Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Israeli/Palestinian conflict: will it ever end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
I don't in any way think the government of the Gaza Strip are blameless in this. As I've said somewhere else in the thread, I think they're probably even less reasonable than the Israeli government and possibly a lot scarier if they had access to the same weaponry. But they don't. They're minnows in every respect compared to Israel—standard of living, access to resources, weaponry—and their casualties are always much, much higher in these conflicts. So, I don't heap all the blame on Israel, but I don't apportion equal share of responsibility, either. Israel are the bigger force here and they have to take the higher ground.

Why? if you don't have a gun but you keep throwing rocks at a man who does until he cracks and shoots you, why is the fault his?

I'm not going to be throwing rocks at your letterbox Very Happy. Especially not if you own a gun Razz.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
I don't in any way think the government of the Gaza Strip are blameless in this. As I've said somewhere else in the thread, I think they're probably even less reasonable than the Israeli government and possibly a lot scarier if they had access to the same weaponry. But they don't. They're minnows in every respect compared to Israel—standard of living, access to resources, weaponry—and their casualties are always much, much higher in these conflicts. So, I don't heap all the blame on Israel, but I don't apportion equal share of responsibility, either. Israel are the bigger force here and they have to take the higher ground.

Why? if you don't have a gun but you keep throwing rocks at a man who does until he cracks and shoots you, why is the fault his?

I'm not going to be throwing rocks at your letterbox Very Happy. Especially not if you own a gun Razz.

Just recently bought one, planning on buying another soon. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Why do you want two letterboxes?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 pm

So when someone throws rocks at one and I shoot them, I have a spare. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Is there someone who posts regularly in VPT you'd like to test you and throw some rocks at your letterbox so you could shoot em?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:38 pm

LOL, nah, this is all bullshit argy bargy fun and games. Nothing happening here worth holding grudges about let alone getting physical, if some twat annoys you , you can put them on ignore.

So, having said that, dance varmint.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:46 pm

I'm thinking conair
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 am

swoop42 wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Obama wasn't a slave nor does he have slave ancestry. His father is Kenyan and his Mother is white.

And raised for the most part by his mothers white grandparents wasn't he?

Obama is bi-racial.

Fact.

Yet we are continued to be told he's African American.

Amazing how far white liberal guilt has taken us.

Hell it's even overcome what would otherwise be considered the blatant sexism of his mother being practically wiped from his lineage.

Hmm. Probably not.

It's far more likely you're just struggling to cope with a world where you don't control other people's identities in the same way you did back in primary school.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:52 am

And the leader of the white liberal guilt party has his say.

His mother is white.

Fact.

He's biracial.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/biracial

It's pretty simple.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:05 am

swoop42 wrote:
And the leader of the white liberal guilt party has his say.

His mother is white.

Fact.

He's biracial.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/biracial

It's pretty simple.

Nope, sorry. That's identity for dummies.

Like all of us, he's as he chooses identify, no matter how hard you suckle upon the breast of certainty to comfort yourself.

As you mature you'll become more comfortable with identity being both complex and largely outside your control.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Because killing someone is still a crime even if they were throwing rocks at you. And if you accidentally shoot five bystanders while killing him, that's an even graver crime.

Self-defence has to be proportionate.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:49 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Because killing someone is still a crime even if they were throwing rocks at you. And if you accidentally shoot five bystanders while killing him, that's an even graver crime.

Self-defence has to be proportionate.

Proportionate self defence is a bullshit legal quibble. Why should a victim of violence have to make graduated responses to the violence of an instigator. How do I know if someone who's broken into my house has a knife, a stick, a gun? If somebody has breached the social contract and invaded my property, they're leaving in a bag. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 because I was worried about 'proportional self defence'.

If someone is throwing rocks, they're intending to hurt or kill. If they continue throwing rocks at someone with a gun, they're going to get shot.

This of course has nothing to do with a modern military response to home made rocketry.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:24 am

But even you agree with me in principle because you presuumably don't think it's ok to kill someone who just slapped you in the face, or punched you, or even stole your wallet. It's one thing to use all possible means to defend your person; quite another to pull out a knife and stab Jim at the pub to death because he's getting a bit punchy. We don't live in a prehistoric forest. So, you obviously agree that self-defence should be proportionate; you just perhaps have a wider interpretation of what 'proportionate' means.

The Israeli government do, however, seem to think that proportionate self-defence is "bullshit". A lot of innocent lives are being lost because of that mentality.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DPcmDsCQ4
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:13 pm

David wrote:
But even you agree with me in principle because you presuumably don't think it's ok to kill someone who just slapped you in the face, or punched you, or even stole your wallet. It's one thing to use all possible means to defend your person; quite another to pull out a knife and stab Jim at the pub to death because he's getting a bit punchy. We don't live in a prehistoric forest. So, you obviously agree that self-defence should be proportionate; you just perhaps have a wider interpretation of what 'proportionate' means.

The Israeli government do, however, seem to think that proportionate self-defence is "bullshit". A lot of innocent lives are being lost because of that mentality.

Plenty of other places agree. You break into a house in some USA states the home owner can legally kill you regardless of what weapons you carry, if any.

Sorry, IMO Hamas are playing a game all about soliciting public opinion to their side by sacrificing civilians to the cause. Double win for them. Few less mouths to feed, few more people on the anti Israel bandwagon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 8 of 18   

Jump to: