Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Iraq in ruins

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David a serious question if I may because I'm sure many if not all would like to know how is Lola going with the Pregnancy?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Appreciate the question, 1061, but not really sure this is the thread for it!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:12 pm

David wrote:
I don't think I've ever been so happy to hear about an American bombing campaign:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/08/us-iraq-air-strikes-isis-irbil

Where is the like button!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:19 pm

David wrote:
Appreciate the question, 1061, but not really sure this is the thread for it!

True true I thought for some reason we were in another thread, this is what happens when one does a 15 hour shift!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:09 pm

It seems that the success template for Western military projects is being painfully established through trial and error. It seems to be something like (i) get involved only against the vilest of genocidal enemies, or those who directly threaten us ; (ii) use air power only, never occupation ; (iii) act only against an enemy that has local opposition and which can be isolated from the air ; and (iv) where the situation is so bad and chaotic that the risk of creating chaos is the lesser of two evils.

If you cannot thereby alter the outcome, then all that can be done, it seems, is to house, feed and medicate the refugees.

It worked in Serbia and Libya and the early stage of Afghanistan. A variant on it worked in Tony Blair's magnificent intervention in Sierra Leone in 2000, which saved many lives. If Isis is sufficiently large and organised, it is worth trying here.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:30 pm

^You're confusing a tired public, fewer nut job neocons holding sway in Western governments, budget deficit obsession, and more powerful geopolitical opposition with something resembling an intelligent process.

Diligent, sane intervention is the extremely uncommon situation you get when none of the usual whackos and grabbers can get a hold of the process. If your assessment of the situation is correct, expect it to last two minutes before it is miraculously "unlearned" again.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:34 pm

Tannin wrote:
So - pay attention here, I don't do it often - I am supporting the present US actions.

Just wanted to quote that.

Credit to you for being able to do that.

Now a general comment.

The allied forces left before they should have for a number of reasons, 1 of them was the people wanting the "invading" troops out. We can argue about whether they should have been there in the first place, but once they went in that point becomes moot. They had a responsibility to leave the country in a position to self govern and self defend. They squibbed that.

So hopefully this time, it's (a real lot) shorter and after this Isis mob gets SFU the people there can catch a break.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:46 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^You're confusing a tired public, fewer nut job neocons holding sway in Western governments, budget deficit obsession, and more powerful geopolitical opposition with something resembling an intelligent process.

Diligent, sane intervention is the extremely uncommon situation you get when none of the usual whackos and grabbers can get a hold of the process. If your assessment of the situation is correct, expect it to last two minutes before it is miraculously "unlearned" again.

^ yes, probably right. The other factor in it being unlearned is that those on the receiving end will change their tactics to make sure that points (i)-(iv) do not apply - hiding amid civilian populations, etc. In the short term, evil is very inventive. In the long term, though, it's pretty unstable, and sometimes it just needs to be left to burn itself out and normalise, consuming the lives of innocents as it does. We are very lucky to live where we do.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
So - pay attention here, I don't do it often - I am supporting the present US actions.

Just wanted to quote that.

Credit to you for being able to do that.

Now a general comment.

The allied forces left before they should have for a number of reasons, 1 of them was the people wanting the "invading" troops out. We can argue about whether they should have been there in the first place, but once they went in that point becomes moot. They had a responsibility to leave the country in a position to self govern and self defend. They squibbed that.

So hopefully this time, it's (a real lot) shorter and after this Isis mob gets SFU the people there can catch a break.

They left too late and burned any goodwill those in Iraq had for them. The transition was massively mishandled and did more to create enemies than bring stability. Staying any longer would have achieved nothing. The original plan was a quick handover to Iraqi governance. That was the only chance of any real success, as soon as they became occupiers the war for hearts and minds was lost.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Did they deserve it?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:24 pm

So, potentially saving what 2,000, 3,000 lives isn't enough for the US to get there hands dirty and do the honourable thing and put troops on the ground to ensure these peoples safety?

Not good enough Obama.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-14/us-troops-land-on-iraqs-besieged-mt-sinjar/5669586

P.S-What quirk of genetics lead to this group of people producing some children that have a more distinctive western look than what you'd normally associate with people of the middle east?

Lot's of traveling christian missionaries? Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 pm

swoop42 wrote:
So, potentially saving what 2,000, 3,000 lives isn't enough for the US to get there hands dirty and do the honourable thing and put troops on the ground to ensure these peoples safety?

Not good enough Obama.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-14/us-troops-land-on-iraqs-besieged-mt-sinjar/5669586

P.S-What quirk of genetics lead to this group of people producing some children that have a more distinctive western look than what you'd normally associate with people of the middle east?

Lot's of traveling christian missionaries? Wink

Essentially, they are Caucasians not Arabs yet they are all decedents of the Moustachistan race.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Normally when you find pockets of white European looking folk somewhere to the east of the Bosphorus and South of Russia you can blame Alexander the Great. Not sure on this one, but often a fair bet.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:44 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Not good enough Obama.

Every time the US does put troops on the ground in another country they get hammered for it and called invaders. When they leave they get criticised for not doing enough while they were there.

Does the term "damned if you do, damned if you don't" sound familiar?

In this case, they are already IMO doing overs to help out. They have no skin in this game and aren't the world police.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 am

Wokko wrote:
Normally when you find pockets of white European looking folk somewhere to the east of the Bosphorus and South of Russia you can blame Alexander the Great. Not sure on this one, but often a fair bet.

I was wrong. Arabs in the main are caucasian too. However the most astonishing variation of appearance that I've seen was in Turkey. All sorts of features. Turkey is a cast country with a diverse ethnic mix. Shame it's leader is an Islamic fundamentalist wearing a suit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17   

Jump to: