Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

B.T Gaffe and Ian Thorpe

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Yesterday's hero better than a never

What have you achieved?

He was eloquent, respectful, honest,

Ah I see can't have Aussie sportsmen acting that way hey?

Good on you thorpedo, a great career, and a champion bloke

+1. Well said. It must have been particularly difficult for him to go through what he did. Brave to out himself as he did. Good on him. Do I need this to be on the front page - nope. But good luck to him.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
If I've been reading things correctly it's not just whether Thorpe felt he needed to lie to anyone but that for a fair while there he wasn't sure himself. He needed to process it and be comfortable with who he was before being public with it.

As far as no one being surprised, as he said he was first asked about his sexuality when he was 16. Being a public figure while still technically a child and having your sexuality being put under the microscope would be pretty daunting.

Interesting there's becoming more noise that there is a "gay gene" that determines sexuality. That could make things interesting if it becomes proven.

I'm no expert on genetics, but as far as I can tell it's pretty speculative. There might be a gene that predisposes someone more to homosexuality than heterosexuality, but the idea that there's a gene that determines your sexuality strikes me as odd. But then, what do I know? I find it all very puzzling, and I dare say when you cut through the politics of the matter you'll find most people agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:25 am

Bloody rampant Homosexuals, I mean Homophobia!

http://www.smh.com.au/national/study-shows-gay-athletes-face-rampant-homophobia-20140715-3bzlm.html

Quote:
It started with whispers in the change rooms and ended with a call from his coach.

At 18, Jay Claydon had told close friends and family he was gay. They accepted him. But inside his rugby club, he didn't feel safe coming out. He was right to be fearful.

"At training one night, people were looking at me funny. Somehow they'd found out.

"On the Friday night, I got a call from my coach saying the players had taken a vote at a meeting behind my back and they weren't comfortable having me in the team any more. He said, 'they don't want you to come back.' "

For those who wonder why Australian swimming great Ian Thorpe took so long to come out, Claydon's experience provides some timely and painful answers.

His story forms the backdrop to an alarming new study that reveals 85 per cent of gay athletes have experienced or witnessed homophobic abuse.

In the largest survey of its kind, Out on the Fields paints a picture of a national sporting environment openly hostile to gay and lesbian participants, with half reporting they have been the direct target of verbal threats, bullying, violence or exclusion from sport.

Of those who said they had been targeted, 13 per cent suffered physical assaults.

Claydon, 25, from Alexandria in Sydney, first experienced homophobia at the club that banished him in Christchurch.

But when he moved to Australia in 2008, playing semi-professional rugby at inside-centre for Gordon, the star player found homophobic slurs were an accepted part of sporting culture. At the clubs he played for in Perth and Sydney, he felt compelled to keep his sexuality secret for fear of being ostracised.

Like many who responded to the survey commissioned by organisers of the Bingham Cup, the gay rugby World Cup, to be held in Sydney next month it forced him from the game he loved. It was only last year when he joined the Sydney Convicts, Australia's first gay rugby union club, he found a team where he was free to be himself.

"It's such a stereotype, but at most clubs they see a gay guy and think you can't be sporty or masculine," he said. "They think that you're weak or you're not as tough as them. Even when they didn't know I was gay I'd hear the word '$%^$^' all the time."

The research found the most common form of homophobia was verbal, with 82 per cent saying they had heard, or been the target of, slurs such as "fag", "dyke" or "(I'm a dinosaur)" either as players or spectators.

Backed by the Australian Sports Commission, Victoria University and the Federation of Gay Games, the study involved almost 2500 people at all levels of sport and was split evenly between gay and straight participants, aged 15 upwards.

It found homophobic jokes and casual comments such as "that's so gay" were commonplace. One in five gay and lesbian participants had been excluded from social groups because of their sexuality.

Gay men were much more likely to be targeted than women. The study also revealed one in four straight men had been the target of homophobia.

Channel Seven commentator Brian Taylor called Geelong's Harry Taylor a "big (I'm a dinosaur)" live on Saturday night's pre-game broadcast. "To all of the people who thought that Brian Taylor's comments weren't a big deal, this research shows that homophobic language has a profound impact on our sporting culture," said Jason Ball, the first openly gay Aussie rules footballer at any level of the game. "Until we create a more inclusive sporting culture, people will feel forced to stay in the closet until their careers are over."

In an interview with Michael Parkinson on Sunday night, Thorpe said he had not come out earlier because he was worried Australia would not accept a gay Olympic champion.

Sixty-four per cent of gay and lesbian respondents to the survey said homophobia was more common in sporting environments than in other areas of society.

In April, the heads of Australia's major sporting codes launched a world-first anti-homophobia strategy, pledging to tackle discrimination.

Sydney Swans ruckman and Bingham Cup ambassador Mike Pyke, who helped launch the strategy, said the survey results were disappointing. "Playing sport should be about the love and passion for a game," he said.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:13 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
If I've been reading things correctly it's not just whether Thorpe felt he needed to lie to anyone but that for a fair while there he wasn't sure himself. He needed to process it and be comfortable with who he was before being public with it.

As far as no one being surprised, as he said he was first asked about his sexuality when he was 16. Being a public figure while still technically a child and having your sexuality being put under the microscope would be pretty daunting.

Interesting there's becoming more noise that there is a "gay gene" that determines sexuality. That could make things interesting if it becomes proven.

I'm no expert on genetics, but as far as I can tell it's pretty speculative. There might be a gene that predisposes someone more to homosexuality than heterosexuality, but the idea that there's a gene that determines your sexuality strikes me as odd. But then, what do I know? I find it all very puzzling, and I dare say when you cut through the politics of the matter you'll find most people agree.

Unfortunately politics and science rarely work well together.

One piece. http://theconversation.com/born-this-way-an-evolutionary-view-of-gay-genes-26051

The interesting bit would be if it was proven to be a gene, how would it work if gene selection was allowed? Would it be ethical for hetro parents to select against having a gay child? Would it be eithical for gays to select for a gay child?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Unfortunately politics and science rarely work well together.

One piece. http://theconversation.com/born-this-way-an-evolutionary-view-of-gay-genes-26051

The interesting bit would be if it was proven to be a gene, how would it work if gene selection was allowed? Would it be ethical for hetro parents to select against having a gay child? Would it be eithical for gays to select for a gay child?

I don't really see why not; how can something that doesn't harm anyone really be unethical? Given the current climate on these issues I hardly think it'd be that much of a common phenomenon anywaymost people are pretty relaxed about homosexuality these days (and funnily enough, the ones who aren't are also the ones most likely to be opposed to "playing god" with genetic intervention).

Russia might be a different story, but hey, at least they'd be protecting potential Russian children from a lifetime of misery and oppression.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Of course it's genetics, but so were his big feet, who care as long as he wins?
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Just a bit on Jay Claydon that popped up in my newsfeed last night, seems him getting voted out of the club had nothing whatsoever to do with his sexual orientation...

http://www.humanheadline.com.au/hinch-says/some-poster-boy

Quote:
It is true that the team voted to expel him but not because Claydon was gay. It was because Jay Claydon was charged with the indecent assault of a minor. That charge was later upped to attempted sexual assault and on that he was found not guilty with the judge ruling the prosecution had not proved intent.

Claydons defence was that he was drunk and did not remember any of the events that night.

His alleged victim was eight years old.

A family friend wrote to me and said: Over the last few days I have been reading news articles about Jay Claydon making a brave and courageous stand for gay athletes and I am in full support of what was portrayed in these articles. However he states he was outed by his team and club in NZ for being gay and this is untrue. He was voted out because he was charged for sexually assaulting my close friends 8-year-old son, but got off on a technicality. The rugby club did what they thought was right. It disgusts me he has created this fake backdrop to a more serious issue and he is hiding behind his sexuality to get back at a rugby club that punished him for something the courts failed to do.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 pm

I got nothin
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Obviously puts a very different spin on the story, but the fact remains that he was kicked out of his club for a criminal charge he was found not guilty of. That's wrong.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:17 pm

David wrote:
Obviously puts a very different spin on the story, but the fact remains that he was kicked out of his club for a criminal charge he was found not guilty of. That's wrong.

Oh man David

If you switch courses again, go to civil rights lawyer school

But you'll have to work on the Matthew mccaughtney Abs!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Something I once seriously considered, believe it or not!

(Law, not abs.)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:29 pm

David wrote:
Something I once seriously considered, believe it or not!

(Law, not abs.)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: