Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pirates Beware

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I still do. My old tube TV doesn't have USB capability, and my new external hard drive doesn't seem to like Lola's monstrous LCD. Plus, did I mention I'm a Luddite? Wink

I have not Figured out how to use a External HD on a TV yet

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:31 pm

Most new TVs have USB ports, though finding them is the easy bit. Usually you then have to go through and select the right input, cross your fingers and hope it shows up (usually you'll just have a list of files and folders like on a computer). Alternatively, some DVD and blu-ray players also have USB connections, so you can try playing it through there instead. A third option (probably the worst, but also the most likely to succeed) is using HDMI cables to play it directly through your computer.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:17 pm

David wrote:
Most new TVs have USB ports, though finding them is the easy bit. Usually you then have to go through and select the right input, cross your fingers and hope it shows up (usually you'll just have a list of files and folders like on a computer). Alternatively, some DVD and blu-ray players also have USB connections, so you can try playing it through there instead. A third option (probably the worst, but also the most likely to succeed) is using HDMI cables to play it directly through your computer.

Thanks for the Tips. I have WDTV I use sometimes

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:44 am

I have a DXtreme media player that is permanently connected to my TV's HDMI port. The media player can play all video formats via USB or it can stream video files from my laptop via WiFi.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:18 am

IINET is Giving in to the Prick in Government

https://torrentfreak.com/aussie-isps-rushing-ahead-with-anti-piracy-proposals-150113/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:49 am

Uh oh. If iinet has capitulated, I'd say the battle is lost.

Having said that, this doesn't sound too unreasonable:

Quote:
Subscribers will be informed by email that their connections are being used to share content unlawfully and will be politely but firmly asked to stop. An educational program, which advises users where to obtain content legally, is likely to augment the scheme.

But I still want to know how they define piracy. Is it all use of torrents, use of certain websites (such as The Pirate Bay or Kickass), or the downloading of certain files (e.g. Game of Thrones)? Have you read anything about this, Dave?

Edit: This seems to suggest that it'll be based on specific titles (most likely Hollywood blockbusters and major TV shows):

http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-piracy-notices-from-benign-to-ridiculous-150109/

I doubt they'll be giving me too much trouble. Smile

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:50 pm

David wrote:
Uh oh. If iinet has capitulated, I'd say the battle is lost.

Having said that, this doesn't sound too unreasonable:

Quote:
Subscribers will be informed by email that their connections are being used to share content unlawfully and will be politely but firmly asked to stop. An educational program, which advises users where to obtain content legally, is likely to augment the scheme.

But I still want to know how they define piracy. Is it all use of torrents, use of certain websites (such as The Pirate Bay or Kickass), or the downloading of certain files (e.g. Game of Thrones)? Have you read anything about this, Dave?

Edit: This seems to suggest that it'll be based on specific titles (most likely Hollywood blockbusters and major TV shows):

http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-piracy-notices-from-benign-to-ridiculous-150109/

I doubt they'll be giving me too much trouble. Smile

Yeah - I am thinking it be more the Well-Known Torrent Sites. There be some still out there that might not be Banned plus you can try VPN or some sort of Encryption

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/inside-the-nsa-s-war-on-internet-security-a-1010361.html

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:25 pm

The anti piracy groups, paid by major studios use software to pull IP addresses from a torrent. So if you connect to a torrent and download then these groups have your IP address. With that they can find your ISP, they then send them a letter.

Of course they don't know who YOU are, and your ISP only knows that that address was connected to your account on that day. They don't know if you share your internet with a household full of people or the asshole next door has hacked your connection.

You'll then get a letter or email saying that your account has been used for piracy and to knock it off. A VPN or proxy will prevent this from happening because then the IP address that shows up in the torrent is just a datacentre in Romania or Laos or wherever you connect to.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:39 pm

Wokko wrote:
So if you connect to a torrent and download then these groups have your IP address. With that they can find your ISP, they then send them a letter.

I went to download a movie the other day and a message popped up saying my IP address had been sent to the FBI. Except the address they quoted wasn't mine.

#SIDEBYSIDE
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:46 pm

Can't answer that one mandy. Sounds like a virus/trojan on your computer or just a dodgy website that you tried to download from. Where do you get your movies from? I might be able to direct you to a better alternative.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Wokko wrote:
The anti piracy groups, paid by major studios use software to pull IP addresses from a torrent. So if you connect to a torrent and download then these groups have your IP address. With that they can find your ISP, they then send them a letter.

Of course they don't know who YOU are, and your ISP only knows that that address was connected to your account on that day. They don't know if you share your internet with a household full of people or the asshole next door has hacked your connection.

You'll then get a letter or email saying that your account has been used for piracy and to knock it off. A VPN or proxy will prevent this from happening because then the IP address that shows up in the torrent is just a datacentre in Romania or Laos or wherever you connect to.

In Canda they Government is Cracking down on VPN’s so your info be kept and accessed.

https://torrentfreak.com/canadian-piracy-notices-boost-demand-anonymous-vpns-150113/

https://torrentfreak.com/canada-wants-vpns-to-log-and-warn-pirating-customers-131011/

https://torrentfreak.com/canadian-piracy-notices-from-benign-to-ridiculous-150109/

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Quote:
Mr Dalby told Fairfax Media last August the bigger issue in tackling internet piracy was that the business model of entertainment companies was flawed. He said cinema had become too expensive and legal content should be cheaper, to lessen the attractiveness of illegally downloading movies.

At least the Head of IINET is not Idiot like people in Government.

He agree’s with lot of people in the Public

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/isps_will_be_ready_for_piracy_deadline_pybA40gmbzOdsOSz8cVmAK

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:13 am

Wokko wrote:
Can't answer that one mandy. Sounds like a virus/trojan on your computer or just a dodgy website that you tried to download from. Where do you get your movies from? I might be able to direct you to a better alternative.

Normally always Kickass where I've never had a problem. But what I wanted wasn't there so I Googled and ended up at what was probably a dodgy website.

#SIDEBYSIDE
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:18 am

mandy wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Normally always Kickass where I've never had a problem. But what I wanted wasn't there so I Googled and ended up at what was probably a dodgy website.

Most Unknown Public Trackers can be Dodgy as people don’t Monitor it as much as Private Trackers or KickAss or Piratebay

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 am

My setup.

Original setup:

- Server with about five hard drives in it. Can stream via Ethernet or wireless to other devices in the house (or out of the house). Setup to download shows/movies I want automatically and rename automatically and move into a folders categorised by shows and season or movie. I don't use torrents to download the files, I use Usenet.

I've actually stopped downloading mostly as I'm using Netflix and Hulu now.

- PC (built as a media centre PC). This is running software which categorises movies, tv shows etc and displays it on an interface which is friendly for TVs (software is called mediaportal, but there are others like XBMC/Kodi). This isn't being used as much now as I bought a Roku (see below). Streams content off the server. Will probably get rid of this as I'm not using it much now.

New setup:

- NEW - Roku 3. This is a little media streamer. You can install "apps" that allow you to access Netflix/Hulu etc and also stream content off my home server.
- I stream all content off my server using software called Plex. Similar to mediaportal but can install on many more devices.
- I have a plex "client" app installed on my Roku and on my phone. It transcodes files that the Roku doesn't like on the fly, so regardless of file type, it will play the file. I can play files off my server over the net on PC via plex website or I can use my phone. I can even share my content with friends/family who have plex.

Worth doing if you have patience to learn it all.

All the DVDs I had burned are now digital files on the server, the DVDs themselves have been turfed.

I'm trying to move away from downloading stuff (where possible) and using streaming services like Netflix instead. HBO are releasing a stand alone streaming service when GOT comes out this year, so I may sign up to that too so I can get GOT legitimately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 7 of 21   

Jump to: