Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Iraq in ruins

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we starting to see now why Hussein was such a feared evil bastard?

He had to remain the king of the jungle otherwise a pack of opportunistic hyenas would have eaten him alive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:44 am

Take Lisa Simpson's advice, just don't look!

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/54613/just_don_t_look/
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:49 am

David wrote:
No, they didn't create ISIS (or ISIL, or IS, or whoever they are this week). They and their allies directly created the conditions that have allowed these fundamentalists to sweep in and effortlessly take over most of Iraq.

You can indirectly blame the US or Europe or even us indirectly for all manner of problems in the world, but you'll struggle to find a more clear-cut case than this one. Iraq under Saddam Hussein, for all its horrors, was a stable nation state with a functional defence force. The 'Coalition of the Willing' completely destroyed that status quo by deciding to invade the country, by the way they carried out the occupation (the decision to disband the entire Iraqi armed forces has to go down as one of the stupidest foreign policy decisions of the last century) and the way in which they withdrew. They essentially made Iraq a sitting duck.

And Syria?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:39 am

Nope, I don't think you can really blame the West for Syria (though, as with most Middle Eastern dictatorships, I'm sure you'll find American/European fingerprints if you look back far enough). My point is that if it hadn't been for the weakening of Iraq, Assad and IS would still be locked in a stalemate in Syria and, as horrible as that conflict has been, that would be that. As it is, IS now essentially have a country to themselves to use as a platform for consolidation, expansion and preparation for future attacks. Ironically, Iraq can now become what the US (incorrectly) said it was over a decade ago: a terrorist state. That's a catastrophe in anyone's book.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 pm

David wrote:
No, they didn't create ISIS (or ISIL, or IS, or whoever they are this week). They and their allies directly created the conditions that have allowed these fundamentalists to sweep in and effortlessly take over most of Iraq.

You can indirectly blame the US or Europe or even us indirectly for all manner of problems in the world...

Indeed, one can, and many do. The interesting question is why one would want to. History is obviously unlike science, and thus overlapping and competing narratives (each with their own evidence base) are possible. Which you choose is largely a matter of your motives and your perception of consequence.

It is a mystery to me, then, why so many people seem to choose, among the competing narratives, the one that makes the liberal democracies the evil actor in the world. They are, for all their faults, among the most progressive, desirable and humane societies that history has seen. I suspect it is because we children of the Enlightenment equate contrarianism with intelligence, and so the anti-Western narrative appeals to the vanity of the Western would-be intellectual.

The likely consequence of the choice, however, is to enfeeble the moral authority of liberalism as a framework for our society, and embolden and part-justify those who threaten us and wish for religious totalitarianism.

I truly shudder to think what might have happened if Churchill had sat at the Cabinet table in May 1940 and said "well, that Treaty of Versailles was a bit unfair... and there's an argument that we caused the 1914-18 war via Imperialism... the man does have a point...".

I recognise that you are not necessarly doing this David (though maybe you are!), I'm just stepping off your comment.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:10 am

^ On the contrary, I think the world could have been spared millions of deaths if the aftermath of World War 1 had been handled a little less vindictively. Versailles didn't justify Nazism, but it's more than likely that Nazism wouldn't have flourished without it.

Perhaps, as you say, that's a less than helpful observation when Germany's invading Poland and an urgent response is needed. But we need to acknowledge this stuff somehow, because if we don't we just make the same old mistakes again and again.

As for criticising the world's liberal democracies, it's all about power. European colonial powers controlled something like 80-90% of the world's land mass 100 years ago. The US have been the world's dominant superpower for 70 years, and have played a very active role in many conflicts around the world, from Latin America to the Middle East to South East Asia. Acknowledging that dynamic and its often devastating consequences is no mere contrarianism or cultural self-effacement. And I say all this as someone who is just as grateful as you are to live in a liberal democracy.

I think I prefer Scandinavia. You get better liberal democracy and far less destructive overseas intervention.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:14 am

That was before I was born.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:58 am

David wrote:
^ On the contrary, I think the world could have been spared millions of deaths if the aftermath of World War 1 had been handled a little less vindictively. Versailles didn't justify Nazism, but it's more than likely that Nazism wouldn't have flourished without it.

Perhaps, as you say, that's a less than helpful observation when Germany's invading Poland and an urgent response is needed. But we need to acknowledge this stuff somehow, because if we don't we just make the same old mistakes again and again.

As for criticising the world's liberal democracies, it's all about power. European colonial powers controlled something like 80-90% of the world's land mass 100 years ago. The US have been the world's dominant superpower for 70 years, and have played a very active role in many conflicts around the world, from Latin America to the Middle East to South East Asia. Acknowledging that dynamic and its often devastating consequences is no mere contrarianism or cultural self-effacement. And I say all this as someone who is just as grateful as you are to live in a liberal democracy.

I think I prefer Scandinavia. You get better liberal democracy and far less destructive overseas intervention.

If Scandinavia had been the only liberal democracy, it'd be living under Stalin's successors. Someone has to do the enforcing on behalf of freedom. There are lots of groups - fascist, Communist and Islamist - that hate freedom, and someone needs to stand for it under arms. For all their errors, the US and the UK have (too) often been the only ones in the last 100 years that were prepared to pay that price.

I think we should acknowledge that, rather than blame them for the ills of the world when those ills are mostly directly perpetrated by their enemies.

Versailles is an interesting question, but actually another one of narrative. I was in the areas of France which "hosted" the Western Front a week ago. I was reminded that the War, directly initiated by Germany, was fought entirely on foreign soil, cost France 2 million lives and 4 years of devastated production in its industrial heartland, and cost Germany very little domestic damage. Versailles was actually not that punitive to Germany or restorative to France, relative to the damage sustained. In that light, WWII was simply Germany/Prussia choosing to re-fight a war it initiated and lost in 1914-18, because it did not want to accept the cost of its actions. Only when it did, in 1945, did it prosper. It has been fashionable to blame the democracies for Versailles and thefore for WW2 for a long time - but the democratic narrative seems to me more true, valid and constructive.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:37 am

^ Perhaps I'm exposing my shaky knowledge of WW1 history, but wasn't the war started by Austria-Hungary invading Serbia? Germany just jumped along for the ride along with most other colonial powers, I thought. Don't forget that, while Germany was trying to take Eastern France, Australians (under the command of the UK) were off trying to conquer Turkish beaches. Good luck finding a moral anchor in the Great War.

You're right that the US has had some fearsome enemies to fight against, but I think you accept too much of a black-and-white narrative here: American expansionism was every bit as much a facet of the Cold War as the Soviet variety was. America was fighting for America's military and economic interests first and foremost, not some grand principle of freedom (as much as the propaganda of the time would have had us believe otherwise). I'm not sure I see any grand commitment to freedom in the USA's installation of Pinochet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_and_South_and_Central_America

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:53 am

David wrote:
^ Perhaps I'm exposing my shaky knowledge of WW1 history, but wasn't the war started by Austria-Hungary invading Serbia? Germany just jumped along for the ride along with most other colonial powers, I thought. Don't forget that, while Germany was trying to take Eastern France, Australians (under the command of the UK) were off trying to conquer Turkish beaches. Good luck finding a moral anchor in the Great War.

You're right that the US has had some fearsome enemies to fight against, but I think you accept too much of a black-and-white narrative here: American expansionism was every bit as much a facet of the Cold War as the Soviet variety was. America was fighting for America's military and economic interests first and foremost, not some grand principle of freedom (as much as the propaganda of the time would have had us believe otherwise). I'm not sure I see any grand commitment to freedom in the USA's installation of Pinochet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_and_South_and_Central_America

Oh, there is much to criticise the US for - Pinochet, Cambodia, arguably El Salvador, and almost the the entire GW Bush era. The distinction is between strategy and tactics. Strategically, the interests of the US for over 100 years have been the interests of liberal democracy. And that's what matters. Tactically, the US will make blunders and misjudgements and occasionally act downright badly, because all political systems with threatened interests do that. The problem is when those tactical reverses are cited to implicitly equate the democratic powers with those who have no humanitarian or progressive aims, and even impute most of the world's ills to the democracies. I think that's bizarre.

On WW1, the Franz Ferdinand and Austria-Serbia business was only the spark. The link below is the BBC history programme on the origins of WW1. I think most would accept that it's fairly authoritative and neutral. About 27-36 minutes in, it addresses the role germany played. In short, Germany backed Austria in a discretionary war of aggression, declared war on France, then invaded France and (neutral) Belgium and fought it on their territory. I don't think that's really in dispute. Versailles may have been a mistake - but there are other quite valid ways to look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY3Sb8xiQ_c

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Right, now those ISIS sods have gone too far.

Quote:
SONY’S PlayStation Network was taken down this morning by a series of DDoS attacks, which a group of ISIS hackers is taking credit for.

Known as the Lizard Squad, the IS-associated group has taken to Twitter to claim credit for the network’s downing. Attempts to hack gaming networks aren’t new, but this is the first time that it appears attacks have occurred due to political or religious reasons.

The DDoS attack, or denial-of-service attack, involves a group of people overloading a server, - in this case Sony’s - until it can’t handle it anymore and crashes.

Bomb the bastards back to the stone age.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/did-isis-take-down-sonys-playstation-network/story-fnjwnqya-1227035849704

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:09 pm

^ they'll be claiming credit for pushing Humpty Dumpty next.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Apparently we're on the way back in. Confused

Quote:
AUSTRALIA is at the top of a list of allies that the United States will call on within days to join an air war against Islamic militants in Iraq.

A squadron of RAAF Super Hornet strike fighter jets is on standby at its base at Amberley near Brisbane to deploy at short notice to the Middle East.

The SAS may be sent in to help target airstrikes, not to wage a ground war.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/abbott-government-has-isis-dossier-as-barack-obama-builds-iraq-coalition-of-the-willing/story-fni0xs61-1227039129794

Also, as an aside cos I'd rather not resurrect the other thread, ISIS or someone is firing into Israel from Syria around the Golan Heights area. Shit's going to get messier.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:09 am

Is parliament actually going to vote on this, or is Abbott going to make use of his special "war powers"?

Personally, I'm cautiously supportive of an air strike against militants, but I'd hope that America and co. have done their homework here. Precedent would suggest they've done nothing of the sort.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:54 am

Defence is ramping up to go back in even though nothing is official. It's nudge nudge, wink wink. Get ready for a 3rd time to try to fix another *uck up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17   

Jump to: