Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Global warming and the zombie apocalypse

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
My post was a reply to Pa Marno's silly trolling.

Here Tannin, I'll give you a hand, because like I said, you've got nothing, your a shoot the messenger type of guy.

Empirical evidence, using the scientific method

Ask a Question: The scientific method starts when you ask a question about something that you observe: How, What, When, Who, Which, Why, or Where?

And, in order for the scientific method to answer the question it must be about something that you can measure, preferably with a number.

Your Question
Do Background Research: Rather than starting from scratch in putting together a plan for answering your question, you want to be a savvy scientist using library and Internet research to help you find the best way to do things and insure that you don't repeat mistakes from the past.
Background Research Plan
Finding Information
Bibliography
Research Paper

Construct a Hypothesis: A hypothesis is an educated guess about how things work:
"If _____[I do this] _____, then _____[this]_____ will happen."
You must state your hypothesis in a way that you can easily measure, and of course, your hypothesis should be constructed in a way to help you answer your original question.

Variables
Variables for Beginners
Hypothesis

Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment: Your experiment tests whether your hypothesis is supported or not. It is important for your experiment to be a fair test. You conduct a fair test by making sure that you change only one factor at a time while keeping all other conditions the same.
You should also repeat your experiments several times to make sure that the first results weren't just an accident.

Experimental Procedure
Materials List
Conducting an Experiment

Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion: Once your experiment is complete, you collect your measurements and analyze them to see if they support your hypothesis or not.
Scientists often find that their hypothesis was not supported, and in such cases they will construct a new hypothesis based on the information they learned during their experiment. This starts the entire process of the scientific method over again. Even if they find that their hypothesis was supported, they may want to test it again in a new way.

Data Analysis & Graphs
Conclusions

Communicate Your Results: To complete your science fair project you will communicate your results to others in a final report and/or a display board. Professional scientists do almost exactly the same thing by publishing their final report in a scientific journal or by presenting their results on a poster at a scientific meeting. In a science fair, judges are interested in your findings regardless of whether or not they support your original hypothesis.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:00 am

Commander Data is a real inspiration.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:02 am

thebaldfacts wrote:
f you define Darwinian evolution as a process whereby all living things arose from a single celled organism by means of random genetic copying mistakes over long period of times, and that cell itself spontaneously generated itself from inorganic matter, then we are in the realm of belief.

And if you define aluminium as a form of green cheese originating on Mars, the same applies.

You need to distinguish between the operation of the evolutionary process (very well understood, though with plenty yet to learn and no doubt a few surprises left) and the long-ago first origin of life (not understood yet: we have some pretty good theories, but they are educated guesses at this stage with no real proof so far).

You are correct to state that creation belief does not contradict evolution. Most authorities in most major religions are perfectly at home with evolution and have been for a hundred years or so. The usual view is that evolution is the process through which God expresses his will, the means by which he creates, if you like. It's only the flat-earth nutcases who have a problem with it, and though loud, they are relatively few.

thebaldfacts wrote:
Life arising from non life violates the laws of science - the law of biogenesis.

No such thing. At least not in the sense of being a Law of Nature or Law of Science in the way that the Laws of Therodynamics or Evolution or quantum mechanics are. Loopy creationists talk about the "Law of Biogenesis 'coz it makes them sound as if they have a clue. In fact (of course) it was simply an unproven speculation from Pasteur, a very early researcher who was born nearly 200 years ago. For all his brilliance and his stunning career achievements, he is not what you'd regard as cutting edge stuff today.

His speculation remains unproven, by the way, though it's not unreasonable to expect concrete disproof sometime in the next decade or two as the bio-science explosion continues. That remains to be seen, of course. It is probable that greater understanding will eventually both confirm and refute his idea, leaving us with a practical rule-of-thumb "law" which is near enough to correct most of the time to use as an approximation (just as we presently use Newtonian physics for everyday calculations) but wildly incorrect in particular specific contexts (again, just like the Newtonian rules of motion).

thebaldfacts wrote:
Genetic changes over long periods of time cannot be observed

Nonsense. They can be and are observed as routine. We have had hard evidence of these genetic changes for hundreds of years - it is the genetics which shapes the bones, as you know - and with today's advanced genetic research techniques, we have vast piles of detailed, microscopic evidence of it - more evidence than we can possibly process even with an army of scientists.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:15 am

^
Umm... this looks like the instructions for something like a Year 8 class.

I wonder if the hundreds of professional scientists, their teams of research assistants and their thousands of grad students who all do in depth scientific investigation, experimentation and analysis in the fields of; moleclular genetics, molecular genomics, comparative physiology, comparative taxonomy, comparative biochemistry, histology and paleontology will eventually find one shred of evidence to refute evolution by natural selection.
So far between hundreds of them performing untold thousands of investigations not a single one has.
They haven't found a living thing that doesn't fit, they haven't even found a chemical within any living thing that doesn't fit.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:38 am

It's funny, but we only ever seem to discuss evolution on here when creationism comes up. It's a shame, because it's a fascinating topic and there are clearly quite a few people on here who are well-read in this area.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:27 am

David wrote:
It's funny, but we only ever seem to discuss evolution on here when creationism comes up. It's a shame, because it's a fascinating topic and there are clearly quite a few people on here who are well-read in this area.

Half don't want to believe and the other half matter of factly think it makes sense. Or take out the 2 percent who want to argue about it. Orangutans are pretty clever, Carlscum supporters not.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:56 am

The funniest thing is that the topic was global warming and the zombie apocalypse, but like all topics it all too easily got sidetracked.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:04 am

thebaldfacts wrote:
The funniest thing is that the topic was global warming and the zombie apocalypse, but like all topics it all too easily got sidetracked.

So now all we need to do is knit them together with how global warming will hasten the evolution of zombies, hence propagating the zombie apocalypse.

Mr. Green

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:15 am

Zombies are here already, catch a train and look at all the smart phone users welded to there phones. They are completely oblivious to the outside world.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:04 am

thebaldfacts wrote:

No, the topic - as started by you yourself - was the gross stupidity and jaw-dropping scientific ignorance of a Liberal Party politician from Queensland who has been attending and supporting a climate deniers' event owned by the tobacco and coal lobby mob funded by the notorious right-wing extremist Koch brothers.

You started talking about mindless science denial and we are still on that same theme. 100% on-topic.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:09 am

Only because you asked me to.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:15 am

Tannin wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

No, the topic - as started by you yourself - was the gross stupidity and jaw-dropping scientific ignorance of a Liberal Party politician from Queensland who has been attending and supporting a climate deniers' event owned by the tobacco and coal lobby mob funded by the notorious right-wing extremist Koch brothers.

You started talking about mindless science denial and we are still on that same theme. 100% on-topic.

Tannin,

Well I did want to know if global warmists have a sense of humour.

Think I know how to answer this in respect to your good self Very Happy
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:46 am

ronrat wrote:
David wrote:

Half don't want to believe and the other half matter of factly think it makes sense. Or take out the 2 percent who want to argue about it. Orangutans are pretty clever, Carlscum supporters not.

Half? I'd guess it's a good deal less than that! Shocked

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:41 pm

David wrote:
ronrat wrote:
David wrote:

Half? I'd guess it's a good deal less than that! Shocked

No guessing David, scientific method please Very Happy

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Higher than I thought, I must concede:

http://ncse.com/news/2013/07/polling-evolution-down-under-again-0014909

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: