Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2-3 vs top 9 - only 1 game vs top 5

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It is what it is. Laughing
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:26 pm

Lazza wrote:
Wokko wrote:
This is like the 'haven't beaten anyone above us on the ladder' that I kept hearing a few years ago when we're sitting in the top 4. Some people just want to have a moan.

No I disagree and your accusation is grossly unfair and harsh. I don’t want to "have a moan" dude. I just want to rationally discuss an opinion that this team needs a bit more time to develop into a Premiership team. Agree or disagree but don’t label it as moaning, I would have thought that it is a perfectly normal footy issue to discuss on a footy opinion board..... Rolling Eyes

Overly defensive or what... I think it was actually a shot across the bows of the OP... you can resume your seat now big fella.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:29 pm

So we are suggesting an ANZAC game against Essendon at the G is not as hard a game as playing Gold coast because of their respective position on the ladder?
Not saying Gold coast will be an easy game up there - history says its not but surely the intensity and pressure of Anzac day has to be some sort of a form guide ?
Not to mention the players we have had unavailable throughout the season and Im not talking the quantity but the position they play. Weve had more than half of our best backline from last year missing in games.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:43 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It is what it is. Laughing

Is it what is it? Wink

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:48 pm

Lazza wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:
So I gather you think we are in a development year then Lazza? Teams are always developing albeit some have less players at their 'peak'... however I would think that with...

Swan, Pendles, Beams, Herry, Ball, Sidey in the middle

Tooves, Williams, Maxy down back... with Goldy and Young as back up's

Cloke, White, Blair, Reid, Elliot, Faz up forward

We have enough experienced players (17 on my list) to aid the young guys as they get better each week to challenge come finals time.

You make a very fair point YY. My take is that in a few areas like with the ruck, we need more experience to win a flag. We also need to settle our defence against the very top sides, and learn to play more consistent footy.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I reckon it is totally and utterly beyond them to win it this year. In fact just like every Collingwood supporter, I fervently hope they do. It is that I reckon in another year or two with more games under the belts of the 12 or so younger members of this team, we will be FAR better placed to seriously challenge for the flag.

You are most likely correct Lazza - I think we will be better placed next year also ... with Ball and Maxy most likely gone though... perhaps at the start but certainly I believe by the end of the year!

Of course with so many (quality) youngsters and only a few older players we are serious contenders for the next couple of years! Swan and Ablett could be the two old champs leading their young teams for a GF play-off in 2016!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:19 pm

The op is correct. We have only beaten one top 4 team......but we haven't been beaten by a single top 4 team yet either. Very Happy
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:24 pm

By "we" do you mean you and me?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Lazza wrote:
Wokko wrote:
This is like the 'haven't beaten anyone above us on the ladder' that I kept hearing a few years ago when we're sitting in the top 4. Some people just want to have a moan.

No I disagree and your accusation is grossly unfair and harsh. I don’t want to "have a moan" dude. I just want to rationally discuss an opinion that this team needs a bit more time to develop into a Premiership team. Agree or disagree but don’t label it as moaning, I would have thought that it is a perfectly normal footy issue to discuss on a footy opinion board..... Rolling Eyes

Was referring to the OP or I would've quoted you Lazza. My point is all this who we have and haven't beaten stuff has been done to death and it's usually rubbish. We've beaten 3rd and 8th and lost to 6th and 7th. The whole point of the regular season is to determine your finals seeding. If we finish 4th or above then who cares who we beat during the regular season to get there. It's what happens after that point that's important.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The op is correct. We have only beaten one top 4 team......but we haven't been beaten by a single top 4 team yet either. Very Happy

Nice.. Cool

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:58 am

Let's compare us to Hawthorn, a team that many still consider to be premiership favourites (or at least equal with Port and Sydney).

Top 4: 0-2
5-8: 2-1
9-12: 1-0
13-18: 4-0

Under E's standards, you could hardly say they've done any better than us. As Rudeboy points out, our record against top 4 teams is way better! And our record against the top 8 (or 9, or 10, or actually any grouping you like) is still superior. So, yeah, nothing to see here.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:24 am

RudeBoy wrote:

to be clear guys, the point of the OP, since I wrote it, was to point out that since we've only played 1 top 5 side this year, maybe our draw wasn't as diabolical as we all thought at the start of the year (OR HAVE YOU ALL FORGOTTEN THAT WE ACTUALLY HAD SOME THREADS FEARING WE'D BE 0-7).

A secondary point of the thread is that perhaps we haven't yet proven ourselves to be a force vs all-comers so talks of a flag also premature, but it was hardly the entire point of the thread and it hardly warranted some of the bullshit responses I am reading that I am somehow being a knocker!

I was trying to show I guess that in the swings and roundabouts of emotions that goes on inside this Site, somewhere in the middle is usually where we are at any particular time.

I call that place E.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:25 pm

I think we'll definitely be in better shape next year, depending on injuries and player movements, however the 2014 Magpies can beat anyone when we're at our best.
I wasn't terribly thrilled about our start to the season even though we managed to get ourselves into the 4. We just didn't seem to be hard enough, leaked goals on some occasions, and couldn't buy goals on others. The last fortnight on the other hand has been remarkable, we've played 4 quarters for the first time in those 2 games, and have shown an ability to find another gear. The last quarter against the Saints was particularly pleasing. And this with the triple disadvantage of injuries, umpiring, and the draw. We've also seen big improvement from several blokes in the last two or three, particularly Blair, Goldy, Dasher, Maxy and even big 'battler' Witts. Langdon has been a revelation & seems to be getting better as the months go by, and Billy Elliot has added consistency to his formidable talent, as have Fas & Marley since their returns. Keefey, & 'Jack' have been very solid in defense. Just in the last week we've seen Trav kick himself into form & Josh Thomas make himself mighty hard to drop. On top of that we've seen several guys in the magoos getting our attention, especially Martin, Kennedy, Adams & Karnezis. Unfortunately it will be nearly impossible to cover the loss of Sidey who has been in scintillating form of late, especially against hawthorn, unless the match committee has the foresight to give someone like Kyle Martin a run, or Freeman becomes available.

There can be no doubt Collingwood once again got screwed in the draw, and I can prove it (as well as the umpiring bias) mathematically. After Round 8 I sat down and looked at the draw in light of last years ladder. Only Hawthorn played as many top 4 sides as us, and only Geelong played as many top 8 sides. That's right, the sides which finished 1 & 2 after the H&A had better draws than us. It is well known & documented that the start of the season is the most important part of the draw, followed by who a side plays in the last two or three, and who a side plays twice, and that the 8 tends not to change much after about 10 rounds.
To be sure this was correct I devised a simple, but more thorough system. I gave last years top 8 sides points to figure out how hard their draw was this year. I gave 1 point if the side played Hawthorn, 2 for Geelong, and so on down to 17 for Melbourne & 18 for GWS, so a higher number meant an easier draw & a lower number meant a harder draw.
After 5 rounds this year Collingwood had just 24 points, next hardest done by was Freo with 34, then Hawthorn with 40, Geelong 43, Sydney 47, Carlton 53, Richmond 55, and Port with a luxurious 58.
After 8 rounds we were still last with just 52, followed by Geelong's 57, then Freo & Hawthorn with 64 & 65, Richmond 76, Sydney 77, Port 78, and finally, the AFL's darlings Carlton with a massive 85.

The only real anomalies in this list, which mostly reads like the 2013 ladder , especially after 5 rounds, is clearly us, easily last on both counts. Did we actually win the 2013 flag and just forgot??? The draw would suggest we did! And this doesn’t take into account things like 'bogey' sides, or 'blockbusters' like Anzac.

So yeah, there was some justification in thinking we might be about 4-6 by this time, so 7-3 and in the top 4 is an extremely good spot to be given some of our decidedly patchy games, long injury list, and demonstrably unfair draw. The best part is that our best two games have been our last two. Maybe the Adelaide fiasco was just what was needed to sting us into producing our best? (mind you we generally fare poorly after a bye, having won only two since 2010, and those by a total of about 8 points!) As long as we win the next two (no certainty given that Melbourne damn near beat Port on the weekend), we'd go into the Hawthorn match in very good shape, particularly if Hawthorn continue to underwhelm, and their injury list stays nice & long!

I believe we are a genuine threat for this years flag, but we would certainly need things to go our way injury wise. I don't believe Port are as good as many think, despite their wins against a depleted Hawthorn & an overrated Geelong, they have had the cruisiest draw in history getting Carlton (but only in the last quarter), Adelaide, who they've had the wood on, Brizzo (what can one say!?), West Coast (even Carlton whupped them!), and Melbourne (just!). And they have StKilda and the Doggies coming up! The only hard game ahead for them is Sydney at home, which will tell us a lot.
but after that it’s the likes of Adelaide, Richmond, Essendon, all middling teams. If we'd had their draw we'd probably be on top too.

So yeah, we're right up there for 2014, but we'll be better in '15 & 16!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:35 pm

^^^^^Nice to have you on board and enjoying your footy again 35forever.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Forget about 2015 or 2016.

We're in the top 4 now so we must seize the opportunity and go the Flag this year. Smile
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:54 pm

+1 Rude. 15 + 16 will be GWS and GC at the highest mark they'll ever be (before players go home/salary cap/end of concessions). This year is our best chance for a while. I can't see any team as one we can't possibly beat. It'll all be down to injuries & peaking at just the right time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: