Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

To cool for school.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:47 pm
Post subject: To cool for school.Reply with quote

Anyone noticed how many of our players barely crack a smile when they kick a goal? Beams and Swan are the main culprits and Blair is following suit, even Trav doesn't get overly excited anymore, just to name a few.

Celebrations are contagious, the energy goes through the whole group, the crowd grows a leg and you can feel the buzz, yet we have to be the worst celebrators in the comp.

Having such a young team shouldn't we be trying to create energy anyway we can? Shouldn't we be showing the rest of the side how much the goal meant to us, In turn creating more? Instead of the ole "yeah, been there, done that" attitude.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually mate, I was watching some old grand finals the other day, on dvd, the great grannies of the sixties. Back in those days, no matter how great the goal, there was very few celebrations after the player kicked it, no high fives no hugging, the player just gave a fist in the air,and that was it, no teammates hardly ran it en masse. Even that marvellous goal by our ray gabelich, in the 64 GF, which put us ahead, two mins to go, was very little celebrated, one of our guys, tuddy I think, just ran up to the big bear, and gave him a tap on the back. I don't know when or how all this celebrating came from,with goals, its ok, but sometimes a bit over the top.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Actually mate, I was watching some old grand finals the other day, on dvd, the great grannies of the sixties. Back in those days, no matter how great the goal, there was very few celebrations after the player kicked it, no high fives no hugging, the player just gave a fist in the air,and that was it, no teammates hardly ran it en masse. Even that marvellous goal by our ray gabelich, in the 64 GF, which put us ahead, two mins to go, was very little celebrated, one of our guys, tuddy I think, just ran up to the big bear, and gave him a tap on the back. I don't know when or how all this celebrating came from,with goals, its ok, but sometimes a bit over the top.

Cricket was the same back in the day, not anymore though.

You like this.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 pm

The insidious infiltration of soccer culture into Aussie Rules footy. It has no place in our game. It will lead to other odious outcomes such as pitch invasions and the rise of 'Ultras'.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Woods wrote:
The insidious infiltration of soccer culture into Aussie Rules footy. It has no place in our game. It will lead to other odious outcomes such as pitch invasions and the rise of 'Ultras'.

I'm not talking about triple backflips with a double twist mate.

You like this.
matrix10 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:40 pm
Post subject: Re: To cool for school.Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
Anyone noticed how many of our players barely crack a smile when they kick a goal? Beams and Swan are the main culprits and Blair is following suit, even Trav doesn't get overly excited anymore, just to name a few.

Celebrations are contagious, the energy goes through the whole group, the crowd grows a leg and you can feel the buzz, yet we have to be the worst celebrators in the comp.

Having such a young team shouldn't we be trying to create energy anyway we can? Shouldn't we be showing the rest of the side how much the goal meant to us, In turn creating more? Instead of the ole "yeah, been there, done that" attitude.

If you want undeserved celebrations- go follow Carlton
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:44 pm

What? You mean like Harry's fist pump after his goal that brought the margin back to 50 something points on the weekend?? Rolling Eyes

Actually, in a way I think you do have a point there Defender. A couple o high fives or bum taps can help lift one's psyche. A goal can help players feel good about themselves for a little while (which is one of the reasons it still bewilders me when someone sprints to the bench for a spell after kicking a nice goal).

Having said that, nothing too over the top; not a fan of OVER celebrators. Stephen Patterson anyone??

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:48 pm

King Monkey wrote:
What? You mean like Harry's fist pump after his goal that brought the margin back to 50 something points on the weekend?? Rolling Eyes

Actually, in a way I think you do have a point there Defender. A couple o high fives or bum taps can help lift one's psyche. A goal can help players feel good about themselves for a little while (which is one of the reasons it still bewilders me when someone sprints to the bench for a spell after kicking a nice goal).

Having said that, nothing too over the top; not a fan of OVER celebrators. Stephen Patterson anyone??

I'd do a lap of honour if I kicked a goal for Pies!

You like this.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:51 pm

^Yeah pay that! Laughing
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:15 am

Seriously?
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:26 am

Darkstranger wrote:
Seriously?

Say you're a young kid playing in our back line, you're involved in a scoring movement, the goal kicker just gives a high 5 or 2, doesn't smile or show any passion, doesn't make an effort to acknowledge the hard work done up the field to create the goal, how would you feel?

Now say they made a semi big deal of it, acknowledging everyone in the chain, would that make that young back-mid walk taller during the next contest? That is what I'm saying, we don't do that, at least not enough, passion is contagious, instead we have Elliot and Beams who don't seem excited enough to give a bloody high 5, it's a team sport, unless you take the ball out of a centre bounce and kick the goal without a Shepard the goal isn't yours.

Passion is what makes players walk taller, it creates adrenalin.

You like this.
Adz 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:38 am

I hope this is a big priority for Bucks and co...
Stinger 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:42 am

It's up there with not signing the song with enough gusto after a win.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:49 am

Adz wrote:
I hope this is a big priority for Bucks and co...

It'll be just beside kicking goals, it's funny, I can actually tell who has and hasn't played footy reading this thread.

You like this.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:32 am

Basketball sucks. America sucks. High fives suck. Stupid celebrations suck. Compulsory celebrations of the kind Defender wants are exactly as motivating and inspiring as having to say you are sorry 'coz the teacher said you'd get detention if you didn't say it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: