Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jarryd Blair's worth to the side

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Beast wrote:

And will remain there for as long as our supporter base is appeased by players like Blair trying hard and thinks our selection panel's shit doesn't stink.

Ah yes, the "Jack Spain" delusion Very Happy. If only supporters demanded more on bulletin boards across the internet, our team would be far more hungry and the coach would finally get the message and play that long list of stars we have in the VFL just waiting for a chance.

And the obsessing over Blair is just getting ridiculous. Sure he's no star player but nor have his performances been atrocious. We certainly could replace him with say, Kennedy. But is that what an already young team, struggling to run out games really needs? Martin's not much of an option as he really doesn't offer anything different.

I'd have little problem with Blair being dropped, as his performances have not been outstanding (Goldsack's in a similar boat). But, let's put it into perspective, he's playing forward pocket and replacing him wouldn't have a dramatic impact on our prospects.

Hiss is a piss extracting merchant I'm actually being serious.
Our powers that be recently have proven to be not much wiser than our typical fan, easily satisfied and not much chop bar sounding positive and sweet-talking.
And the sooner you realise most sides don't even have anyone playing Blair's role and even the ones that still have use far quicker and skillful players in it.
And while the Sack doesn't set the world on fire he gives us grunt and flexibility such as Bucks' hilarious move of sending Langdon forward and the Sack back. Blair doesn't even have these fairly questionably but still redeeming features nevertheless.

The forward pocket at Hawthorn is very similar to Blair. And we did have him in the side in 2010 (played both Blair and Goldsack in the GF). Has he dropped off that badly, or has the game changed?

I mostly agree with your points though. Blair's not setting the world on fire and if I were to drop a defensive forward (which I would), it would be Blair not the more flexible Goldsack. With Elliott returning I'd probably make the move. If it was Blair or Martin though? I'd stick with Blair. Kennedy or Blair? A tough one, because I really don't want to make the side any younger but do like Kennedy, Blair may just get the nod.

With a full list, Blair is not in my 22. With the injuries we've had, I don't think there's been an option available that screams inept selectioneering. His selection in any game this season has been far from indefensible.

Beast 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Poppy was the closest comparison I had in mind too but Hawks can cover his shortcomings by having an abundance of athletic and highly skilled players in the side for now. And at the same time their supporters (I'm mates with a couple) are very realistic about his pecking order in the side.
And I'm certain the game has evolved past players like Blairy being a permanent fixture in the side. Also there's only one way to find out whether Martin would be an upgrade on him and leaving him to rot in the magoos and wondering why the hell I'm not getting a game when the seniors been struggling for months while I'm tearing it up is not it.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm definitely on board with getting more creativity and goal scoring power into the team. I don't see Martin as a realistic option, but Fasolo, Kennedy and Karnezis would be.
Beast 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Why don't you see Martin being a realistic option???
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:16 pm

Martin at the completion of Rnd 12 is outright 3rd in the VFL goal kicking table.

As our VFL regulars will tell you he is tagged weekly and still manages to hit the score board.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:16 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I'm definitely on board with getting more creativity and goal scoring power into the team. I don't see Martin as a realistic option, but Fasolo, Kennedy and Karnezis would be.

Mate have you even seen Martin play? Gets tagged every week, still racks up 30+ possessions and kicks goals. His opponent yesterday had been run ragged by half time. If he isn't promoted for the next game after the insipid performance from several players whom he could easily replace, then there is something seriously wrong with our selection committee.
the pie guy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:20 pm

The good thing about Blair is that every time he is on the field he gives 100%, the bad is that his best is very average and I cant see any upside to him in years to come, What you see is as good as its going to get.

The thing we must do in the next few weeks is to find out who, in the two's, will be good enough to make it, and that should be bad news for Blair and a few others. No use waiting until round 20 to find out if Broomhead, Martin, PK, ets can play, start playing kids now and if they show something give them the next few games.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Apparently there are weaknesses in Martins game he needs to work on.

Maybe his defensive counts are low which is causing the selectors to frown on him but I reckon it's hard to be doing 1%ers when you're too busy doing the 99%ers (actually getting the pill) 30+times a week, every week.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Flashman wrote:

Maybe his defensive counts are low which is causing the selectors to frown on him but I reckon it's hard to be doing 1%ers when you're too busy doing the 99%ers (actually getting the pill) 30+times a week, every week.

Maybe he needs to develop his shitful side a little more so that he can be selected to play in our shitful seniors.

You obviously can't be too good or you would make some AFL players look pretty average. Can't have that now.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:09 pm

I'd take Martin over Blair every time.

It's laughable that he hasn't got a game and a perfect example of what's so wrong with our selection at present.

Outside of Cloke and Elliott (and not including the midfielders)the players with the most potential to have a scoreboard impact on a consistent level would be Reid, Fasolo, Martin, Karnezis, Kennedy and Broomhead yet whether because of injury or reluctance to give them a shot they've barely been sighted at AFL level if at all.

No wonder we're struggling when the majority of our goal kicking talent is sidelined for one reason or another.

If available it's time for selection to be based on talent for a month rather than effort.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Selectors are idiots
Beast 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Flashman wrote:

His tackle count has been very high and he should be able to cover Blair's average of 0.5 1%ers over the last two weeks with ease.
He's prone to some shanks but who in our side isn't?
Absolutely no idea what he has to work on to satisfy our selection panel....
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Beast wrote:

Ask him how many times he has gone to watch him play? Wink
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Beast wrote:

A realistic option that is different to what Blair brings to the team.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:04 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Beast wrote:

A realistic option that is different to what Blair brings to the team.

He's got the potential to bring more goals, better disposal by foot and a more athletic package able to rotate through the midfield when required (he's tagged for a reason at VFL level).

I'd say that's a start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14   

Jump to: