Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

B.T Gaffe and Ian Thorpe

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorpe needs to get over the fact that we, as a general public, don't give a shit about him any more. He's yesterday's hero and needs to stop trying to create "look at moi" moments.

Ian - we simply don't care. Now gracefully go away and live your life.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Yesterday's hero better than a never

What have you achieved?

He was eloquent, respectful, honest,

Ah I see can't have Aussie sportsmen acting that way hey?

Good on you thorpedo, a great career, and a champion bloke

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Sorry, I've been away from the news for a few days. Let me see if I've got this straight: Ian Thorpe is doing TV interviews - sort of a sporting version of David Frost, I guess - and his first guest was Brian Tayor, and during the interview BT came out as gay.

Do we care?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Is if he or she've got this Ian Thorpe is doing TV interviews - a sporting version of David Frost he or she guess - and his first guest was Brian Tayor and during the interview BT came out as gay a movie?
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:26 pm

think positive wrote:
Yesterday's hero better than a never

What have you achieved?

He was eloquent, respectful, honest,

Ah I see can't have Aussie sportsmen acting that way hey?

Good on you thorpedo, a great career, and a champion bloke

Word perfect.
Spot on TP.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:56 pm

I don't like the media's creepy obsession with "outing" people, but I'm happy that Thorpe was able to go public with his sexuality at a time and in a way that he felt comfortable with.

The people bagging him need to take a good hard look at themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:24 pm

Now it seems word is the BT Gaffe was a rehearsed line and not a throw away line.

Doesn't that make it worse if true.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:18 am

I think we have better things to worry about in TV. Like reality TV and how an attention whore like Edelstein and his latest bit of fluff can appear as a news item on Channel 7.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:04 am

Wokko wrote:
More faux outrage
If he'd said something like sissy f**got then I'd say, sure rake him over the coals, but (I'm a dinosaur) is fairly benign, especially considering the context.
I wonder how many gay people are up in arms vs the internet warriors who don't give a stuff about the person, just the concept.

Oh dear, seems we still have a long way to go. Firtstly, if he said sissy f**got he'd be out a job permanently and rightly so. Secondly, Taylor not only insulted Harry Taylor but also every gay person in his audience. Yes, it was a throwaway line, much like Eddie's King Kong throwaway line, but it was very poor judgement. Is Brian Taylor a homophobe? Probably not if what I hear is true, but he is getting the right message on this one; the community no longer tolerates this vulgar talk. The community in general, is more sophisticated and dare I say it, educated.

As for (I'm a dinosaur) being 'fairly benign' Wokko, that sounds so much like saying Abo, coon, darkie are fairly benign. Being called a (I'm a dinosaur), as I had to explain to a student recently, is one of the most negative put-downs possible in Australian society. Calling someone a (I'm a dinosaur) is basically saying you are not good enough, you are not like us; you don't belong. There is no way you can use the word and not invoke the negative. In the case of Harry Taylor, Brian Taylor saw what he perceived as a feminine body movement, the royal wave, and branded him a (I'm a dinosaur); such a dreadful message to send young gay boys and girls. Come to think of it, a dreadful message to send to older gay boys and girls.

As for the 'faux outrage' of Thorpie's coming out and all of the "as if we didn't know" talk, why is it do you think Wokko and what'sinaname, that you think one of Australia's greatest sporting stars ever, felt he couldn't be truthful? Could it be that he feared he would be turned upon, be ridiculed, called a (I'm a dinosaur) perhaps? Your posts tell us exactly why he chose to stay in the closet.

When people suggest pejoratives like (I'm a dinosaur) are fairly benign, they are exposing themselves as ignorant dills. You really should know better.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:15 am

Breadcrawl wrote:
I'd like to know what Bruce McAvaney thinks of Thorpe's courageous declaration

And this! Really what is with the dumbarse gay putdowns here? So you think Bruce is gay Breadcrawl? OK I suppose it's possible, the guy is married and has a couple of kids, but we all know gay men in that position right? And again, I wonder why that would be? So many men denying their sexuality in a bid to fit in. Hard to imagine anybody doing such a thing really! So let's suggest for the sake of your argument that Bruce is in fact gay. So what? We're not allowed to have gay commentators? Bruce should out himself so that you can take the piss all over again?

Your statement is a very thinly veiled (I'm a dinosaur) bashing. Bruce is, in all likelihood straight, but even if he isn't so what? Would that somehow make him suddenly not a great sports' caller?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:25 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
As for the 'faux outrage' of Thorpie's coming out and all of the "as if we didn't know" talk, why is it do you think Wokko and what'sinaname, that you think one of Australia's greatest sporting stars ever, felt he couldn't be truthful? Could it be that he feared he would be turned upon, be ridiculed, called a (I'm a dinosaur) perhaps? Your posts tell us exactly why he chose to stay in the closet.

I think that's the most important point in all this—that Thorpe, rightly or wrongly, felt that he had to lie about his sexuality. Rather than criticise those who do remain "in the closet", people would do better to ask why they're so scared of being "outed" in the first place. It's clearly symptomatic of a society in which being openly gay comes at a risk (though I think increasingly less so in the last decade, thankfully).

Fair point on all the Bruce stuff too, Neil. It does make me cringe a little (as does Bruce, but for different reasons!). We really need to get beyond these sorts of insults, even when they're only meant as a light dig.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
Wokko wrote:
More faux outrage
If he'd said something like sissy f**got then I'd say, sure rake him over the coals, but (I'm a dinosaur) is fairly benign, especially considering the context.
I wonder how many gay people are up in arms vs the internet warriors who don't give a stuff about the person, just the concept.

Oh dear, seems we still have a long way to go. Firtstly, if he said sissy f**got he'd be out a job permanently and rightly so. Secondly, Taylor not only insulted Harry Taylor but also every gay person in his audience. Yes, it was a throwaway line, much like Eddie's King Kong throwaway line, but it was very poor judgement. Is Brian Taylor a homophobe? Probably not if what I hear is true, but he is getting the right message on this one; the community no longer tolerates this vulgar talk. The community in general, is more sophisticated and dare I say it, educated.

As for (I'm a dinosaur) being 'fairly benign' Wokko, that sounds so much like saying Abo, coon, darkie are fairly benign. Being called a (I'm a dinosaur), as I had to explain to a student recently, is one of the most negative put-downs possible in Australian society. Calling someone a (I'm a dinosaur) is basically saying you are not good enough, you are not like us; you don't belong. There is no way you can use the word and not invoke the negative. In the case of Harry Taylor, Brian Taylor saw what he perceived as a feminine body movement, the royal wave, and branded him a (I'm a dinosaur); such a dreadful message to send young gay boys and girls. Come to think of it, a dreadful message to send to older gay boys and girls.

When people suggest pejoratives like (I'm a dinosaur) are fairly benign, they are exposing themselves as ignorant dills. You really should know better.

Bravo Neil bravo.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Wokko wrote:
More faux outrage and sensationalism. We don't care about who or what Thorpie gives or takes it from and BT, while being crass was hardly in line for the firing squad over that one. If he'd said something like sissy f**got then I'd say, sure rake him over the coals, but (I'm a dinosaur) is fairly benign, especially considering the context.

Also interested to know if there was anybody who didn't have Thorpe figured out already. I mean he designed a line of pearl jewellery, the man was as fruity as a quince and we all loved him. The media can GAGF.

Well said. Looks like I've got a long way to go too...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:23 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Breadcrawl wrote:
I'd like to know what Bruce McAvaney thinks of Thorpe's courageous declaration

And this! Really what is with the dumbarse gay putdowns here? So you think Bruce is gay Breadcrawl? OK I suppose it's possible, the guy is married and has a couple of kids, but we all know gay men in that position right? And again, I wonder why that would be? So many men denying their sexuality in a bid to fit in. Hard to imagine anybody doing such a thing really! So let's suggest for the sake of your argument that Bruce is in fact gay. So what? We're not allowed to have gay commentators? Bruce should out himself so that you can take the piss all over again?

Your statement is a very thinly veiled (I'm a dinosaur) bashing. Bruce is, in all likelihood straight, but even if he isn't so what? Would that somehow make him suddenly not a great sports' caller?

I agree with this entirely, except for the implied premise that Bruce might ever have been a great sports caller.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:31 pm

David wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:

I think that's the most important point in all this—that Thorpe, rightly or wrongly, felt that he had to lie about his sexuality. Rather than criticise those who do remain "in the closet", people would do better to ask why they're so scared of being "outed" in the first place. It's clearly symptomatic of a society in which being openly gay comes at a risk (though I think increasingly less so in the last decade, thankfully).

Fair point on all the Bruce stuff too, Neil. It does make me cringe a little (as does Bruce, but for different reasons!). We really need to get beyond these sorts of insults, even when they're only meant as a light dig.

If I've been reading things correctly it's not just whether Thorpe felt he needed to lie to anyone but that for a fair while there he wasn't sure himself. He needed to process it and be comfortable with who he was before being public with it.

As far as no one being surprised, as he said he was first asked about his sexuality when he was 16. Being a public figure while still technically a child and having your sexuality being put under the microscope would be pretty daunting.

Interesting there's becoming more noise that there is a "gay gene" that determines sexuality. That could make things interesting if it becomes proven.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: