Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Iraq in ruins

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:

Date 20 March 2003 – 1 May 2003
Location Iraq
Result Coalition victory

Ba'athist Iraqi government overthrown
Occupation of Iraq until June 2004
New Iraqi government established
Iraqi insurgency and sectarian conflicts

This is winning a war, and winning it convincingly. If the USA had just left then and not occupied Iraq there would be no question at all on their military success. The problem lied in them staying and fighting against the insurgency and doing it in an incredibly inept and ham fisted way. The war was never about WMDs, it was an action to remove the regime of Saddam Hussein and install a democratic parliamentary government. This would then lead to other Middle Eastern nations looking to Iraq and overthrowing their own dictatorships.

Of course, it didn't work out that way, but to deny the overwhelming military victory because the USA lead an incompetent occupation is ridiculous. No matter how you spin it, the Coalition met all their military goals, and even post invasion the Iraqi government is still in power so they also defeated both the Sunni and Shia insurgencies. If the current insurgency/invasion succeeds, it is against the Iraqi government.*

WMDs and terrorism NOT the casus belli Iraqi?
WOW, you are a remarkable and magnificent revisionist!!!

from wikipedia ~(link provided)

Coalition expanded intelligence[edit]
On May 30, 2003, Paul Wolfowitz stated in an interview with Vanity Fair magazine that the issue of weapons of mass destruction was the point of greatest agreement among Bush's team among the reasons to remove Saddam Hussein from power. He said, "The truth is that for reasons that have a lot to do with the U.S. government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue that everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction as the core reason, but, there have always been three fundamental concerns. One is weapons of mass destruction, the second is support for terrorism, the third is the criminal treatment of the Iraqi people. Actually I guess you could say there's a fourth overriding one which is the connection between the first two."[85]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#Legal_justification

How is the suppressing of Islamic fundamentalism and militancy in the Middle East going?
Despite many attempts to link the previous government to international terrorism not tangable links to El Qada were found, why?
Because Hussain was doing a terrific job keeping it out of Iraq!

Last edited by 3.14159 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:34 pm

Wokko wrote:
Here's something not being reported in the Western 'press'.

http://rt.com/usa/165612-us-iran-allies-iraq-insurgency/

Looks like Iran already has troops on the ground to aid Iraq and the USA is going to be doing some combined operations.

Only if you don't count the Australian ABC, amongst others as the Western Press then yes you have a point.

But shhhh, it's a conspiracy Wink Razz

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Interestingly, the coalition went into Iraq due to the potential existence of WMD and Saddam's criminal treatment of his own people, oh and those terrorists (which really had nothing to do with Iraq). While in Syria we have a leader who has actually used WMD on his own people and where there most definitely exists a terrorist problem. The former was a flimsy case for war but the coalition did it anyway, the latter a much stronger case, and as yet no action.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:54 am

3.14159 wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Date 20 March 2003 – 1 May 2003
Location Iraq
Result Coalition victory

Ba'athist Iraqi government overthrown
Occupation of Iraq until June 2004
New Iraqi government established
Iraqi insurgency and sectarian conflicts

This is winning a war, and winning it convincingly. If the USA had just left then and not occupied Iraq there would be no question at all on their military success. The problem lied in them staying and fighting against the insurgency and doing it in an incredibly inept and ham fisted way. The war was never about WMDs, it was an action to remove the regime of Saddam Hussein and install a democratic parliamentary government. This would then lead to other Middle Eastern nations looking to Iraq and overthrowing their own dictatorships.

Of course, it didn't work out that way, but to deny the overwhelming military victory because the USA lead an incompetent occupation is ridiculous. No matter how you spin it, the Coalition met all their military goals, and even post invasion the Iraqi government is still in power so they also defeated both the Sunni and Shia insurgencies. If the current insurgency/invasion succeeds, it is against the Iraqi government.*

WMDs and terrorism NOT the casus belli Iraqi?
WOW, you are a remarkable and magnificent revisionist!!!

from wikipedia ~(link provided)

Coalition expanded intelligence[edit]
On May 30, 2003, Paul Wolfowitz stated in an interview with Vanity Fair magazine that the issue of weapons of mass destruction was the point of greatest agreement among Bush's team among the reasons to remove Saddam Hussein from power. He said, "The truth is that for reasons that have a lot to do with the U.S. government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue that everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction as the core reason, but, there have always been three fundamental concerns. One is weapons of mass destruction, the second is support for terrorism, the third is the criminal treatment of the Iraqi people. Actually I guess you could say there's a fourth overriding one which is the connection between the first two."[85]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction#Legal_justification

How is the suppressing of Islamic fundamentalism and militancy in the Middle East going?
Despite many attempts to link the previous government to international terrorism not tangable links to El Qada were found, why?
Because Hussain was doing a terrific job keeping it out of Iraq!

I fully understand the excuses given for invasion, but they were just that, excuses. I also don't think that Polish troops took Gleiwitz station and broadcast anti-German messages, but that was the excuse for Germany to invade.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:59 am

watt price tully wrote:

Only if you don't count the Australian ABC, amongst others as the Western Press then yes you have a point.

But shhhh, it's a conspiracy Wink Razz

Checked every Iraq story on the ABC and didn't find any reference to the Quds forces of Iran and the USA joining up to fight in Iraq. Plenty of stuff about possible US intervention and the insurgents moving on Baghdad though.

I find RT to be much better for international news. News about Russia/Ukraine however tends to have a certain slant to it. Laughing

Didn't mention any conspiracy though, what are you smoking?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:01 am

Thanks for telling me your opinion.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 am

Oh lookie, another let's bash America thread, yippeee Kyyia motherfuka, I'll be back
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Wokko wrote:

I fully understand the excuses given for invasion, but they were just that, excuses. I also don't think that Polish troops took Gleiwitz station and broadcast anti-German messages, but that was the excuse for Germany to invade.

So your likening Operation Iraqi Freedom to Germany's invasion of Poland?*
Wow!

* A 6 year war by "insurgent" Poles (with the aid of proxy allies).
Insurgent because their Governments had fallen and were replaced by "legitimate" invader (like what the US did in Iraq) Shocked
In both cases Germany and the US argued that as "insurgents" they did not come under the remit of the Geneva Convention
The summary execution and/or imprisonment of French and Polish Resistance fighters and what happens Gantano Bay and spring to mind as examples of what happens when Governments use "excuses" as justification for invading a Sovereign country.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:48 pm

Wokko's right though, WMDs weren't the reason for the Iraq war, that was just the expressed pretense.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:29 pm

He also claims the war was won in 2003.

President Obama says 'America's war in Iraq will be over' with decision to pull all troops from Iraq by the end of the year.
Oct 21, 2011 -
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:05 pm

the second "reason" for invading was lraqi Government links to El Qada, there were none, Hussain wouldn't tolerate them and it wasn't till several years after the invasion that an Iraqi chapter was formed.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:05 pm

So what was the actual reason Iraq was invaded in the first place?

(surely not because it has oil?)
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:03 pm

I wouldn't presume to know the exact motivation, but things like WMD and support for terrorism were clearly just trumped up pretenses. The fact is the wolves of America wanted to go to war, it wasn't to find WMD (why would they care, really?), or to prevent terrorism (there were no real links), it was for their own reasons. As I say I won't presume to know what they were but, a show of strength after 9/11, the irrational idea that they could reshape the Middle East to be more friendly to the West, and yes oil, and money more generally, all may have had something to do with it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:12 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I wouldn't presume to know the exact motivation, but things like WMD and support for terrorism were clearly just trumped up pretenses. The fact is the wolves of America wanted to go to war, it wasn't to find WMD (why would they care, really?), or to prevent terrorism (there were no real links), it was for their own reasons. As I say I won't presume to know what they were but, a show of strength after 9/11, the irrational idea that they could reshape the Middle East to be more friendly to the West, and yes oil, and money more generally, all may have had something to do with it.

Good points. It's actually not beyond the realms of possibility that the whole thing was a considered response to the 9-11 bombings in order to raise morale amongst the populace at home. They just needed to find a credible arab target.

Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
FMD, I'm starting to think Nostradamus was right, it's just a matter of when.

I wonder about this too.

Although I think WW1, WW2 and WW3 for Nostradamus are what we call the Franco-Prussian War, WW1 and WW2. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17   

Jump to: