Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Garlett the small forward we need?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
Need some aboriginal .....

Enough with the racist stuff, OK. Players are players with the attributes and skills each individual has. Typecasting people according to the colour of their skin is simply not on.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:17 pm

jackcass wrote:
I'd much rather reward a Frost or a Martin than waste 1 of those picks on Garlett.

What's worse, Gartlett would come at a price: they'd want at least a high second round pick for him. Even if he is a free agent, his management would demand some decent coin. Much, much better to go for a Martin, a Frost, or even an Armstrong. Save the big dollars for better quality players we need to attract and/or retain.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Lol there's no way Garlett would attract that sort of currency at the moment. He can't even get a game at the Scum while they're on a losing streak. I reckon our development coaches could work with him though, he has shown he has talent, and we all know how crap Carlton's development is. Nearly as bad as Melbourne pre-Roos.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:15 pm

If you cant get a game at Carlton because you are a little soft under pressure and then they sign Gibbs for 5 years you know your in trouble.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Jezza wrote:
When he's playing good football, Garlett is an asset to any team. In the past his pace has absolutely killed us so his attacking game isn't bad by any means and we are in need for small forwards with plenty of pace to burn but the problem with Garlett is he lacks a defensive game and drops his head when he's not playing well, which as a result makes him a complete liability for any team. Along with that, he has been soft in the past as Woftam referred to earlier so his got two weaknesses of his game that need to be eradicated if he's any chance of playing for us in the future.

I wouldn't mind recruiting him but we have to bear in mind that he needs to improve and demonstrate a game other than just being a small attacking forward which would therefore make him a one-dimensional forward.

However in saying all of this could one way of solving our small forward issue be closer to home than we think in terms of a certain player called Steele Sidebottom who's proven to have had a good record as a forward l with his 10-goal performance in the TAC Cup being the most notable one when he's played up forward, however Steele has adapted well as a midfielder and his performance against Carlton was phenomenal to the point of thinking that it's worth persisting to keep him in the midfield.

Anyway this is an interesting question that has been posed to posters but I think Garlett's weaknesses outweigh his strengths at the present time and I just wonder whether he has an eye going back home to Western Australia when his contracts concludes with Carlton.

With all due respect Jezza, the same was said about Leon by opposition supporters for years, before we threw him down back (which I notice MM has tried with Garlett).

That being said, we wouldn't recruit him for the kick-ins.......

If we could get him for a good price I would be keen

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:03 pm

DP

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:24 pm

depends on which Gartlett you get. The one whom runs away from us and we just can't catch him, or the one who can't get a game with Carlton.

Either way, it's still a no brainer. Of course we should get him, he's exactly what we don't have at the moment.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Tannin wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Enough with the racist stuff, OK. Players are players with the attributes and skills each individual has. Typecasting people according to the colour of their skin is simply not on.

Aboriginal isn't a skin colour. You can't deny that there are racial attributes that can advantage or disadvantage certain racial groups in different sports. It's a biological fact, much like certain diseases or food allergies are more common among different racial groups. You can live in equality dreamland if you like, but it wont get you a game in the NBA.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Tannin wrote:
The last time we had a really consistent, quality crumbing small forward who kicked goals week in and week out, we won a premiership. The year was 1990 and his name was Peter Daicos.

Other clubs have high-scoring crumbers often. Look around the comp today, or five years ago, or in five years time, and you'll see three or five or seven good crumbing forwards sprinkled around the other clubs - but we never have one.

Now you can say we recruit the wrong types.

Or you can say we don't train them the right way and bring the talent on the way we should.

Or you can say that our game plan hasn't revolved around a crumbing forward for many years and we discourage that role.

Or you can say that we won't select a crumbing forward in the seniors unless he can do all of the team things too, and we rate those unspectacular team things higher than we rate flashy individual goals.

But no matter what you say, you can't avoid the fact that we practically never have a decent crumbing forward.

Daics wasn't a crumber. He could crumb but he generally won his own ball and in 1990 basically played as a key forward.

Leon was a genuine crumbing small forward, just went missing on GF day.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:44 pm

jackcass wrote:
Culprit wrote:
I would have Garlett in front of Marty Clarke & Armstrong by the length of the Flemington Straight.

And if Clarke and Armstrong don't make a strong statement in the VFL in the next 7 rounds it may be that they'll both be looking for new homes at seasons end. That does not in any way suggest that we should then replace 2 guys who weren't able to take their chances with another guy unlikely to.

I can't foresee a huge turnover of the list at years end so senior spots will be at a premium. I'd much rather reward a Frost or a Martin than waste 1 of those picks on Garlett.
Those two are a waste on our list. Not up to AFL level. Marty was good but a few years away the game changed. Armstrong the token was a waste of a pic.
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Wokko wrote:
Tannin wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Aboriginal isn't a skin colour. You can't deny that there are racial attributes that can advantage or disadvantage certain racial groups in different sports. It's a biological fact, much like certain diseases or food allergies are more common among different racial groups. You can live in equality dreamland if you like, but it wont get you a game in the NBA.

Yeah but there is a difference between the entirely unracist position you've taken there and making 'aboriginal' part of the job description like some have done. I will happily take a Korean, Romanian or Kenyan guy with the right skills even if we are more likely to find them in an indigenous Aussie

uncanny 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:13 pm

pass on Garlett
He is not and never has been a forward.
He can play a good running game from half back on his day but his best is probably now behind him
Compared to Marley he is as soft as butter.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Obviously has talent but surrounded by spuds at Carlton.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 pm

If his tackles could stick, yeah. So, no.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:45 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Jezza wrote:
When he's playing good football, Garlett is an asset to any team. In the past his pace has absolutely killed us so his attacking game isn't bad by any means and we are in need for small forwards with plenty of pace to burn but the problem with Garlett is he lacks a defensive game and drops his head when he's not playing well, which as a result makes him a complete liability for any team. Along with that, he has been soft in the past as Woftam referred to earlier so his got two weaknesses of his game that need to be eradicated if he's any chance of playing for us in the future.

I wouldn't mind recruiting him but we have to bear in mind that he needs to improve and demonstrate a game other than just being a small attacking forward which would therefore make him a one-dimensional forward.

However in saying all of this could one way of solving our small forward issue be closer to home than we think in terms of a certain player called Steele Sidebottom who's proven to have had a good record as a forward l with his 10-goal performance in the TAC Cup being the most notable one when he's played up forward, however Steele has adapted well as a midfielder and his performance against Carlton was phenomenal to the point of thinking that it's worth persisting to keep him in the midfield.

Anyway this is an interesting question that has been posed to posters but I think Garlett's weaknesses outweigh his strengths at the present time and I just wonder whether he has an eye going back home to Western Australia when his contracts concludes with Carlton.

With all due respect Jezza, the same was said about Leon by opposition supporters for years, before we threw him down back (which I notice MM has tried with Garlett).

That being said, we wouldn't recruit him for the kick-ins.......

If we could get him for a good price I would be keen

Valid points mate, but Garlett is too one-dimensional at the moment and if he can't re-invent himself in some way then his career is slipping away more quickly than most have anticipated from a few years ago.

I feel that if we did recruit him then there's something to work with, but he needs to improve in other areas of his game. As I said, I don't question his attacking game when in-form but his defensive game is his biggest issue and with the way our team is today under Bucks, our players need to demonstrate a defensive game or else they're going to struggle. For example, Alan Didak is the most obvious one under Buckley who struggled to adapt to Buckley's emphasis of having a defensive game on top of an attacking game which Dids was brilliant at in his earlier days under Mick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: