Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 11 - Collingwood vs Footscray at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
next week we will be in magpiebat, swoop42 and breadcrawl's neighbourhood.

Lock up your goats.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:58 pm
Post subject: Re: Armstrong Runs Away from the BallReply with quote

Kosh wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Radio reckons Armstrong just ran away from the ball?

He might of, didn't see...

Confirmed. Happened in front of me.

copped a whack and needed to get off.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:08 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Short review, we started badly and ended badly, we were ok in the second and third quarters but it was a predictable results against the most in form side in the VFL, they are a flag contender.

4; Brodie Grundy..... Wasn't impressed at all with him today, he did some absolutely stupid things (like giving away 50 for a punch in the guts off the ball) and was dominated around the ground by the Dogs talls.
7; Ben Kennedy...... BOG for us again, love the kid, he does tend to blaze away a bit and kick the ball in the air a lot but he wins the hard ball, lays tackles and does the hard stuff. Would have had a tonne of the ball by games end, should play against Carlton.
9; Clarke...... OK without being brilliant, was one of his better VFL games this year though.
27; Armstrong.... He has talent and at times showed that today with a lovely long goal early on, but just doesn't do enough.
37; Kyle Martin..... Not his best game today but still got a lot of it. Didn't spend much time up forward at all which meant he couldn't impact the scoreboard.
38; Peter Yagmoor... I thought he was ok today, defensively he made several nice spoils and laid some nice tackles. Uses the ball well usually too.
46; Jonathon Marsh... Love this kid, I'm on the bandwagon now. May actually make a defender out of him too, but he was beaten one on one a lot today. When he gets the ball though he is starting to think about what he does with it, and that pace is just a wow factor. Developing really well.
48; Mooney... Played forward most of the day and kicked one goal.

Of the VFL listed players Suckling, Ferguson (3 goals), Allan (2 goals), Howe (down back) and Turner were the best I thought.

Thanks for the review Matt Smile

Going by your summary, I can't see Grundy coming back into the side unless Witts gets dropped which may happen after seeing Bucks spray him yesterday during the game against Hawthorn.

Ben Kennedy's a talented kid. A little surprised he hasn't been in the seniors more often this year as he was highly talked about during the pre-season and he was showing some good signs during the NAB Challenge games.

Marsh could be anything, but I like what I've heard about him so far.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:52 am

jackcass wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
It is as dark as my partial namesake's secret headquarters, here.

How fitting...

Siren.

FULL TIME.

Collingwood 10.9.69
Footscray 17.12.114

Over to you...

Magpie has got a secret headquarters, whale oil beef hooked!

Cute. Wink

You know what I meant...
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:54 am

MOTR wrote:
Forgot about this game. Out watching GWS put the final nails into Carlton's season.

Any returnees or bright lights, MB?

Kennedy...
(daylight...)
the rest.

Yeah, pretty much BenKen, MOTR.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:45 am

mattys123 wrote:
Short review, we started badly and ended badly, we were ok in the second and third quarters but it was a predictable results against the most in form side in the VFL, they are a flag contender.

4; Brodie Grundy..... Wasn't impressed at all with him today, he did some absolutely stupid things (like giving away 50 for a punch in the guts off the ball) and was dominated around the ground by the Dogs talls.
7; Ben Kennedy...... BOG for us again, love the kid, he does tend to blaze away a bit and kick the ball in the air a lot but he wins the hard ball, lays tackles and does the hard stuff. Would have had a tonne of the ball by games end, should play against Carlton.
9; Clarke...... OK without being brilliant, was one of his better VFL games this year though.
27; Armstrong.... He has talent and at times showed that today with a lovely long goal early on, but just doesn't do enough.
37; Kyle Martin..... Not his best game today but still got a lot of it. Didn't spend much time up forward at all which meant he couldn't impact the scoreboard.
38; Peter Yagmoor... I thought he was ok today, defensively he made several nice spoils and laid some nice tackles. Uses the ball well usually too.
46; Jonathon Marsh... Love this kid, I'm on the bandwagon now. May actually make a defender out of him too, but he was beaten one on one a lot today. When he gets the ball though he is starting to think about what he does with it, and that pace is just a wow factor. Developing really well.

Of the VFL listed players Suckling, Ferguson (3 goals), Allan (2 goals), Howe (down back) and Turner were the best I thought.

Pretty fair summation of things. Dogs were physically too big for us and lots of experience with Stringer, Goodes, Campbell et alia.
Thought Grundy showed bits - some nice marks, some surprising pace too but didn't really demand a recall.
Noticeable how big our injury list is with guys like Oxley, Ramsay there on the sidelines.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:35 am

Albert Parker wrote:
mattys123 wrote:

Pretty fair summation of things. Dogs were physically too big for us and lots of experience with Stringer, Goodes, Campbell et alia.
Thought Grundy showed bits - some nice marks, some surprising pace too but didn't really demand a recall.
Noticeable how big our injury list is with guys like Oxley, Ramsay there on the sidelines.

OMG Ramsay didn't play either... that's 15 senior or rookie listed players sitting in the stands...
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:03 pm

we had hardly no talls in the game (all of them are injured). we had only 2 talls grundy and some vfl top up player.

grundy has to stop giving away free kicks.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Okay, a touch belated, but here are my player reviews...

4. Brodie Grundy
Bloody ordinary. Got schooled in the art of ruckwork by Tom Cambell and Ayce Cordy. After his first centre bounce at the start of the game, where he executed a textbook palm down to our mids, I thought we would be in for a show, but that's where Grundy's contribution pretty much finished. As noted, he gave away a Goddamn stupid 50 metre penalty after he kidney punched Campbell off the ball.

You know, after that NAB game up in Wangaratta, where the Richmond players went out of their way to get under his skin, I thought Brodie might have learnt a thing or two about keeping his cool. Nope, doesn't look like it. After that performance, and assuming he doesn't earn the wrath of the VFL Tribunal, he can stay at this level for the foreseeable future.

Dave, I don't want to hear it, there is precious little that can be salvaged from that display. Can Buckley give Brodie a spray as well?

7. Ben Kennedy
With our VFL midfield lacking guys like Thomas, Adams and Broomhead, and with Martin copping his weekly scragging parasite, it fell to Kennedy to carry our centre square contingent. And on this weekend's showing, he well and truly deserves a shot in the seniors. In the second term, he absolutely dominated and was pretty much the sole reason why we were able to claw our way back into the game. Tapered off as the game went on, but clearly one of our few outright winners. Unarguable best on ground, for mine.

Did let himself down with his finishing at times, but it was a case of quantity trumping quality from Ben. Well and truly put his hand up for the seniors (again).

9. Martin Clarke
Had a running job on Mitch Honeychurch, who booted 3 goals. Actually thought Sunday's game, at least in general play, was a better effort from Marty compared to recent form, even accounting for his direct opponent's impact on the scoreboard, but it's just too little too late from Clarke.

27. Tony Armstrong
Unlike some, I'm prepared to give credit where it is due to players I don't think highly of. Armstrong had a few 'good work' moments, including a nice mark and vision to set up Ferguson's 2nd quarter goal and a hard tackle in the 1st quarter. Still gives his opponent more space than someone trying to avoid catching bubonic plague, though, and using Buckley's favourite measuring stick, is not likely to trouble the match committee any time soon.

37. Kyle Martin
As usual, copped quite a vicious tag. Lin Jong, surely the most untalented feel-good story going in the AFL, was Kyle's designated parasite, but Jong got a lot of assistance from his team mates, who proceeded to bump, block, grope, knock and just generally harass Kyle at every opportunity. Credit to Martin for grinding his way through, but his impact was severely limited. It is downright disgraceful what his opponents get away with, but such is life... Evil or Very Mad

38. Peter Yagmoor
Another solid game from Yags. It wasn't the best day to be a defender, with the sheer supply of inside 50s the Dogs forwards ended up getting in the end. Couple that with Footscray's height up forward, and it was always going to be a tough day at the office for any Pies backman. Peter acquitted himself reasonably well. He had Johannisen as his opponent, who eventually got away from him and kicked 3 goals (2 of which came in junk time).

His best bit of play came in the 2nd term, where he took the ball down the Turner Street wing to half forward, spotted Martin loose in the pocket, and hit him on the chest with a perfectly weighted pass. Things like that make you wonder if he could make it as rebounding small defender, but then he gives away some space to his opponent, then you wonder if he'll make it at all.

His form this year probably has him in contention for a 3rd and final year as a rookie, but at 22 years old in 2015, you have to wonder if he has reached his ceiling by now. Does he have another gear left to improve to?

46. Jonathon Marsh
Was absolutely smashed by his direct opponent Jack Redpath, with Redpath's inaccuracy blunting the damage he did on the scoreboard. Disorganisation in the back half meant Marsy also had to cover Campbell and Cordy at times, where he was duly exposed 1 on 1. In the end, by my count, he had 7 goals kicked on him. Was moved onto Stringer later in the game, who he held to just 1 goal, so a victory of sorts there.

Marsh really suffered from not having Nathan Brown (on the current form of our senior key backs) to take one of their monsters. I would also suggest that electing to go 6 on 6 with the Doggies in their forward line was a mistake on Tapping's (and/or Buckley's) part. A loose man in defence would have helped stem the bleeding, particularly in that first quarter. Adam Oxley's absence might have forced the coaching staff's hand a little, but still, I question why another option wasn't tried.

Also had an embarrassing moment late in the third when he was tracking long Bulldogs kick back the goal square and, instead of rushing the behind, found a way to trip over the top of the ball, which saw one of their smalls get a cheapie that by all rights should never have been there to be had.

It was a real kick in the guts for Jonathon, particularly given his good form to date as a defender and his scoring of an emergency berth on Saturday, but he'll just have to pick himself up and get on with it.

48. Caolan Mooney
Spent the whole day in attack, often at full forward and given how many times we targeted him going forward, you can understand just how rooted our forward structure was/has been the past few weeks. Have to say though, for someone who is as strong overhead for a small/medium as Caolan is, he set a new record for the number of dropped marks in a game. Just spilled everything that came his way.

With Karnezis and maybe Orval coming back this week, it will be interesting to see if the coaches elect to swing Caolan back into defence. I'd be interested to see how he goes as a small forward in a much stronger VFL forward setup. We all know he's capable of having a day out on occasion, so with more firepower around him to attract attention, Caolan could become another viable avenue to goal again.

From our VFL boys...

- Ferguson was 2nd BoG, for mine. 3 goals and a truckload of endeavour. Was another factor in our 2nd quarter resurgence. Just love him. Probably won't happen, but his form is/has been worthy of Team of the Year consideration...

- Suckling once again a beast in the middle. Got quite a leg on him, too.

- Hellier fought gallantly all day and to the end, as he always does. Had to shoulder more responsibility in a depleted midfield, which he does without complaint, but does his best work when we have an Adams and/or a Thomas at VFL level.

- Josh Turner (or mini-Lingy) was very good, collecting across half back.

- Allan fought hard all day as a makeshift key target inside forward 50. Managed to return a modest 2 goals. Will benefit heaps from Karnezis returning hopefully this week.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks for the review MagpieBat Smile

To me it sounds like only Kennedy is the only realistic option from the VFL who could push for senior selection this week. He deserves a chance!

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Thanks for the review MB.

Injuries haven't helped but our development is worrying. In particular Geelong and Box Hill allow their young recruits to build a couple of seasons of form before regular senior experience. Our guys seem to be exposed too soon and aren't quiet ready for senior footy.

I'm also concerned with the amount of guys moving from attack and midfield to defence. Granted some have worked (Sinclair and Reid), but our structures at AFL and VFL seem to be a bit chaotic. Again injuries have played a major factor.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:56 pm

magpiebat, when we're lacking height in defence it appears that we get yags to play tall too. i think he does well considering he gives away height to his opponents.

with regards to your lovechild, we probably need to do more to protect him. how about we use your anti-lovechild as a constant shield. Rolling Eyes

interesting description of lin jong. Laughing

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:16 pm

John Wren wrote:
magpiebat, when we're lacking height in defence it appears that we get yags to play tall too. i think he does well considering he gives away height to his opponents.

with regards to your lovechild, we probably need to do more to protect him. how about we use your anti-lovechild as a constant shield. Rolling Eyes

interesting description of lin jong. Laughing

On Yagmoor, he has indeed played taller a few times this year, yes. Like you, I actually think he has done remarkably well when forced to play taller this year (particularly when dragged back to the goal square). Again, I do wonder if he has that extra scope for improvement, but I'm certainly not opposed to giving him another year.

Anti-lovechild? Creative description. Personally, I think Kyle was missing having Huddo as an enforcer. Now there's a ruckman who knows how to stand up for himself and his teammates... Smile Sad
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:04 pm

^ huddo is a gem. anti-lovechild is probably not the best description but you get my drift in terms of trying to describe the immense love (or otherwise) you have for ta.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:41 pm

John Wren wrote:
^ huddo is a gem. anti-lovechild is probably not the best description but you get my drift in terms of trying to describe the immense love (or otherwise) you have for ta.

No worries.

As with most things, I'm happy to be proven wrong...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: