Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Help sending Foxtel to a 2nd room

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:31 pm
Post subject: Help sending Foxtel to a 2nd roomReply with quote

Thought one of you learned folks could help me with this issue.

I live in a house with a fibre optic connection and a hills home hub (located in my garage). My house is smart wired so I have various outlets throughout the home for TV, phone and data.

Both the FTA and Foxtel signals come in through the fibre connection, and are "split" in the HHH in the garage and sent to the various points. The Foxtel plate in my front room has both in and out points. The out point goes straight into the back of the Foxtel IQHD. The in point has apparently been set up to go straight back into the splitter in the HHH in the garage, and therefore can be sent to all other TV points in the house.

My understanding is that all I need to do is use one of these splitters and a second coaxial to run the foxtel signal back into the wall plate.

http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/2-way-foxtel-splitter-f-type-coaxial-splitter.html

I know this means I will only be able to watch the same Foxtel channels on both TVs but that doesn't bother me.

Can someone confirm if this is correct?

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is one of these and some RG6 coaxial cable, two F connectors and a set of F connector crimpers.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:33 am

You can also do it wirelessly. Dick Smith Electronics sell a AV sender for $179. I'm sure you can find others for cheaper elsewhere

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/tv-video-accessories/dick-smith-2-4ghz-digital-wireless-av-sender-dsau-la6040

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:10 am

The Seedsmeister wrote:
You can also do it wirelessly. Dick Smith Electronics sell a AV sender for $179. I'm sure you can find others for cheaper elsewhere

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/tv-video-accessories/dick-smith-2-4ghz-digital-wireless-av-sender-dsau-la6040

this is what i use. for some strange reason it falls over when i use the channel up/down button to quickly flick through the channels.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:52 am

John Wren wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

this is what i use. for some strange reason it falls over when i use the channel up/down button to quickly flick through the channels.

What's the picture quality like?

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:38 am

That would be my question.

Will try the 2 way splitter and see how it goes

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:49 am

Pa Marmo wrote:
John Wren wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

What's the picture quality like?

excellent picture quality. connects to the foxtel box in the lounge room and the tv in the bedroom. you can then change channels from both rooms so whomever controls the remote is king.

of course, it does help if there are less walls and corners that need to be negotiated. currently, the box and tv are about 10-15 metres apart but i have not had any issue with it in a multi-story dwelling.

the one thing you may need to be mindful of is the av send/receive sensor that is placed over the foxtel box where you point the remote. you just need to place it in a way that the latter is not blocked so not to stop you from changing channels o the actual box itself.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:18 am

The Seedsmeister wrote:

I had one it was terrible. I ended up running a 3 way RCA lead into the other room. I purchased the 20metre lead on EBay for $20, hard wired straight into the other room up the wall and through the roof and down the other wall with a wall plate. Perfect, only issue is I can't change channels but that's not an issue for me.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:29 am

Culprit wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

I had one it was terrible. I ended up running a 3 way RCA lead into the other room. I purchased the 20metre lead on EBay for $20, hard wired straight into the other room up the wall and through the roof and down the other wall with a wall plate. Perfect, only issue is I can't change channels but that's not an issue for me.

I use the same system as this too, just a long RCA lead from a bedroom to the lounge room, works well enough, picture quality is a little less on the receiving end and obviously it's all controlled by one remote, but still ge Foxtel on 2 TV's for a very low price.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:42 am

we run a second display in the kitchen via 10m component cable and a component distro board, works really well. I can also stream it over my home network via a HTPC if I need to.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:26 pm

I uses a AV sender that also linked the remote but found that there was a lot of interference from time to time that deteriorated the picture quality on the remote TV,

The IQ box I am using had a connector for a remote TV so I hard wired that to the remote TV with a coax cable. It incorporates a remote control transmitter so that I can change channels. Problem is that the IQ box is only standard definition and the new HD boxes do not have this facility.

I would like to upgrade to HD but I do not want to pay for another set top box and do not want to go back to a AV sender.

The splitter option will not give me the ability to change channels.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:29 pm

John Wren wrote:
The Seedsmeister wrote:

I might try that. I tried a cheaper version from Dick Smith a couple of years ago and it was shite. Took it back. I CBF running a RCA lead, too much stuffing around to hide it.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:35 pm

A second box is $20 or $25 a month extra if you CBF Razz

I don't mind having a second box at my fingertips. Shocked
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Just got a 2 nd box two mths ago, they are chargeing me $10 a month extra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:24 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Just got a 2 nd box two mths ago, they are chargeing me $10 a month extra

How much did they charge you to fit it though?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: