Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jarryd Blair's worth to the side

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashman wrote:
Apparently there are weaknesses in Martins game he needs to work on.

Maybe his defensive counts are low which is causing the selectors to frown on him but I reckon it's hard to be doing 1%ers when you're too busy doing the 99%ers (actually getting the pill) 30+times a week, every week.

I like Martin. Think as a midfielder he runs forward of the ball on the spread as well as any player I've seen at VFL level. Yes he get's 30 odd possessions playing as a mid in the VFL but I fail to see how that relates to playing forward pocket in the seniors which is what people are advocating, a direct replacement for Blair.

The knock on Martin is that he lacks defensive accountability. People counter with what about the 6 or 7 tackles he gets. Again, they're tackles in the midfield hurley burley. How does that translate to forward pocket in the seniors?

Yes, he may get a senior game in the not too distant future and hopefully he can kick a couple. But what will people say if his direct opponent spends the entire game running off him and hitting up pinpoint passes onto the chests of leading forwards (other than the "I wish we had a few doing that" obvious comments) which result in goals?
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 pm

King Malta wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Beast wrote:
woftam wrote:
looked at his stats during the last quarter & he had only 1 contested possession, 1 tackle & 0 1%er's
If that is a pass mark no wonder we are going down the gurgler.

Sorry to say this mate but we aren't going we are already there.
And will remain there for as long as our supporter base is appeased by players like Blair trying hard and thinks our selection panel's shit doesn't stink.

Supporter base appeasment has absolutely zero to do with it unless you're planning a coup to oust the board. People can say whatever they want on here or other forums and it makes zip, nada, zero difference. But you carry on deluding yourself that you can bring about change with innesant whining on a forum.

Bucks: "I was reading Nick's today...what, you don't read it Laps? It's quality mate, have a look, always good for a laugh! But anyway, seems the good people on there have had a gutfull of poor Blairy so looks like it's back to the 2's for him."

"For who you ask? Well, it seems Martin and Broomhead are getting some love on there, why not use one of them? As long as the chaps on the forum are satisfied for another week we'll be right"

Word... for... word...

It's like you were there Wink
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:08 pm

No one thinks that a forum such as nicks
has any influence on the club.
it is only a way of engaging the opinion
of the club supporters
of which i am interested.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 pm

jackcass wrote:
King Malta wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Beast wrote:
woftam wrote:
looked at his stats during the last quarter & he had only 1 contested possession, 1 tackle & 0 1%er's
If that is a pass mark no wonder we are going down the gurgler.

Sorry to say this mate but we aren't going we are already there.
And will remain there for as long as our supporter base is appeased by players like Blair trying hard and thinks our selection panel's shit doesn't stink.

Supporter base appeasment has absolutely zero to do with it unless you're planning a coup to oust the board. People can say whatever they want on here or other forums and it makes zip, nada, zero difference. But you carry on deluding yourself that you can bring about change with innesant whining on a forum.

Bucks: "I was reading Nick's today...what, you don't read it Laps? It's quality mate, have a look, always good for a laugh! But anyway, seems the good people on there have had a gutfull of poor Blairy so looks like it's back to the 2's for him."

"For who you ask? Well, it seems Martin and Broomhead are getting some love on there, why not use one of them? As long as the chaps on the forum are satisfied for another week we'll be right"

Word... for... word...

It's like you were there Wink

Yet here you are!

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:09 pm

Blair only good has been for a substitute witches hat. He has been not good this year and still gets a game
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Reading between the lines of Bucks' post-match conference, I reckon Blair has been 'supported around effort' and Martin needs to show that he is willing to sacrifice his game for the good of the team.

Possibly Buckley sees Martin as selfish and wants to improve that aspect of his on-field character. Even if he is an improvement on Blair as a individual player, if his inclusion compromises the 'one-for-all-and-all-for-one' team ethos that the coach is trying to instigate, then I can understand him leaving him out.

Like many other things that are happening at the moment, it is short term pain for long term gain.

I predict that Martin comes in after the bye and plays well, prompting folks to say 'see we were right, why did it take that idiot Buckley so long to give him a game', not realising that Bucks always knew what he could do but got more out of him by setting the bar higher and prioritising team ethos over individual stats.

I bloody well hope so!

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:49 pm

jackcass wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Apparently there are weaknesses in Martins game he needs to work on.

Maybe his defensive counts are low which is causing the selectors to frown on him but I reckon it's hard to be doing 1%ers when you're too busy doing the 99%ers (actually getting the pill) 30+times a week, every week.

I like Martin. Think as a midfielder he runs forward of the ball on the spread as well as any player I've seen at VFL level. Yes he get's 30 odd possessions playing as a mid in the VFL but I fail to see how that relates to playing forward pocket in the seniors which is what people are advocating, a direct replacement for Blair.

The knock on Martin is that he lacks defensive accountability. People counter with what about the 6 or 7 tackles he gets. Again, they're tackles in the midfield hurley burley. How does that translate to forward pocket in the seniors?

Yes, he may get a senior game in the not too distant future and hopefully he can kick a couple. But what will people say if his direct opponent spends the entire game running off him and hitting up pinpoint passes onto the chests of leading forwards (other than the "I wish we had a few doing that" obvious comments) which result in goals?

Whatever he brings couldn't be worse than the tripe we were asked to swallow yesterday.

Just bloody try something different for once Bucks, better to try something and still get belted as it is to let the rot continue.

Not fair on Blair either really, a run in the 2s would have done him the world of good

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:33 pm

GreekLunatic wrote:
Blair only good has been for a substitute witches hat. He has been not good this year and still gets a game

Blair reminds me of that old St Kilda four-foot-nothing-midget Paul Calary. The only difference is that Calary actually could rove with some skill.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:35 pm

[quote="Collingwood Crackerjack"][quote="jackcass"]
Flashman wrote:
Whatever he brings couldn't be worse than the tripe we were asked to swallow yesterday.

Just bloody try something different for once Bucks, better to try something and still get belted as it is to let the rot continue.

Bucks did not have any flair as a player, [don't shoot me down, he was a great player, but straight up and down .. i can't remember him ever baulking a player or selling the dummy for example], and doesn't seem to have a lot of imagination as a coach.

I don't know how people can predict what Martin will do, and then use that as ammunition as to why he should not get picked.

How we have gotten to this point that we are more worried about a forward's defence rather than his offence. Screwed up.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 pm

I can't understand why a proven ball getter and goal kicker like Martin isn't picked either, but a little perspective guys. His omission from the team has no bearing on our poor performances. We have senior players with proven track records playing very ordinary football atm.

I've maintained a pretty positive outlook all season, but right now, I think we can virtually forget about this season. Let's call the careers on Ball and Maxwell now and play some kids instead. I wouldn't bother playing Young either. Once again I witnessed him wilt under pressure. That's why he was subbed off. Blair needs to be dropped to find some form and Goldsack is in line for the same. These are very experienced players, and their careers are at the crossroads now. They could each be trade bait next year imo. Regardless of an occasional bad game, let's persevere with Keeffe each week and play Broomhead and Martin as well. Don't get me started on the player formerly known as Swanny. That's my rant any way. Had to get it off my chest.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:50 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I can't understand why a proven ball getter and goal kicker like Martin isn't picked either, but a little perspective guys. His omission from the team has no bearing on our poor performances. We have senior players with proven track records playing very ordinary football atm.

I've maintained a pretty positive outlook all season, but right now, I think we can virtually forget about this season. Let's call the careers on Ball and Maxwell now and play some kids instead. I wouldn't bother playing Young either. Once again I witnessed him wilt under pressure. That's why he was subbed off. Blair needs to be dropped to find some form and Goldsack is in line for the same. These are very experienced players, and their careers are at the crossroads now. They could each be trade bait next year imo. Regardless of an occasional bad game, let's persevere with Keeffe each week and play Broomhead and Martin as well. Don't get me started on the player formerly known as Swanny. That's my rant any way. Had to get it off my chest.

some good points - 'formerly know as Swanny' is a good way to put it. He is obviously carrying injuries, you do not age over night like that. With Swan's dash and speed gone, it exposes the rest of the A grade midfield as all being on the slow side.

Keefe, why does he get dropped straight away after a single perceived poor game?

Goldsack / Blair - don't forget they were rookies, and have done well to get where that are, but no improvement left in them.

Maxwell / Ball - it's a dog eat dog business now - may as well be playing Oxley, Ramsey, Broomhead etc to see what they have got.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:20 pm

gurugeoff wrote:

How we have gotten to this point that we are more worried about a forward's defence rather than his offence. Screwed up.

The last bit in bold is pretty right.
What the game as a whole has become is disgusting, but unfortunately, it's the way it is for now.
You can't play 6 Forwards and Half-Forwards who's only tasks are to gather possessions and kick goals.

The main avenue to goal these days are:
- Create a stoppage in the forward line and lock it in. The longer you keep it in the better chance of scoring.
- Create a stoppage and rove the ruck contest for a goal.
- Bring everyone up the ground and kick it over their heads for the quickest to run on to.
- Pressure on the receiver from a kick-out trying to cause a turn-over in the forward half.

How often do you see a lead out from the goalsquare hit lace-out??
How often do you see a long bomb to a one-on-one contest where a crumber swoops on the pill to kick a goal??

THE GAME HAS CHANGED.
Definitely NOT for the better, but there's no point selecting a side to play football as it used to be played...........

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Blair:

Too small to dominate opposition players.

Too slow to outrun them.

Can't outmark them.

Doesn't bring other players into the game.

Doesn't kick enough goals.

Worth to the team = zero.

Delist at the end of the season.

As an aside; Why re we bothering with a no-account like Josh Thomas?

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:09 pm

King Monkey wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:

What the game as a whole has become is disgusting, but unfortunately, it's the way it is for now.
You can't play 6 Forwards and Half-Forwards who's only tasks are to gather possessions and kick goals.

- Create a stoppage in the forward line and lock it in. The longer you keep it in the better chance of scoring.
- Bring everyone up the ground and kick it over their heads for the quickest to run on to.
- Pressure on the receiver from a kick-out trying to cause a turn-over in the forward half.

How often do you see a long bomb to a one-on-one contest where a crumber swoops on the pill to kick a goal??

THE GAME HAS CHANGED.
Definitely NOT for the better, but there's no point selecting a side to play football as it used to be played...........

In the final quarter Kennedy charged out of the centre which Langdon made a strong lead for and had Hurley done cold. Kennedy didn't honour the lead instead he bombed it to the square, Langdon fell trying to turn back to make a contest and Hurley took a simple chest mark.

At that point I thought to myself, why do we only honour leads that end up 50m out in the pockets. Took me back to the Jarrod Molloy days.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Rick wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:

THE GAME HAS CHANGED.

In the final quarter Kennedy charged out of the centre which Langdon made a strong lead for and had Hurley done cold. Kennedy didn't honour the lead instead he bombed it to the square, Langdon fell trying to turn back to make a contest and Hurley took a simple chest mark.

At that point I thought to myself, why do we only honour leads that end up 50m out in the pockets. Took me back to the Jarrod Molloy days.

Happens all too often, its almost as if the chance to play textbook footy freezes them like a dear in the headlights, and its bang it long under 11's style

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14   

Jump to: