Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I'm not sure if this is usual practice or not

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:25 pm
Post subject: I'm not sure if this is usual practice or notReply with quote

I was listening to AFL 360 on Tuesday and again last night and on Tuesday Robbo announced that if ratified by the board Gibbs would be given a long term deal. Ten last night they announced it had been ratified by the board and he got a 5yr term.
It had me wondering if this was normal practice at all AFL clubs ?
My quandary is as follows
1- If the coach and recruitment/list management want player A for 5yrs but the board doesn't who then gets there way ?
2- Why would a board need to ratify the terms of a players contract wouldn't this be the job of the CEO to ensure it is within the salary cap and in accordance with AFL laws ?
3- Why would you employ a CEO and recruitment/list managers or football managers if you wanted the final say on recruitment ?

I am by no means an expert in this field but it seems very strange to me.
I wonder if this is normal practice at all clubs or is this just a Carlton thing ?
Anyone who could shed some light I would be appreciative

Cheers
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs wasn't your everyday deal, iirc he wanted to see the clubs financial records (as in who was getting what) to value himself accordingly.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.

Last edited by Bob Sugar on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Pies require board sign off on relatively small capital works programs from what I understand.

I'd expect a 5 year contract for a Top 3-5 player at a club would be a significant investment and something the board would sign off on….albeit generally with enthusiasm.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:41 pm

There's only one Tony Lockett...
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:46 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
There's only one Tony Lockett...

Yep, how we ever won a flag under that parrot is mindboggling, not only did the planets align, but their moons as well, and we had Daicos.

You like this.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:38 am

Corporate oversight - even hiring a graduate where I work requires sign-off by the President's office in the US.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:32 am

Defender wrote:
Gibbs wasn't your everyday deal, iirc he wanted to see the clubs financial records (as in who was getting what) to value himself accordingly.

Scary you would think his management would know his worth. IMO if they paid him more than $2 a season they have been ripped off. Now he has his long term deal expect his form to go backwards again to his usual 12 possession games.
Good news for us he will be to busy counting his money now to worry about getting the ball this weekend
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:50 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Defender wrote:

Scary you would think his management would know his worth. IMO if they paid him more than $2 a season they have been ripped off. Now he has his long term deal expect his form to go backwards again to his usual 12 possession games.
Good news for us he will be to busy counting his money now to worry about getting the ball this weekend

I think they stuffed up by keeping him, if they'd let him go they would've received band one compo which would give them 2 primo picks this year considering where they'll finish, and a slush fund to chase Frawley.

So happy days. Smile

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:42 am

Defender wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Defender wrote:

I think they stuffed up by keeping him, if they'd let him go they would've received band one compo which would give them 2 primo picks this year considering where they'll finish, and a slush fund to chase Frawley.

So happy days. Smile

Justifiable deep seated concern that they'd just f@*! the draft selections anyway Wink
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:10 pm

This isn't about Collingwood.

Belongs in the graveyard doesn't it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: