Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Garlett the small forward we need?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dids' slowed down too much in his last 2 years. His lack of pace was the problem. He wasn't getting any younger either!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 am

Damien wrote:
Dids' slowed down too much in his last 2 years. His lack of pace was the problem. He wasn't getting any younger either!

Injuries got the better of him. In reality he didn't have a proper pre-season after we won the flag in 2010.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:53 am

Did we have a small crumbing forward in 2010?
They disappear in big matches unless truely elite Garlett isnt
He is soft with zero defensive skills

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:26 am

No way, look at the last spud Jordan Russell we got from them, no ex scum, ever, full stop.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:18 am

You pretty much gotta go back to Craig Davis and Ray Byrne to find a good one that we got from them. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:22 am

Breadcrawl wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Tannin wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Need some aboriginal .....

Enough with the racist stuff, OK. Players are players with the attributes and skills each individual has. Typecasting people according to the colour of their skin is simply not on.

Aboriginal isn't a skin colour. You can't deny that there are racial attributes that can advantage or disadvantage certain racial groups in different sports. It's a biological fact, much like certain diseases or food allergies are more common among different racial groups. You can live in equality dreamland if you like, but it wont get you a game in the NBA.

Yeah but there is a difference between the entirely unracist position you've taken there and making 'aboriginal' part of the job description like some have done. I will happily take a Korean, Romanian or Kenyan guy with the right skills even if we are more likely to find them in an indigenous Aussie

Kenyan's have a proven record at endurance, so they'd fit in nicely, oh heck, am I being racist again, or maybe you are subconsciously racist Breadcrawl.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:32 am

Tannin wrote:
jackcass wrote:
I'd much rather reward a Frost or a Martin than waste 1 of those picks on Garlett.

What's worse, Gartlett would come at a price: they'd want at least a high second round pick for him. Even if he is a free agent, his management would demand some decent coin. Much, much better to go for a Martin, a Frost, or even an Armstrong. Save the big dollars for better quality players we need to attract and/or retain.

Still stuck on Martin? Surprised

Garlett would be a better option than Kyle. He can actually play AFL footy as a forward and is the type of player we need (very quick and with a good bit of flair).

However, like Brad Dick he's built like a stick and for that reason, at least, was never as good as a Betts or Yarran and will mostly only be of value in more open games (ie. not likely to do much in finals).

If the price is right, sure, he'd be a handy addition. He may have been dropped a couple of times this year, but he is an AFL player, Mick's just sending he and Waite a message.

Do I think we'd go for him? Maybe. He's a similar type to Armstrong but better. We do seem to prefer more defensive small forwards though. Garlett has shown he is capable of providing forward pressure, but does not bring it consistently. I don't think he'd be a certain starter at Collingwood, or even a probable one. Bucks is a lot like Mick in what he expects of his small forwards, so Garlett would likely be in and out of the team.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:05 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Kenyan's have a proven record at endurance, so they'd fit in nicely, oh heck, am I being racist again

Kenya is largely at high altitude (ditto Eithopia). Many Kenyans grow up and live in what would be (to someone from Australia, where there are no mountains worth mentioning) a full-time, whole-of-life high altitude training camp. When you talk about Kenyans and running, you are effectively identifying a group of people with a particular training regime. You are not (unless you are abysmally ignorant, which is of course a possibility) talking about race, you are talking about training and opportunity.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:15 pm

While there are genetic advantages for East African runners including large lung capacity, wiry frames and a good running gait these are hardly traits that are totally unique to the area. Same goes for Tannin's altitude theory, we're certainly not seeing Andean, Mexican or central Asian distance runners anything like we see East Africans.

The two major factors are that running is free, and in an area like Ethiopia for example there isn't much scope for purchasing sporting equipment but everyone can run. There is also a prestige to running, and top runners can set themselves up for life, a big incentive for their best athletes to take up the sport. Thirdly, East African runners train much differently to many other areas. Their training is high intensity and brutal. Also foot travel has been the norm there up until very recently, so while kids in Asia, America and Europe are getting lifts in their mum's SUV, African kids are running everywhere and dreaming of the Olympics.

Lastly, to clear up an old chestnut, the slow twitch muscle fiber thing was debunked. East Africans were actually found to have more fast twitch muscles that are meant to make distance running harder so the whole theory was canned. It still gets urban myth style airplay for some reason.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:21 pm

^ of course genetics could not have anything to do with it. I suppose father-son is all about training and opportunity.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:40 pm

Pass the butter.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:47 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
^ of course genetics could not have anything to do with it. I suppose father-son is all about training and opportunity.

Because the arrow is pointing at me, I'll respond. The first thing I said was genetics play a part. The problem is the part we thought it played (slow twitch muscles) was wrong. Therefore we need to look at other factors such as skeletal structure, ligaments and lung capacity. There are however other racial groups with similar genetic differentiation that do not have such a predisposition to running sports, so we then look elsewhere (as I did).

If your arrow is pointing at Mr "Race is a purely social construct" Tannin, then please, carry on. Laughing
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:54 pm

Wokko wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Because the arrow is pointing at me, I'll respond. The first thing I said was genetics play a part. The problem is the part we thought it played (slow twitch muscles) was wrong. Therefore we need to look at other factors such as skeletal structure, ligaments and lung capacity. There are however other racial groups with similar genetic differentiation that do not have such a predisposition to running sports, so we then look elsewhere (as I did).

If your arrow is pointing at Mr "Race is a purely social construct" Tannin, then please, carry on. Laughing

Sorry mate, it was definately the latter, maybe a ^^ is what I need to use.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:02 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

Quite right. Genetics plays a small part too, but as you say, training and opportunity are the main factors.

Notice the difference here: we are talking about the genetics of an individual player and relating him to his particular parents. This is NOT the same thing as broad-brushing an entire race of people. To say Leon Davis' boy might be a great footballer because of his genetics and family is one thing, and perfectly OK. (Hope he plays 200 for the Pies!) To say that Leon's boy might make a great footballer because he is Aboriginal is a completely different thing, and not OK, just as it's not OK to say that Spiros will never be a good lawyer because he's too dumb owing to his Greek heritage.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Wokko wrote:
While there are genetic advantages for East African runners including large lung capacity, wiry frames and a good running gait these are hardly traits that are totally unique to the area. Same goes for Tannin's altitude theory, we're certainly not seeing Andean, Mexican or central Asian distance runners anything like we see East Africans.

The two major factors are that running is free, and in an area like Ethiopia for example there isn't much scope for purchasing sporting equipment but everyone can run. There is also a prestige to running, and top runners can set themselves up for life, a big incentive for their best athletes to take up the sport. Thirdly, East African runners train much differently to many other areas. Their training is high intensity and brutal. Also foot travel has been the norm there up until very recently, so while kids in Asia, America and Europe are getting lifts in their mum's SUV, African kids are running everywhere and dreaming of the Olympics.

Lastly, to clear up an old chestnut, the slow twitch muscle fiber thing was debunked. East Africans were actually found to have more fast twitch muscles that are meant to make distance running harder so the whole theory was canned. It still gets urban myth style airplay for some reason.

^ Quality posting there, Wokko.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: