Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Swan (now out injured for 4 weeks)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole "he's not trying anymore" stuff is garbage and unfair. He's just old.

Look at some other players from the same draft:

Hodge - peaked about 3-4 years ago. Slowly losing effectiveness.
Ball - seems to be losing it this year.
Judd - Body breaking down.
Dal Santo - clearly past his prime.
Montagna - will probably retire at seasons end.
Brian Lake - roughly half the player he used to be.

Oddly all the Geelong players (Kelly, Johnson, Bartel) are still going ok as is the ex Geelong guy (Gazza).

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:55 am

Dal Santo is doing very nicely. You may have a point with the others.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:23 am

I guess his wrists suddenly came good on Anzac Day. So he's gone from hero to hack in only 2 months? A reoccurence? Stop insulting our intelligence. He's become too satisfied with himself imo. The body might be aging but the mind is definitely not where it should be.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:25 am

Well Ive been worried for a while and I see a gap now that has crept up on many including the media. We are still a force but not a scary one like when we had Swan in full flight, Shaw running off the backline, Pendlebury hitting prime ( as he is now ), Ball running at full tilt, Thomas running like a maniac, Sidebottom giving us good options, Wellingham playing well, Leon in AA form, Blair being a good option rather than a main player, Didak being Didak and Krakouer being Krakouer. Now that was something to fear!!!

Its different now and we need to get back to that level. All this talk of how Blair shouldn't be in the team, from another thread, just comes down to talent and class of our cattle. He is a worker not a finisher and is being relied on for that now but youll never get 2-3 goals out of him consistently. Lots of good kids coming through and I like Kennedy but they aren't primed yet.

If Swan is past his best then he will have to be pushed away slowly and we need to trade or target at least 2 preferably 3 class midfielders into our side for 2015 and then let Swan play a minor role and help Freeman, Scharenberg, Broomhead, Kennedy and Adams develop along at their own pace.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
I guess his wrists suddenly came good on Anzac Day. So he's gone from hero to hack in only 2 months? A reoccurence? Stop insulting our intelligence. He's become too satisfied with himself imo. The body might be aging but the mind is definitely not where it should be.

He's just old. I don't think his mind is any different to how it's been the last 7 years or so. It doesn't mean he's incapable of ever playing a good game, just that they're a lot less frequent than they used to be.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:48 am

^ I don't totally disagree. I'll never know what's going through his mind but doubt the appetite is as strong as it was.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:06 pm

He does get lot of the Ball still but there is no Hurt Factor to them
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Macedonian Marvel #35 wrote:
simon tonna wrote:
the writings been on the wall for a while dare i say 12 months or so….

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it only 12 months, Swan was giving the brownlow a shake? As one of the premier midfielders?

Wow some people have smaller memory than a fish....

Get off his back (this post isn't direct at you Simon Tonna)

well actually i wear his number on my back and unfortunately its falling
apart at the seams. topic raised. hard thing is choosing a new number to
replace it with. Crying or Very sad

magirl Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:36 am

I love Dane Swan. My favourite player ever over my 54 years of following the side. A one team player who has shown loyalty and greatness. A victim of his own consistency in that his playing acumen is questioned when his disposals are in the 20s instead of his usual 30s or 40s. The fans would normally be over the moon if a players impact was what his is now. Please do not disregard that Buckley is asking him to fulfil a new role. Read back. He is doing what is asked and for the good of why his coach feel is the best for the team. Swan is the ultimate team player and always has been.

My favourite ever.

I will never accept any denigration of him as I know when he feels his playing in the side is to the detriment of the team I am sure he will retire.

Get off his back and try supporting our champions.

Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:54 am

He's playing injured, you can see in the way he runs, he isn't right.

One of my favourites too.

I'm glad we've had him and have him.

Go the Pies
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:15 am

I would suggest that it is you who are insulting our intelligence. there are probably 20 reasons why Swan isn't doing well and i suspect it is highly unlikely that lack of effort and/or self satisfaction is the main one!!

I dont disagree with the OP that he is not at his best by a long way.

It is likely either (i) what i call the "Licca effect" - one day ytou wake up and the game is simply too fast for you (which is what causes the demise of most "accumulators" like Swan), (ii) he is struggling with an injury that limits his avbility to run all day thereby making it look like he is suffering from the condition i like to call the "Licca Effect" (a fvew week's rest might have been on the cards for him if we werent so banged up at the minute)or (iii) the role he is being asked to play means that he is not getting to enough contests to influence the game the way he customarily has by getting to more contests than everyone else thereby making it look like he is suffering from the condition i like to call the "Licca Effect".

If its one, then we should be thankoing Dane for all the years of great service and gradually phase him ot of the team. However, it is highly unlikely that Buckley would hold back from doing this given his attitude to the other members of the brat pack).

If its number 2 or number 3, we should simply thank him for being a great team man.

When a bunch of fat unhealthy supporters (i include myself in this group) start questioning the heart or effort of a champion, i think they just look like ignorant idiots. when the question the heart of one of their own, i think a long moment of introspection is required......

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:21 am

Didaksgoal wrote:
He's playing injured, you can see in the way he runs, he isn't right.

One of my favourites too.

I'm glad we've had him and have him.

Go the Pies

Actually mistook the Caff for Swan on one run as he was running just like Swan normally does!!!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:54 am

E wrote:

I would suggest that it is you who are insulting our intelligence. there are probably 20 reasons why Swan isn't doing well and i suspect it is highly unlikely that lack of effort and/or self satisfaction is the main one!!

I dont disagree with the OP that he is not at his best by a long way.

It is likely either (i) what i call the "Licca effect" - one day ytou wake up and the game is simply too fast for you (which is what causes the demise of most "accumulators" like Swan), (ii) he is struggling with an injury that limits his avbility to run all day thereby making it look like he is suffering from the condition i like to call the "Licca Effect" (a fvew week's rest might have been on the cards for him if we werent so banged up at the minute)or (iii) the role he is being asked to play means that he is not getting to enough contests to influence the game the way he customarily has by getting to more contests than everyone else thereby making it look like he is suffering from the condition i like to call the "Licca Effect".

If its one, then we should be thankoing Dane for all the years of great service and gradually phase him ot of the team. However, it is highly unlikely that Buckley would hold back from doing this given his attitude to the other members of the brat pack).

If its number 2 or number 3, we should simply thank him for being a great team man.

When a bunch of fat unhealthy supporters (i include myself in this group) start questioning the heart or effort of a champion, i think they just look like ignorant idiots. when the question the heart of one of their own, i think a long moment of introspection is required......

Yep. Rumour is he has got feet, knee and groin issues and season ending surgery would be required to fix. Has opted to play through and clearly the club think Swanny at 70-80% still contributes (refer ANZAC game).
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:13 am

Usually responds like the true champion he is when he gets criticism. I'm expecting a big one from Swanny this week.
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:57 pm

Great player....But the reality is i think he is getting to the age where players do just generally start to slow down and injuries will take longer and longer to heal.

Honestly, I have no question that the club and swan will sit down at seasons end and discuss the "where to from here"...and what will be will be...i don;t think anyone should be taking this thread as a personal attack on their "favourite" player...i think at his football age it is a fair debate to have.

Can he go forward and play the role of the crafty small/half forward that say Mathews did towards the end of his career? ...well lets see

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11   

Jump to: