Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pirates Beware

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
How did a thread about piracy suddenly get onto the psychological impacts on people who can't afford to go to the cinema to watch the latest installment of "the Hobbit"?

Easy:

art as cultural meaning > the human need for meaning and therefore access to art > monopoly art products limit access to cultural meaning > ways of gaining access such as illegal downloading

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Culprit wrote:
^^ Have to agree Stui.

QA time

Why do I download shows & movies?

A. Re TV Shows or serials. I got sick and tired of watching a series that starts say Weds 8.30pm, then a couple of weeks later the rating are low so it's shifted to Mon 10.30pm then it disappears totally. Throw in a TV series that is 12 months old that has already been viewed in the US and is all over the WWW. Now I just download them and watch them in my own time. Does that cost the movie business money? Well I miss the commercials but when they are on I am not watching anyway so no. I still pay my foxtel subscription so I would suggest so far my activity hasn't cost them anything.

Now Movies, I simply don't like going to the Cinemas, only time I go is Gold Class and that's rare. If I like a show I would download it when it becomes available in DVD quality. That normally means it has run its race at the Cinemas or its just a crap show or it has been leaked by someone as a DVD screener on the inside.

If it wasn't available to download I would wait till it came out on TV or Foxtel. Again I have not cost the movie businesses money in my actions.

Microsoft battled piracy for years with exorbitant charges on its OS Software and has turned around and made it's OS software cheaper and affordable. Pirated versions of windows 7/8 is now rare.

I use Steam for my games, it's affordable. If we ever get ultra High speed broadband in this Country. Movies and TV shows will be watched via the net. Foxtel, Free TV will become non existent.

Ditto,

I get frustrated with FTA TV putting shows on then moving them around and taking them off. If I could have got Arrow season 2 on Foxtel I would have happily just set the series link record like I did for Game of Thrones and wouldn't have had to download them.

Now that I've seen them I'm unlikely to spring for DVD Box Sets, but that's the same regardless how I actually watched them.

Same as Movies. I dislike going to the movie cinema too. I just don't enjoy the experience, I'd much prefer to watch it in the comfort of my own home. So if I want to watch it, I'll download it or wait til it comes on Foxtel or FTA TV.

Easiest way to stop so called "piracy" is to make digital downloads available legally at a reasonable price.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:44 pm

Well after all the huffing and puffing what they have come out with is very lame and shows a complete lack of understanding of the Internet by those in power. Malcolm Turdbull has the best option, slow the speeds down that much that no one will bother to download. All I can say is Blocking Sites is like plugging leaks in a rusty pipe. Laughing
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:14 pm

My VPN is currently turned off, but often I'm posting on here from Bucharest, Romania and that's where anyone snooping on my Piracy will think I'm from. My VPN company will get letters to their server office in Bucharest about the piracy and because they don't keep any records they throw these letters in the bin.

Anyone who uses Netflix already knows how to use a VPN to get around geoblocking, so it's no stretch for them to learn how to Pirate effectively. The only people who get caught up in this are those who aren't all that up with tech and therefore are probably just pirating the episode of "Big Bang Theory" they missed because they don't know about catchup TV yet.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:36 pm

If the North Koreans keep hacking into the Movie companies, piracy in Australia will be of little concern.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:01 pm

I've never done the VPN, haven't bothered.

I just get stuff I want via torrents.

An example of how the TV companies can influence behaviour:

Arrow: I like Arrow, it's up to season 3 in the US and on season 1 on Foxtel. Considering I could legally buy season 1 and 2 on DVD, you reckon I'm going to wait until Foxtel gets around to catching up? (ps, boo to Nine network who had it and let it go)

Flash. I downloaded the first couple of episodes of series 1, then Foxtel started showing it about 4 episodes behind the US, So I stopped downloading and I'm happy to set the series link and watch it on Foxtel.

Simple really, make people wait unreasonable times or make it hard to get legally, they'll get it illegally.

Make it available within a reasonable timeframe at a reasonable price, people will work with that..

Those principles work with more than TV and movies.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:07 pm

I use a VPN while torrenting so the powers that be cant see what I'm doing. We've got off fairly lightly here in Aus, but I don't trust the current government not to sell us out to the snakes in Hollywood. I'll keep my activities on the down low and stop when I can legally watch things for a reasonable price (I already have Quikflix streaming, but it's very limited, has too much 'premium' content and is kinda a shit company). I'm hoping Netflix can do well when they launch here, and there is NO way I'm paying for Foxtel.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:08 pm

Exactly Stui, I like Gotham. It went from 8.30pm Start to 9pm. Stfu I say Razz
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Culprit wrote:
Exactly Stui, I like Gotham. It went from 8.30pm Start to 9pm. Stfu I say Razz

I watch this too and I haven't trusted network TV here to do the right thing by viewers since they £$%$ed with Babylon 5 back in the 90s. Back then I waited for the VHS tapes to come out, now I can watch it about 1hr after it's screened in the States.

The media companies have to get with the times, because they're getting left behind and will head the same way as the Canal owners in England once the trains started steaming around.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Foxtel is pretty cheap right now, we just got the basic package, and I added movies, (for the three of us with taste) and the boring shit package (docos) for hubby, for the next couple of months whilst there's nothing on the idiot box! I'll upgrade sport during the footy season.

I stream a couple of series from the USA, I used to download torrents, but got too many scary warnings, and then a couple of virus's, not worth the hassle. If I want something bad enough, I buy the box set from the U.S. Get subtitles that wat too.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Yeah TP, torrents can get a bit scary if you don't know how to cover your arse and most people don't. They're the ones who'll get caught while the real pirates with unlimited connections will just keep going.

I've had Foxtel before but there was SOOO much shit, and adding in all the extras ended up costing a fortune (Partner loves old movies and lifestyle stuff, I like sports, docos and movies, daughter wants the kids stuff). Also the Pay per views for combat sports and I feel like any minute I'm not watching TV I'm ripping myself off. I really think the pay TV model is outdated and streaming video on demand is the only way to go.

I still like buying boxed sets though, but only on sale. $60-90 for a TV series is a bit steep (and almost double what they pay in the USA/UK).

Oh and you can find subtitles for pirated stuff too if you know where to look Laughing
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:29 pm

Will Tor protect me like a VPN would in regards to torrents?

Can I even download a torrent via UTorrent via TOR and have it hide my identity?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:43 pm

I don't know enough about TOR, but I don't think that's what I'd be using it for. I believe it's been compromised anyway, the Silk Road guy got arrested so I wouldn't be trusting it. A VPN is the way I'd go, or at least a proxy server.

At a minimum download Peerblock. It's like using a condom with holes poked in it, but it's better than nothing Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:07 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Will Tor protect me like a VPN would in regards to torrents?

Can I even download a torrent via UTorrent via TOR and have it hide my identity?

I've read up on this and it's generally advised that you don't torrent over TOR. It's far too easy to compromise your anonymity that way.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:17 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/pirate-bay-sets-sail-for-costa-rica-following-swedish-raid-20141210-123wn6.html

I was wondering why I couldn't access it.

LOL.

P.S-Hey Wokko what VPN do you use and how much does it cost per month?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21   

Jump to: