Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The slave islands of Sth Korea

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:06 pm
Post subject: The slave islands of Sth KoreaReply with quote

I read this article this morning. Interesting nuances about how a society treats it's disabled. Some don't want to leave cos they have no where else to go.

And this is not past history, it's now.

Quote:
HE RAN the first chance he got.
The summer sun beat down on the shallow, sea-fed fields where Kim Seong-baek was forced to work without pay, day after 18-hour day mining the big salt crystals that blossomed in the mud around him. Half-blind and in rags, Kim grabbed another slave, and the two men — both disabled — headed for the coast.
Far from Seoul, the glittering steel-and-glass capital of one of Asia’s richest countries, they were now hunted men on this tiny, remote island where the enslavement of disabled salt farm workers is an open secret.
“It was a living hell,” Kim said. “I thought my life was over.”
Lost, they wandered past asphalt-black salt fields sparkling with a patina of thin white crust. They could feel the islanders they passed watching them. Everyone knew who belonged and who didn’t.
Near a grocery, the store owner’s son came out and asked what they were doing. Kim broke down, begged for help, said he’d been held against his will. The man offered to take them to the police to file a report. Instead, he called their boss, who beat Kim with a rake — and it was back to the salt fields.
“I couldn’t fight back,” Kim said, in a recent series of interviews with The Associated Press whose details are corroborated by court records and by lawyers, police and government officials. “The islanders are too organised, too connected.”
Slavery thrives on this chain of rural islands off South Korea’s rugged southwest coast, nurtured by a long history of exploitation and the demands of trying to squeeze a living from the sea.

Really good article I thought.

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/national-shame-a-living-hell-for-slaves-on-remote-south-korean-islands/story-fnh81fz8-1227173249821

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really £$%$ed
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't start me, though this round of naming and shaming will hopefully be a tipping point. You're basically looking at an unholy mix of traditional culture, and something being out of mind, out of sight.

However, even in Seoul, there seems to be thousands with disassociative disorders wandering the streets who probably only need basic anti-psychotic medication and a bit of support (not to mention the alcoholics, though my understanding is alcoholism is quite a bit harder to treat).

From what I can tell, several factors have converged to create such horrors:

1. Persistent, prescientific views of mental illness (time to dispel the mythology of older generations on this front; there is no reason to sustain it anymore out of deference for age, especially given South Korea's highly advanced medical science community lives in a parallel universe and could easily assume full responsibility for mental illness discourse)

2. Face and shame culture (time for much stronger discrimination law generally; expectations of discrimination and shame still drive way too much behaviour, from people getting unnecessary plastic surgery, to rape not being reported and depression being dismissed)

3. Anachronistic familial social assumptions (time for a serious welfare system that treats people as citizens; family members can no longer be relied upon to carry the welfare burden as old familial ties and duties are fast becoming a thing of the past)

4. Tolerance of rural difference (this is a difficult one because rural areas are ageing and genuinely are of a different cultural and historical period)

5. Judicial corruption (an ongoing problem that will gradually recede IMO as it's more a transitional cultural phenomenon that depends on the social structures around it being reformed, such as discrimination and familial assumptions)

My immediate reform focus is on 1-3. However, you will find that the younger generation is being held back on such reforms by older folk and those who benefit from discrimination. I half expect a local analogue to a 1960s/1970s Western cultural revolution to speed up a resolution to that social contradiction. Talk to young Koreans and you get the impression it could happen any moment, such is the disconnect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: