Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scotty from marketing says there was no slavery in Australia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:38 am
Post subject: Scotty from marketing says there was no slavery in AustraliaReply with quote

Should this be under jokes, jokes and more jokes?

Goodness me

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/it-s-just-denial-bruce-pascoe-labor-condemn-pm-s-no-slavery-in-australia-claim-20200611-p551jo.html

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/scott-morrison-claims-no-slavery-in-australia-sparking-backlash/news-story/c71ef8e6173d82c831d7f826bf8e82a6

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jun/11/was-there-slavery-in-australia-yes-it-shouldnt-even-be-up-for-debate

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he insane?

Is he incredibly, unbelievably ignorant?

Or is he just a very stupid, ridiculous liar to tell a porkie so blatant that anyone with the ability to type "blackbirding" into a search engine can find 60,000 proofs?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:01 pm

And now that the dishonest barstard has been caught telling a whopper, he is trying to pretend that he didn't say it so as not to have to admit being so hopelessly ignorant. Or dishonest. Or both.

Now Scotty from Marketing meant to only talk about New South Wales. Yer right. What part of "there was no slavery in Australia" were you having trouble with, Scummo?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Tannin wrote:
And now that the dishonest barstard has been caught telling a whopper, he is trying to pretend that he didn't say it so as not to have to admit being so hopelessly ignorant. Or dishonest. Or both.

Now Scotty from Marketing meant to only talk about New South Wales. Yer right. What part of "there was no slavery in Australia" were you having trouble with, Scummo?

Yes and Dutton makes reference to tearing pages of our history books rather than saying they weren't friggin' included in the first place. He really is a special type of turd or Peter Dutton.

It's really well worth reading Professor Henry Reynolds on

"Why weren't we told"

https://www.penguin.com.au/books/why-werent-we-told-9780140278422
and

"Aboriginal Sovereignty"

https://theconversation.com/henry-reynolds-australia-was-founded-on-a-hypocrisy-that-haunts-us-to-this-day-101679

for a decent view of our history not taught in our day at school.

No slavery indeed FFS Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:36 pm

An indigenous girlfriend posted this link, a lot of articles here.

https://www.facebook.com/RosieWaterlandOnline/
Wonka 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:07 pm

It's true. Once you've shot the natives dead they don't make good slaves.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:31 pm

There's slavery here now, doesn't mean it's institutional. Any fool knew what he meant but can't let the truth get in the way of a good dose of outrage.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Well, according to news.com.au (in wpt’s link) what he said was “there was no slavery in Australia”. The meaning conveyed by those words is quite straightforward.

Morrison subsequently issued a pseudo-apology and clarification of sorts. Personally, I think that digs a deeper hole than saying “I’m sorry - I overstated my rhetorical position in the heat of the moment”.

What he has done just leaves the question whether he was expressing his real view then or now. That’s not a game worth participating in. Either way, his comment was/is fairly silly politics.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, according to news.com.au (in wpt’s link) what he said was “there was no slavery in Australia”. The meaning conveyed by those words is quite straightforward.

Morrison subsequently issued a pseudo-apology and clarification of sorts. Personally, I think that digs a deeper hole than saying “I’m sorry - I overstated my rhetorical position in the heat of the moment”.

What he has done just leaves the question whether he was expressing his real view then or now. That’s not a game worth participating in. Either way, his comment was/is fairly silly politics.

Agreed. Not really the hill he should be choosing to die on right now. So many politicians these days lack conviction, the lack of media polish can be forgiven but the weak vacillating is a terrible look.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:22 pm

Wokko wrote:
Any fool knew what he meant but can't let the truth get in the way of a good dose of outrage.

Rubbish.

There was no truth there to start with. None whatever.

Australia took more than 60,000 slaves from the Pacific Islands It was called "blackbirding" and it went on for four decades. Look it up.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Nowdays they call it Pacific Islands Labour scheme.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-11/pacific-island-scheme-wages-deducted-high-rent-inverell/12336278

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:19 pm

It's not slavery, sure it's exploitative labour but it's not like 19th century Australia was a working man's paradise. I mean, it's the same system that impressed white men into Naval service to die at sea.

Australia had no systematic slavery. The far bigger issue with Pacific Island labourers was deporting them all because they largely wanted to stay. Many of those brought here came back multiple times by choice even when at first they didn't know what was going on.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Quote:
What was 'blackbirding'?
While there is evidence that some of the 62,000 people sent to Australia came willingly, and signed contracts to work on the plantations, many others were lured or taken forcibly onto the boats.

This practice is what's known as blackbirding.

Quote:
While some of those contracted may not have understood what they were signing up for the first time they came to Australia, many returned multiple times by choice.

Quote:
Was it slavery?
Well, the fact that the men were paid makes it difficult to classify them as slaves
but it's worth noting the wages paid were well below what European workers earned.

First-year workers received a standard pay rate of six pounds per annum, and that rate was fixed for 40 years despite wage inflation elsewhere in Queensland.

Likewise, as the men had signed contracts, they were technically indentured labourers.

"Tricked" into coming here and entering into an exploitative labor arrangement.

Not a hell of a lot of difference.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-17/blackbirding-australias-history-of-kidnapping-pacific-islanders/8860754

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Australia's deep connection to slavery

"...The Prime Minister is right to say that New South Wales was established at a time when there was rising anti-slavery sentiment in Britain. A number of earlier colonists hoped to establish a society free from the conflicts of Europe and the moral failures of enslavement. However, this clearly did not happen. One of the reasons for this is that the British imported a history of racial oppression via legal, administrative, economic and ideological structures...

...It is significant that the Prime Minister says there are "issues" in Australian history and that he is "heavily invested" in them. We all are. Determining how they have shaped Australia today, and what form restitution might take, is the challenge
..."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/australia-s-deep-connection-with-enslavement-20200616-p55355.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: