Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Iraq in ruins

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Flag burning is so passé. This is a political protest:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/egypt-feminist-defecates-on-is-flag-in-the-nude/

You have to google the uncensored image, really, but I'm not linking it for fear of being banned from Nick's forever. If you're not offended by menstrual blood, you might find it quite powerful.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Probably not quite the way to achieve the goal, in that it will probably help to recruit people to IS... But it's hard not to approve her attitude to the snuff-movie makers, and as a perormance art statement it's more apposite than a lot of things that win prizes.

We do need to recognise, though, that some Muslim people find her act in desecrating the words "there is no God but Allah" probably more offensive and inflammatory than they find IS's activities, and it's a good idea to respect people's non-violent sensitivities rather than grossly desecrate them, whatever the provocation.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Sadly and scarily her life is probably in danger now.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Ewwwwww
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:49 am

swoop42 wrote:

It already is. This is the same Egyptian girl who was kidnapped a couple of years ago after posting a nude photo on her blog. She escaped, fled the country and is now living in Sweden on political asylum.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliaa_Magda_Elmahdy

She'll have to watch her back for the rest of her life, but her ongoing activism has already inspired (and will continue to inspire) many women in Muslim countries who are sick of being told by men what to say, where to go, how to dress and who they can sleep with.

Certainly, I can see how this could be inflammatory. If a couple of white American women had done this, it would have been nothing more than the next ISIS recruiting poster. But this is a "**** you" from within; not from the decadent west, but from a woman from the heart of the Islamic world who is showing that she is not intimidated by fundamentalism. That carries infinitely more power.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:02 am

David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

It already is. This is the same Egyptian girl who was kidnapped a couple of years ago after posting a nude photo on her blog. She escaped, fled the country and is now living in Sweden on political asylum.

She'll have to watch her back for the rest of her life, but her ongoing activism has already inspired (and will continue to inspire) many women in Muslim countries who are sick of being told by men what to say, where to go, how to dress and who they can sleep with.

Certainly, I can see how this could be inflammatory. If a couple of white American women had done this, it would have been nothing more than the next ISIS recruiting poster. But this is a "**** you" from within; not from the decadent west, but from a woman of Muslim background who is showing that she is not intimidated by fundamentalism. That carries infinitely more power.

Oh I see.

I was thinking how gutsy (and insane in the current environment) it was for her to do it living in Egypt.

Still gutsy for a muslim woman but hopefully she'll be safe in Sweden.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:24 am

David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Certainly, I can see how this could be inflammatory. If a couple of white American women had done this, it would have been nothing more than the next ISIS recruiting poster. But this is a "**** you" from within; not from the decadent west, but from a woman from the heart of the Islamic world who is showing that she is not intimidated by fundamentalism. That carries infinitely more power.

You think those head cases are intellligent enough to make that distinction ? They'll see it as an example of how disgusting "the west" is, and probably see it as we see their snuff movies. I understand the motive and emotion, but regret the act from any quarter.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Mugwump wrote:
David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

You think those head cases are intellligent enough to make that distinction ? They'll see it as an example of how disgusting "the west" is, and probably see it as we see their snuff movies. I understand the motive and emotion, but regret the act from any quarter.

In a similar vein but not as confronting yet within Iran:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/iranian-woman-boogies-in-viral-clip/

The Mullahs are not amused. God-willing she will be safe

Like that old line about what do men yell out at a Taliban striptease: "Show us your face"

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:38 am

I'm bumping this thread to post about a fascinating podcast that's just come out called "Blowback", which is a very well researched and produced deep dive into the history of the Iraq War and how it came about. PTID, I know this will be right up your alley, but I think anyone else who sometimes – or, for that matter, never – finds themselves wondering WTF that war was all about should check it out.

Here's the introductory episode:

https://omny.fm/shows/blowback/episode-0-the-iraq-war-did-not-take-place-feat-h-1

And episode 1 is here:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3BxUY7mCytGSDEAfwzcVNZ

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm interested to check this out.

Thanks for the link, David.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:17 pm

Would be interested to hear your thoughts, if you do get a chance to give it a listen. I've heard the first two episodes so far and find it quite interesting (the first full episode basically goes through the history of Iraq in the 20th century and the rise of Saddam Hussein to power).

Here's one of the host's comments from the introductory episode on their reasoning for doing the podcast:

Quote:
What is there to say [about the Iraq War]? Everyone basically knows now it was bad, WMD, it wasn’t there, they lied, et cetera, et cetera. But then I started noticing George W Bush hanging out with Michelle Obama and Ellen, and I saw an article including Dick Cheney and John McCain in the #Resistance, and I saw people – liberals, supposed lefties – approving of coups in Venezuela and Bolivia last year.

And then I thought: okay, there is something here; it’s worth retelling the story of the Iraq War. Because what’s really happened, what explains all that, is that we, Americans, have shoved the Iraq War – this century-defining war crime – down the memory hole.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Episode 2 deals with the lead-up to the first Gulf War and Bill Clinton’s murderous sanctions regime, which is thought to have killed 500,000 children alone:

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/episode-2-american-psycho/id1502178774?i=1000479010393

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17   

Jump to: