Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Global warming and the zombie apocalypse

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
Not sure what Idolatry has to do with anything we've posted here, but while we're on the Bible, I hope you've never eaten rare meat, worn anything other than single fabric cloth or ever shaved your beard or cut your hair. Gods laws are absolute and forever. Jesus said he was not there to change the Law.

No he wasn't, he came to fulfill the law, your silly post shows a lack of understanding of the relationship between the two testaments.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:03 am

Matthew 5:17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

verb: fulfill

2. Carry out (a duty or role) as required, promised, or expected.

Fulfill does not mean that the Law will be finished, it means Jesus will carry out the Law as required and the Law shall be absolute until the end. You're ignorant of your own faith. Most Christians are though.

"When goodness is lost, it is replaced by morality." - Laotzi
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:13 am

1 Corinthians 10:23.
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1 Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

It is once again you who is ignorant of the scripture, as God does not reveal his word to the ungodly. When Jesus spoke of all things being complete, he was speaking of his redemptive work of dying on the cross and raising again on the third day. Perhaps you would do well to ask God for understanding before reading the scriptures, as you seem to be struggling with the milk, so you wouldn't be ready for the meat.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:20 am

You're wrong. How you get from "Till heaven and Earth pass" to "Until I am put to death" is beyond me. The fact you're saying what you are puts you right down the bottom of the guest list as well.

Matthew (5:1Cool "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

(5:19) "Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven."
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:33 am

Pa Marmo wrote:
God does not reveal his word to the ungodly

In which case, what's the point of revealing it at all? The godly are already godly so they obviously don't need it, and (according to you) he keeps it secret from the ungodly. Is this the Holy Law equivalent of the All-Bran Rule?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:05 am

Although I'm hardly qualified to engage in theology wars nowadays (my how this thread has progressed!), much of my childhood was spent analysing these questions. My parents took (and still take) Wokko's interpretation of these passages, hence their adherence to OT dietary laws, observance of the Saturday Sabbath and so on. PM would likely consider them heretics. Say what you like about Christianity, but there's never a dull moment. Smile
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:09 am

It all seems quite ridiculous to me. You're going to feel like fools when you realise you've wasted all this time arguing about a work of fiction.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:18 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
It all seems quite ridiculous to me. You're going to feel like fools when you realise you've wasted all this time arguing about a work of fiction.

Why? People argue about Harry Potter, at least we're discussing a work of historical significance.

What sect/denomination are you/your family David, if it's not too personal a question. Never sure about these things.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:59 am

They're ex-Worldwide Church of God (now United, not to be confused under any circumstances with Uniting!), which was an offshoot of the Seventh Day Adventists around the same time that the Jehovah's Witnesses broke away. WCG didn't practice door-knocking, but instead put their energy into radio evangelism (apparently they were pioneers in this respect). After the church went to pieces in the mid-'90s, about a dozen splinter groups were formed, one or two of which can be seen on Sunday morning TV at about 4am.

Their views can be broadly summarised as follows:

• Old Testament law—except for the ceremonial rites dealing with the no-longer-existent temple—still stands, which means no non-kosher food, no watching TV on Friday night, no wearing polyester/cotton t-shirts and no Easter eggs (idolatry!). Easter and Christmas are pagan and to be rejected entirely; Passover, Yom Kippur and Tabernacles are all observed according to the Jewish calendar.

• There is no immortality of the soul. There are no souls full stop. There is a physical resurrection of everybody at some point in the future followed by Earthly paradise for good sorts. There is neither heaven nor hell (the heathen are simply extinguished).

• Anglo-Saxons are descended from the lost tribes of Israel. No hokes!

• The Trinity, like pretty much every other post-Biblical tradition, is a Roman pagan invention (they're actually probably right about this). Jesus is kind of like the same as God but separate and the Holy Spirit is not a person per se. Can you believe people have been killed over these arguments?

• The world was created in six days (natch). The Bible is not only 100% literally true (Joshua did what now?), it's also prophetic about the "end times" (i.e. now, if one considers now to be roughly about any time since 1920). Read that verse in Isaiah closely; he's talking about the European Union!

• Catholics are godforsaken idolaters, Protestants aren't much better, and don't get them started on the bloody Seventh Day Adventists...

• Jews don't accept Christ Our Saviour but are otherwise pretty much ok. I strongly suspect that my parents wish they were Jews.

• The founder of the church, Herbert W Armstrong, was a prophet (uh oh) and not at all a charlatan looking to make a quick buck.

I think that's about all I can think of. Smile

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:07 am

Thanks for that. I find the various religious groups fascinating. Like the Mel Gibson Catholics that refuse to acknowledge Vatican II and consider the Pope to be a Heretic and have Latin Mass. Your lot went even further back to pre Roman proto-Christianity. Not sure how Germanics or Celts are the lost tribes, but why not hey? The Mormons think that Jesus visited the American Indians so maybe he went through Britain, dropped off the Holy Grail and set sail?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:37 am

Love Bill Maher.

The second point is what I found most illuminating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ACyiSPAmE

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:00 am

David wrote:
PM would likely consider them heretics.

Certainly not David, perhaps legalistic but not heretical.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:09 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:

How dare you, who in their right minds would argue that global warming or the zombie apocalypse is a work of fiction Shocked
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:23 am

And yet when the apocalypse hits, stupid man will still be fighting each other instead of manning up against the common enemy:

Sage words from the walking dead:

The governor "We have a tank"

The lowly cop "we have a Daryl"

(I'm with Team Daryl all the way!)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:03 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:

But at what point do you find out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6UrMTC73A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: