Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Iraq in ruins

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

And round and round we go........ Muslims, Christians, Jews, Blacks, Whites Coloureds, etc etc

Intolerance is the real problem - it fuels hatred and our politicians and media fuel such hatred and intolerance against religions, against minorities such as gays and to me it seems we are all too ready to accept this if it fits " our ideas and beliefs" of how things should be.

And Western nations who peddle arms hold no moral ground in my view - we tsk tsk tsk but still happily sell the weapons that cause the destruction to anyone who can pay - extremist or not!

TBH I am more concerned about what is happening to young girls in Nigeria at the hands of extremists Evil or Very Mad

What a fcked world no wonder I prefer animals to humans they behave in a more decent fashion!!!

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Reality check.
It is less than 20 years ago and in the heart of Europe that 8,500 Muslim men (well mostly men, but children and women too), were rounded up and systematically killed in Srebrenica. Killed because they were Bosnian muslims. Try explaining to those widows that it's their religion that is the violent one.
By the way there are two (not one) essentially violent colonizing religions. They are Islam & Christianity. Ask the Aztecs, Incas, Caribs, Cherokees, Maoris, Aboriginals, Zulus, Congolese etc what violent colonisation and forced conversion is about.
You can do the same for areas Islam spread to by a similar violent method.
Both are culpable of swamping the world, carving up empires, killing & enslaving millions and wiping out scores of indigenous cultures. Guilty.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:49 pm

True. But laying all this at the feet of religion leaves out a bigger picture: many times, religion has just been the pretense for greed, colonial expansion and enslavement. It's been an extremely useful tool, no doubt, but the story extends much further. That is why concluding that the current events in Iraq are just "Muslims killing Muslims as usual" is so simplistic. There is a much, much broader geopolitical context.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Pa Marmo wrote:
I'm tipping that growing up in and around the western suburbs of Melbourne, has taught me more about Islam than anything you've read. Having lived among, worked with and encountered many Muslims over my 47 years, coupled with hours of reading, and using my own eyes, I reckon I have a pretty fair idea of who and what Islam is.

Don't confuse my hatred of Islam with a hatred of the people who follow it, I don't hate any person, but I certainly do hate their behaviors and some of their beliefs. That hatred isn't just for Islam, it is also for false or fake Christianity or any other religion or way of life that does these terrible things.

And age is supposed to make one wiser. Go figure Rolling Eyes

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:21 pm

David wrote:
True. But laying all this at the feet of religion leaves out a bigger picture: many times, religion has just been the pretense for greed, colonial expansion and enslavement. It's been an extremely useful tool, no doubt, but the story extends much further. That is why concluding that the current events in Iraq are just "Muslims killing Muslims as usual" is so simplistic. There is a much, much broader geopolitical context.

Point well made.
"for god, glory and gold" - the rallying cry of the Christian Conquistadors still stands.
Just insert;
your own god (Christ or Allah)
your own glory (conquest, revenge, expansion, self determination)
and you own gold (land, oil, water, arable land, minerals)
and the story is always the same.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:00 am

sixpoints wrote:
David wrote:

Point well made.
"for god, glory and gold" - the rallying cry of the Christian Conquistadors still stands.
Just insert;
your own god (Christ or Allah)
your own glory (conquest, revenge, expansion, self determination)
and you own gold (land, oil, water, arable land, minerals)
and the story is always the same.

Good post - the blessed trinity of destruction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:04 am

David wrote:
No, I actually believe very strongly in not judging other people. Note that at no point in my previous point did I blame you for your (rather shocking) views. I was actually making a point about the general human difficulty in empathising with others from a distance and our natural tendency to dehumanise foreigners.

You seem extremely confused and this may explain a lot about your station in life atm.

I wouldn't be confusing Judgment with Blame.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 am

I'm using the second definition here as opposed to the first:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/judgmental

To be clear, I was criticising your views, not how they reflect on your righteousness or moral worth as a human being. That is what most people are referring to when they talk about being judgemental.

Not quite sure what you mean by my current "station in life".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:20 am

David wrote:

Nevermind mate this is not about me and you it's about Iraq.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Morrigu wrote:
*sigh*

And round and round we go......

Intolerance is the real problem

What a fcked thread no wonder I prefer animals to humans they behave in a more decent fashion!!!

Whilst I agree with Morrigu's whole post, these bits really describe the Tavern at the moment. It used to be a great place to come for a chat, a 'discussion' even loud ones. Now everything seems to dissolve into a shit fight of name calling. Even the happy thread!

It's a real shame.

Cheers

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:46 pm

David wrote:
I'm using the second definition here as opposed to the first:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/judgmental

To be clear, I was criticising your views, not how they reflect on your righteousness or moral worth as a human being. That is what most people are referring to when they talk about being judgemental.

One day your going to get angry or upset, I hope I'm there to see it. Smile

Even if it's at me.

We disagree on quite a lot of things (ok, most!) but one thing I have to admire about you always, is your amazing ability to do the ducks back thing! You don't always have to, it's quite ok to say, that's not acceptable. Or as the nanny says 'aseptble'. Your parents did a heck of a job raising you to be so, I don't know the word for it, and I'm too busy to google! Laid back? Anyhow, cheers David. Looking forward to actually meeting you one day! (Please don't slug me!)

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:51 pm

think positive wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
*sigh*

And round and round we go......

Intolerance is the real problem

What a fcked thread no wonder I prefer animals to humans they behave in a more decent fashion!!!

Whilst I agree with Morrigu's whole post, these bits really describe the Tavern at the moment. It used to be a great place to come for a chat, a 'discussion' even loud ones. Now everything seems to dissolve into a shit fight of name calling. Even the happy thread!

It's a real shame.

Cheers

Blame that extremist idiot in power who has upped the stakes to destructive American levels.

Howard unleashed the first impassable barrier by kicking asylum seekers in the face for political benefit (unacceptable to any empathetic, moral person), and vocally supporting the absolute immoral violence of the Iraq War (again, unacceptable to any empathetic, moral person).

Abbott has continued the rot in opposition and power, now turning the screws on the vulnerable in a completely fraudulent program of socio-economic damage that is once again unacceptable to any empathetic, moral person. Even worse, it is unacceptable to any empathetic, moral person who understands even basic economics and values science and human progress.

In that aggressive, threatening and polarising environment, the bad faith line has been drawn and the stakes are too high for people to negotiate in good faith. People are suffering, anxious and angry, and Abbott and his filthy sidekicks will thrive on that until there is a committed, moderate opposition that takes them out at the polls.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Lol, thanks (although I'm not sure this is the best thread to be pointing that out given I lost my shit at PM a few pages back). Embarassed It's not that I don't get stung by these insults, it's just that I don't think getting into a fight achieves anything. On the last part, likewise! Perhaps as soon as the Hawthorn match, if you're going. Smile

Anyway, one thing I can agree with 1061 on is that we should get this thread back on topic. Sorry for playing my part in derailing it, all.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:55 pm

David wrote:
Lol, thanks (although I'm not sure this is the best thread to be pointing that out given I lost my shit at PM a few pages back). Embarassed It's not that I don't get stung by these insults, it's just that I don't think getting into a fight achieves anything. On the last part, likewise! Perhaps as soon as the Hawthorn match, if you're going. Smile

Anyway, one thing I can agree with 1061 on is that we should get this thread back on topic. Sorry for playing my part in derailing it, all.

Cool at the broken leg bar or what ever it's called (hey I'm a pom what do I know about cricket?) at half time?

As for derailing it, gees show me a thread that wasn't derailed, this is a regular Indian railway yard!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:31 pm

^

It's called the square leg bar you pillock. Razz (You can tell Poms know nothing about cricket by the way they play)

Ponsford stand, level 1, right behind M30.

If the bastard is open. lat two G games I've been to they obviously weren't expecting a big crowd so it was shut. Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17   

Jump to: