Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2-3 vs top 9 - only 1 game vs top 5

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Forget about 2015 or 2016.

We're in the top 4 now so we must seize the opportunity and go the Flag this year. Smile

Nothing stopping us going for the flag this year RB. Absolutely nothing.

The discussion about 2015/16 is about posters like me predicting when this developing team will hit its peak performance time and capability. Many a team have won flags before their due date so nothing is stopping that from happening again RB. Different issues.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:12 pm

35forever wrote:
I think we'll definitely be in better shape next year, depending on injuries and player movements, however the 2014 Magpies can beat anyone when we're at our best.

The best stuff you have posted in a very long time 35forever. Totally agree with you. At our very best, we are bloody awesome!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

We're in the top 4 now so we must seize the opportunity and go the Flag this year. Smile

The discussion about 2015/16 is about posters like me predicting when this developing team will hit its peak performance time and capability. Many a team have won flags before their due date so nothing is stopping that from happening again RB. Different issues.

I understand your perspective, but I'm always loathe to predict the future. Heaven forbid, Grundy, Pendles and Cloke might all suffer serious injuries next year. Barring the unexpected, I agree that our Premiership window is probably best thought of as being open over the next 2-3 years, but let's not plan for that. We're in the top 4 now and if we finish there at season's end we must go all out to win it this year. Next year is next year.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:28 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I understand your perspective, but I'm always loathe to predict the future. Heaven forbid, Grundy, Pendles and Cloke might all suffer serious injuries next year. Barring the unexpected, I agree that our Premiership window is probably best thought of as being open over the next 2-3 years, but let's not plan for that. We're in the top 4 now and if we finish there at season's end we must go all out to win it this year. Next year is next year.

I get your point RB and cant disagree. I always like striking when the iron is hot so we must never let a chance go by. So obviously I fully support us going for it this year. I fervently hope we go all the way.
However it is just this gut feeling I have that by 2015/16, our list will be top class for experience, talent and timing to be flag favourites. Of course you are dead set right about injuries and the like affecting that prediction.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Lazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I'm not sure we'll be at our peak in that period without topping up. 2015 is definitely still too early for our young rucks, and we saw in 2010 that the right top up at the right time can bring success. Right now and probably for the next two years our rucks may not be mature enough to take us all the way.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Talk of 'going for it' is probably moot as I can't imagine we'd be doing anything less being 4th after 10 and with many of our best to return! Especially so given that we were 8th after 10 games last year and never got higher than 6th except a single week at 5th after beating Sydney late in the season which scared the bejayzuz out of the Magpie-hating media (except Ed & Kingy of course).

Oh yes indeed we'll be going for the chockys in 2014, but our chances of tasting said confections will hinge on our performances against Hawthorn & Port, our 'bogey' sides of last year, however I'm more bullish about beating Hawthorn than I have been in quite a while, though I wouldn't mind seeing Port falter a couple of times before we face them!
Our chances only improve if our two highest draft picks heal in time to get a few games into them before the finals. Of course Collingwood's decidedly inaccurate forecasting of such things makes me doubt we'll see the hallowed no. 35 this season, although Freeman is a good chance to have a run in the magoos soon, and his brief debut in the NAB cup was pretty flash, he;s mighty quick, and seemed to handle himself very well. If either match Langdon for skill and smarts we'll be sitting very nicely indeed come finals time,

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:24 pm

Regardless of the final result today E was spot on with his observation in his OP.

We have been playing poorly for a month or more now (the rot started in the final quarter against the scum) and if it wasn't for a soft period of the draw for us we would be sitting closer to eighth.

Win today and we'll be in the top 4 but in reality our only meaningful victory has come against the kangaroos for mine (Sydney weren't in the form they are now) and they themselves are a Jekyll and Hyde team.

The hawks next week are the most vulnerable they've been for years with a number of key best 22 members missing (we have a few of our own as well) so it will be our best chance to beat them since 2011 and for top 4 credibility we simply have to.

Can't beat them next week and I can't see us beating them any other time in 2014 but it's hard to see it on today's effort I'm afraid.

hermie Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 pm

geelong and freo finished in the top 5 last year carlton went further in the finals and essendon should have been there so we have played a lot of top 8 teams already
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:40 pm

hermie wrote:
geelong and freo finished in the top 5 last year carlton went further in the finals and essendon should have been there so we have played a lot of top 8 teams already

wrong year dude. Richmond also won the 1980 grand final, but that doesn't count for shit this year!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: