Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Global warming and the zombie apocalypse

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
Love Bill Maher.

The second point is what I found most illuminating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ACyiSPAmE

Unfortunately I think it's the second point that might be a little more tenuous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Religulous#Christ_myth_theory

Although I agree with Maher's basic point that elements of the Jesus story (likely before the completion of the gospels and certainly after the adoption of Roman traditions) were borrowed from mythology, I'm a little sceptical about the Horus/Krishna parallels. Given the audience, I expect that most of what actually ended up in the gospels was borrowed from Jewish tradition (the birth in Bethlehem, three days and nights in the tomb, last words on the cross, various explicit fulfillments of prophecy) with a little Greek/Roman symbology finding its way into the later writers' work.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:00 pm

^Right.

Back to the earlier discussion, the critical point missed by Christian fundamentalists is that such an approach to literature, including religious scriptures, was standard at the time and not viewed as lessening the religious value or "inspiration" of a work. Who'd have imagined Christian fundamentalists would be so bad at understanding other cultures? Wink

The jumps you get from a strongly Hebraic Gospel like Matthew, to the strongly Hellenic Pauline Epistles, and other such time-space gaps between books and even sections of books, explains a lot of the final form contradictions Evangelicals gloss over with bizarre "Occam's Chainsaw" explanations.

Because of the way the canon was stitched together under the cultural norms of the day, it is an astonishing archaeology of humanness, not divinity. Very broadly, the Second Testament movement from the highly structured Classical Hebrew retelling of the Gospels, to the shadowy Platonic philosophizing of say the Book of Romans, to the paranoid apocalypticism of Revelation, is an historical-literary marvel. There's even something for the impatient can-doers like Stui and TP in say Luke and Acts, should they be inclined Wink

FYI, the most lucid technical writer on the early origins of the canon (going back to the "inter-testamental period) is IMO John Barton: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barton_(theologian) .

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
laird 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:07 pm

From climate change to uneducated, complete and utter idiotic attacks on Christ. It is not the bible bashers that need to be feared - it is the athiest thumpers who in their own wisdom apparently know all.

Your hatred, anger and fear is understandable- you are not in control.
More importantly for you is that NOT everyone on the planet agrees with you and this insults what you think is your intelligence.

You are preaching!!!! Hatred.

If you are talking climate change then what has Davids parents understanding of the bible and Christianity got to do with it?

All very childish.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:16 pm

^I'm afraid it's your overreaction which is childish, my friend.

You may recall that the biblical canon is a public work. Or do you believe the keys of the kingdom were given to Peter who in turn gave them to the Papacy?

Remember, no one defended the scriptures like the scribes and pharisees, yet we know what the Jesus figure thought of them refusing to update their beliefs for more cosmopolitan times.

Anyhow, we're not here to upset you. We're only off on what is an interesting tangent to us, triggered by certain claims and questions from others.

John Barton's work is a very respectable read on the topic, FYI.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:56 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Remember, no one defended the scriptures like the scribes and pharisees, yet we know what the Jesus figure thought of them refusing to update their beliefs for more cosmopolitan times.

Very good point—all literalists should take heed.

laird 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:58 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^I'm afraid it's your overreaction which is childish, my friend.

You may recall that the biblical canon is a public work. Or do you believe the keys of the kingdom were given to Peter who in turn gave them to the Papacy?

Anyhow, we're not here to upset you. We're only off on what is an interesting tangent to us, triggered by certain claims and questions from others.

John Barton's work is a very respectable read on the topic, FYI.

Laughing

You could not upset me. You do not have that power, mate.

Overreaction? one post, 5 or 6 pages into this ridiculous thread that has been going for awhile now.

I apologise. I will leave you lot to impart your wisdom on all things. You seem to have a clear understanding of all things known and unknown to man.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Do you really mean it?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Yes he does

**** me dead, I reckon terminus would be a more fun place than this right now

Who knows? Checking out the smithsonian site, gotta say the Homo Heidelbergensis certainly looks like a few people I know, but saying that will get me in trouble at the footy. Also the neaderthalensis, I'm betting those guys did the Hakka, yep there's one for evolution,

Looking for evidence of Christ is a lot harder, and I'm off to the footy soon.

What I don't get is the Big Bang theory.

Where is the edge of the universe? Why did something go bang? Where do black holes lead too? How do we know? Is the one universe? Are we just a ping pong ball in someone's giant toy box? Why us? Why this planet? How is it possible that it's only us? Why would God, Mother Nature, or the good lord of science build all this? Just so we can fight it out like a pack of plastic soldiers on the dinner table?what a waste of effort.

Are there wiser beings looking down, like some big brother experiment, saying glix glax coo cuckoo blam jam, which loosely translates into have a look at these fricken drongos, killing each other, killing all living things, just because they can, killing their own atmosphere, we don't need to go in there and blast em, they are doing a good enough job of screwing it up themselves.

I just can't believe this whole universe was built just for is. And if it was, shame on us for $£$%^%%$ it up so bad. What a waste

So there's my opinion, stone cold sober, just a mish mash from reading all the negative, attacking, sarcastic, trash that gets fired at each other. Instead of communicating. (Not you David, you don't do that) that's my opinion. And guess what? It's right. So is yours. And yours.

And I'm guessing the truth, God help us is somewhere in the middle. Or maybe south. It's all going south.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:04 pm

Tannin wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:
You do realise that it's still called the "theory" of evoloution right, still no empirical evidence to prove it as fact.

^Seriously? No-one, I mean no-one, could possibly be as honestly ignorant as that. Not even the most blinkered, clueless science denier around could really think that. So why even say it?

Geez.....I'm almost speechless at that Pa Marmo, but not quite. Even the Pope and just about every local priest, vicar and pastor admits that evolution is scientific fact. It hasn't been a theory for a very long time. Just what religious group do you belong to?

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:

The best explanation i've come across is that we're all living in a computer simulation (think Matrix) devised by some bored highly evolved human a few eons ago.

Eh? That's the best explanation you've come across? Seriously?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The best explanation i've come across is that we're all living in a computer simulation (think Matrix) devised by some bored highly evolved human a few eons ago.

Eh? That's the best explanation you've come across? Seriously?

Seriously. Absolutely no sarcasm involved at all. It's a topic I care deeply and passionately about.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:28 pm

In that case I will leave it alone. Very Happy
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Regarding the call for evidence, let’s face it, no evidence for the existence of a divine being has ever been produced that rational thinkers consider persuasive. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence which is why evidence is such a casual thing to believers.

Scientists love it when they are proved wrong. They will tell you in advance what it would take to disprove their belief. For instance I’ve heard scientists speculate upon what it would take i.e. rabbit bones in the precambrian layer. Have you ever heard a religious person say this is what it would take to stop me believing in my supernatural god? Of course not, they are not interested in evidence and wouldn't see it if it hit them like an Alan Toovey shirt-front!

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Pa Marmo wrote:
You do realise that it's still called the "theory" of evoloution right, still no empirical evidence to prove it as fact.

^Seriously? No-one, I mean no-one, could possibly be as honestly ignorant as that. Not even the most blinkered, clueless science denier around could really think that. So why even say it?

Geez.....I'm almost speechless at that Pa Marmo, but not quite. Even the Pope and just about every local priest, vicar and pastor admits that evolution is scientific fact. It hasn't been a theory for a very long time. Just what religious group do you belong to?

The pope isn't a Christian, who really cares what he thinks, priests, well there's a real voice of authority, in the same basket as the pope. I've sat in many non apostisized Christian churches, and never yet met a pastor who doesn't believe in creation. If evoloution is fact, present the "facts", 100% measurable, observable, and repeatable. In answer to your question, I don't belong to any religious group, I'm a bible believing follower of The Lord Jesus Christ, a mere Christian, nothing more, nothing less.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:29 am

laird wrote:
From climate change to uneducated, complete and utter idiotic attacks on Christ. It is not the bible bashers that need to be feared - it is the athiest thumpers who in their own wisdom apparently know all.

Your hatred, anger and fear is understandable- you are not in control.
More importantly for you is that NOT everyone on the planet agrees with you and this insults what you think is your intelligence.

You are preaching!!!! Hatred.

If you are talking climate change then what has Davids parents understanding of the bible and Christianity got to do with it?

All very childish.

Well you say all very childish, but there would seem to be a direct link between climate denial and belief in the supernatural. Both refuse to see the scientific evidence in front of their noses in my humble opinion. And atheists preaching hatred? We hate because we are losing control? Really? I thought hate was the preserve of the right-wing religious nutbags. Your comment is just a little conceited. It's amusing really, after millennia of having it all your own way, you get so snitchy when the majority start waking up to your hocus-pocus.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: