Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2014 FIFA World Cup

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So who get more charged up from last nights remarkable result?
Argentina have a chance to make the final in Brazil following Brazil's humiliation. For the Argies there can be no greater motivation. This will give them bragging rights for a generation. Imagine if they win the whole show and do it in Brazil? It is unfathomable!
For the Dutch, loser in 3 finals & greatest rival of the Germans, how can they bow out now before a final beckons against their greatest rival?
This is epic stuff.
Either way a Germany v Argentina or Germany v Netherlands final brings much more to the game than just a single result. It brings such history and rivalry that this cup will determine how the footballing worth of nations is judged for years.
For either Euro side to win in South America will be a first. For the Germans it will state forever their place in the pantheon of the game.
For the Dutch, complete redemption for the past three narrow final losses. For Argentina, it simply means winning a World Cup in Brazil (enough said).
Tonight I'm going Argentina.
Highly organised, very combative and blessed with enough skill through Messi & Aguero (if fit) to score. The Dutch have performed very well, but up front it's all Robben. He will be ruthlessly marked. Argentina is a massive step up from Costa Rica, so I don't see chances coming as easy. A close call,
but Albiceleste 1-0.
My final; like 86 & 90, it will be Germany v Argentina.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm finding this extremely difficult to predict as both sides are neck and neck in my opinion. A lot of this is going to come down to individual brilliance. If the Dutch can't contain Messi, then they'll be in some trouble but on the other hand the Argentinians must contain Robben or else look out.

Last night's game was easy to tip especially with Neymar and Thiago Silva out for Brazil but this game is extremely hard to predict. I think it's going to go down to penalties and it will be a matter of luck of who prevails to the Final. Whoever wins this, I expect an epic game on Sunday but I'm worried that Argentina may struggle against a team of champions like Germany as opposed to the Netherlands. Their record against Germany in recent times hasn't been flash. The Dutch would love to make it and atone for their loss in 2010 and set up a replay of 1974. On the other hand the same could be said for Argentina who'd love to atone for what happened in 1990 as well but I guess the Germans got revenge on them after what happened in 1986. Either way it's going to be a fantastic spectacle.

One way or another this should be a ripper and I can't wait! I tip the Netherlands to prevail on penalties but I have this odd feeling that it could be one-sided in favour of the Dutch. One way or another, I can't see Argentina smashing the Netherlands if they win tonight.

Netherlands v Argentina - 6am (EST)

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 pm

If Argentina lose then it will be them vs Brazil for third place.

Not sure why they bother playing off for third but that match up would carry more meaning than usual with Brazil desperate to save some face against there biggest rival.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:40 pm

swoop42 wrote:
If Argentina lose then it will be them vs Brazil for third place.

Not sure why they bother playing off for third but that match up would carry more meaning than usual with Brazil desperate to save some face against there biggest rival.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the third place final is pointless. It just rubs it in for both sides that they're not playing in the Final the very next day!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:07 am

Geez Brazil was taught a lesson
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:54 am

Oh well - I've been waiting for 40 years. Another 4 is do-able.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Here's a useful contribution to the debate about Brazil's hapless end to the tournament: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/07/10/romario-says-jail-brazils-football-chiefs
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:29 pm

My tipping success rolls on unabated - 14 in row now.
The second semi was what we feared. A dour defensive minded war of attrition. A real pity as both sides had far more on offer than what they showed.
Both Argentina (Aguero & Di Maria) and Netherlands (de Jong and Van Persie) were either missing stars or playing them half buggered after getting this far in the tournament.
The Dutch disappointed. That's two 0-0 extra time draws in a row (240 minutes without a single goal) - not the stuff World Cup winners are made of.
The Argies got there in the raffle that is penalties. They seriously were no better than the Dutch. It appears still that blunting Messi means there's not too much else on offer in attack. They are very organised, fiesty, competitive and bloody hard to beat, but they lack the all round cohesion and multiple attacking options (Klose, Muller, Kroos, Schurrle, Ozil, Khedira) of the Germans.
I'm thinking a Euro team will win in South America.
Deutschland uber alles!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:33 pm

When were they?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:39 pm

The dutch got what they deserved.

Why play such a boring ultra defensive game when blessed with some of the worlds best strikers.

Yawn.

Germany vs Messi.

GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:31 pm

the final will be a more open game van gaal made it a snore fest
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Well, since he's going to Man U now and there are virtually no competent defenders in the EPL, perhaps he thought it was his last chance for a few years to have a team play competently from the back.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:39 am

Netherlands 0-0 Argentina

Argentina win 4-2 on penalties

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28122293

Talking Point:
- Argentina through to the World Cup Final setting up a replay of 1986 and 1990 against Germany!
- Germany heavy favourites for the Final after Argentina's performance.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:43 am

What are you wearing?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:44 am

Tonight we have the third place final between hosts Brazil and the Netherlands. With not much at stake in this match, most expect this clash to be one of redemption and pride for both sides and the emphasis of attacking football may be witnessed tonight. Brazil will be hoping to end their World Cup campaign on a good note after a disastrous Semi Final performance against Germany or will the Dutch spoil the party!

Brazil v Netherlands - 6am (EST)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: