repeal it. Now we have to wait until Zombie Abbott finally gets put out to pasture.

I think you forgot plain old non-religious bigots. There's still plenty of them about. Actual old people with actual 1950s values.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:50 pm

I have no Problems with Same-Sex Marrige.

They want to get Married, Why stop them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: