Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Garlett the small forward we need?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

we need us another Didak!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:13 am

When he's playing good football, Garlett is an asset to any team. In the past his pace has absolutely killed us so his attacking game isn't bad by any means and we are in need for small forwards with plenty of pace to burn but the problem with Garlett is he lacks a defensive game and drops his head when he's not playing well, which as a result makes him a complete liability for any team. Along with that, he has been soft in the past as Woftam referred to earlier so his got two weaknesses of his game that need to be eradicated if he's any chance of playing for us in the future.

I wouldn't mind recruiting him but we have to bear in mind that he needs to improve and demonstrate a game other than just being a small attacking forward which would therefore make him a one-dimensional forward.

However in saying all of this could one way of solving our small forward issue be closer to home than we think in terms of a certain player called Steele Sidebottom who's proven to have had a good record as a forward l with his 10-goal performance in the TAC Cup being the most notable one when he's played up forward, however Steele has adapted well as a midfielder and his performance against Carlton was phenomenal to the point of thinking that it's worth persisting to keep him in the midfield.

Anyway this is an interesting question that has been posed to posters but I think Garlett's weaknesses outweigh his strengths at the present time and I just wonder whether he has an eye going back home to Western Australia when his contracts concludes with Carlton.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:17 am

Krak was a crumber, but we only had him for a little while. Trouble with this type is they tend to go missing in big games (See Mr. T Rat).
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 am

Flashman wrote:
And Mick reckoned Daisy was worth 700K and Betts was expendable.

I don't trust the old blokes judgement that much anymore.

Lol, give Daisy a pre season and you'll see he's worth 2 betts, I hate him, but he can play.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:04 am

He is not the small forward we need, he is the small forward Carlscum deserve. As handy as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:44 am

Defender wrote:
Flashman wrote:
And Mick reckoned Daisy was worth 700K and Betts was expendable.

I don't trust the old blokes judgement that much anymore.

Lol, give Daisy a pre season and you'll see he's worth 2 betts, I hate him, but he can play.

The jury is out on that one. I have not seen too much this year to inspire me. He hasn't earnt a whole lot of that 750k imo so far this year.
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:32 am

Tannin wrote:
melliot wrote:
Tannin wrote:
The last time we had a really consistent, quality rumbing small forward who kicked goals week in and week out, we won a premiership. The year was 1990 and his name was Peter Daicos.

Other clubs have high-scoring crumbers often. Look around the comp today, or five years ago, or in five years time, and you'll see three or five or seven good crumbing forwards sprinkled around the other clubs - but we never have one.

Now you can say we recruit the wrong types.

Or you can say we don't train them the right way and bring the talent on the way we should.

Or you can say that our game plan hasn't revolved around a crumbing forward for many years and we discourage that role.

Or you can say that we won't select a crumbing forward in the seniors unless he can do all of the team things too, and we rate those unspectacular team things higher than we rate flashy individual goals.

But no matter what you say, you can't avoid the fact that we practically never have a decent crumbing forward.

Leon Davis, Alan Didak, & Paul Medhurst all say hi.

What part of the word crumbing don't you understand? Perhaps we can help.

All those guys crumbed or created goals off the deck. What dont you understand? They also could get it as a leading forward. Medders maybe more so, but still could crumb.

I'd love to have a young versions of any of those three at the moment. Elliott is a version of Medders
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:10 am

Pass! Others prefered. Agree we haven't seemed to target too many players with creative flair and silky skills but clearly they don't grow on trees and the best of them are usually gone by the time we get a pick.

Will be interesting to see how Kennedy and Broomhead develop. They're both more likely to be groomed as mids but you can only run so many guys through the midfield at any given time.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:14 am

jackcass wrote:
Pass! Others prefered. Agree we haven't seemed to target too many players with creative flair and silky skills but clearly they don't grow on trees and the best of them are usually gone by the time we get a pick.

Will be interesting to see how Kennedy and Broomhead develop. They're both more likely to be groomed as mids but you can only run so many guys through the midfield at any given time.

Totally agree with the Nick's player assessment guru ^^^^^

What is the problem about letting our own young players develop under Buck's? Let teams like the scum go spending huge player payment amounts to waste on unsuccessful flag attempts while we build and develop our own stars to win our inevitable flag... Rolling Eyes
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 am

Need some aboriginal play makers in our forward line and maybe midfield. The elite teams seem to have the crafty aboriginals with deft touch who can make everyone else look slow. Find these players and our team is complete.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:41 am

Did you lose it?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:53 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Need some aboriginal play makers in our forward line and maybe midfield. The elite teams seem to have the crafty aboriginals with deft touch who can make everyone else look slow. Find these players and our team is complete.

Play Armstrong up forward then................ Twisted Evil Razz
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:57 am

I would have Garlett in front of Marty Clarke & Armstrong by the length of the Flemington Straight.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Lazza wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Play Armstrong up forward then................ Twisted Evil Razz

Laughing I did say play makers, and I'm not sure Armstrong can be defined as such.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:08 pm

Culprit wrote:
I would have Garlett in front of Marty Clarke & Armstrong by the length of the Flemington Straight.

And if Clarke and Armstrong don't make a strong statement in the VFL in the next 7 rounds it may be that they'll both be looking for new homes at seasons end. That does not in any way suggest that we should then replace 2 guys who weren't able to take their chances with another guy unlikely to.

I can't foresee a huge turnover of the list at years end so senior spots will be at a premium. I'd much rather reward a Frost or a Martin than waste 1 of those picks on Garlett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: