Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre match. Pies v. Crows - All comments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

rocketronnie wrote:
It makes no sense whatsoever to (a) play an All Australian defender (Reid) in the forward line and (b) an experienced forward (White) in the back line. No sense at all. I'm hoping someone (anyone!) at Collingwood has enough good sense left to see that.

Yeah, I wish Essendon were smart enough to see that playing Carlisle forward was a mistake too. We may have had a chance against them Wink.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Pavlich was an AA defender as well wasn't he?

I recall he went alright up forward.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:18 pm

^^ Keep dreaming boys. Plenty of room on the Titanic.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:35 pm

Lions going in dry on the suns! win tomorrow and we should make the 8.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:38 pm

swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
It makes no sense whatsoever to (a) play an All Australian defender (Reid) in the forward line and (b) an experienced forward (White) in the back line. No sense at all. I'm hoping someone (anyone!) at Collingwood has enough good sense left to see that.

Yeah, I wish Essendon were smart enough to see that playing Carlisle forward was a mistake too. We may have had a chance against them Wink.

Not sure Pav ever played in defence though, didn't they just make him FB to fit him in?

You like this.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:55 pm

He did play in defense. As did Alistair Lynch and David Neitz.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:28 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

Yep and not surprising all quality players just like Reid.

It's silly to pigeon hole a player as one or the other when he's shown talent as both a defender and forward.

He's a swingman so use him as one, my preference only being that he starts being considered a forward and used in defence only when necessary.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm

swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:

Reid was recruited as a forward wasn't he?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:33 pm

swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Yep and not surprising all quality players just like Reid.

It's silly to pigeon hole a player as one or the other when he's shown talent as both a defender and forward.

He's a swingman so use him as one, my preference only being that he starts being considered a forward and used in defence only when necessary.

And a few senior games forward getting some match fitness before we have to send him back would be ideal.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:42 pm

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:

Reid was recruited as a forward wasn't he?

I vividly recall him lining up for goal in a match at Colonial or Telstra or whatever it was called at the time. Twinkle-toes lol.

I was relieved when he went back. But he has to play forward now IMO. I'm hoping to see Cloke and Reid there with White so we can finally see how White goes in the role he was recruited to play - back up ruck and 3rd forward.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:42 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Recent games: Carlisle killed us because we only played one tall defender. Jenkins killed us because we played Keeffe on him one out, close to goal.

If we play Reid forward then we need to ensure that Keeffe and Frost get plenty of help. I'd send Goldsack to defense to fill Toovey's spot, and we will also need our mids to push back and fill the spaces.

I'm tipping Reid starts forward. We need to be positive in this game. Though the chances are he'll move back once they get 5 goals ahead Wink.

I was thinking the same start Goldy back in place of Tooves and also try White back maybe interchange him with Reid so we don't over use Reid in his first serious outing.
3 talls plus Goldy Williams and Hertier should be enough to cover them use Seedsman as the man to run back and fill in gaps from the wing then run forward with his pace.
Got to have someone to watch Sloane he seems to get off the chain against us often. Caff gets Dangerfield. Last time they run Sloane with Beams or Swan who aren't our. Est defensive mids. Thompson also played a bit on Beams so we need to make sure we get some bodies there at stoppages to give Beams and Pendles some space.
If we weren't so short down back (no un intended) I would have sent Goldy to the stoppages to use his tackling and body to give us a chance.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:44 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
It makes no sense whatsoever to (a) play an All Australian defender (Reid) in the forward line and (b) an experienced forward (White) in the back line. No sense at all.

Really? Let's look at it one question at a time.

1: It makes no sense whatsoever to play Reid in the forward line.

Nonsense. We have two capable key backmen. Neither one is up to Reid's standard (at least not yet) but both are competent defenders with generally good form this year. Keeffe has not yet recaptured his best form and has had two bad games out of about 12, but he is a young player on his first year back from a knee reconstruction. In an emergency (if Reid is up forward) we could swap them over - but such an emergency is unlikely, Keeffe has been generally solid and sometimes excellent this year. Frost, the other key, is having a wonderful year. Don't worry about Frostie.

Meanwhile, Reid is playing his first game for the season and cannot be expected to hit his best form from a standing start, and probably only three-quarters fit. At this stage - might be different in a couple of weeks, but I'm talking as of right now - Reid is probably our third best tall defender. As such, Keeffe and Frost should be selected ahead of him.

Half-fit or not, Reid is unquestionably our second-best tall forward. Hell, up until this week with the return of Reid, our previous second-best tall marking forward was 5 feet 9, or 177cm and his name was J. Elliott. And up forward, we are a rabble. Cloke aside, we have nothing at all up forward except Elliott, who has been out injured. We desperately need another marking target to take the heat off Cloke. Whether our decoy tall scores a few himself or simply enables Cloke to compete one-out, that doesn't matter. The fact that Reid can can catch the pill and usually kick it in a generally easterly direction instead of straight OOF is a bonus. Oppositions simply cannot afford to ignore Reid inside 50 the way they ignore our other talls.

2: It makes no sense whatsoever to play White, an experienced forward, in the back line.

Well, he's friggin' useless in the forward line but a handy second ruck, so you've got to play him somewhere. What have we got to lose? It might be just the change he needs to start being taken to the ball and being accountable for someone.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:11 pm

I wouldn't say he's hopeless as a forward, he's hopeless as a Fwd-ruck, I for one want to see more of him as a permanent KF before passing judgement on his forward capabilities.

You like this.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Tooves out now, makes it a bit damn tougher, bloody hell, what a year for injuries. ah well, have to rejig my tip, I still reckon we can do it, but now around 11 points, actually, I will take any win now, by anything. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Personally I think for the first time this season our setup tomorrow of Cloke, Reid, White and just the one genuine ruck is our best mix until one of Witts or Grundy can have more impact up forward and around the ground and press there claims to replace White.

I don't expect miracles tomorrow given that Reid is still underdone but his presence will have a positive flow on affect on both Cloke and White you'd hope.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22   

Jump to: