Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2014 FIFA World Cup

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the rest of you, but the sense of watching these games tonight along with perhaps a billion others is chilling.
Nothing is bigger than this!
Brazil at home in the World Cup!! Can the collective will of this magnificent country carry their team over the line? Memories of the home failure of 1950 still burn deep in the Brazilian psyche and ever since they got the gig to host, they knew days like this would come. Forget the other victories, we must win this one at home. Pride, destiny, redemption.
Colombia, the great underachievers of South America. Booked to host the World Cup in 1986, but a year out had to admit in disgrace that they couldn't pull it off. The joke of the world! Their team is always the same.. good, sometimes even great, but they never deliver.
What a match up. The five time winner playing at home desperate to show the world v the hapless underachiever who is equally desperate that this time they have finally have got it right.
Brazil always beat Colombia, so they cannot lose to them now, not with all that's at stake. Colombia never beat Brazil, so this is the chance to finally do it. Fifty years of failure will be wiped clean in an afternoon.

Then there is small matter of a France v Germany World Cup Quarter Final!
The term rival, does not do this justice. The French have waited since the defeats of 82 & 86 for vengeance. Make no mistake knocking the Germans out will be remembered for eternity. It will only be eclipsed by their win in '98.
For the Germans, similar to Brazil, they simply cannot lose in the Quarters. It will be a monumental fail. The Germans know as much as anyone that this is a beatable field. They know this tournament is within their reach. It cannot be the unthinkable - a loss to the French, that costs them.

Sensational and can't wait.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:34 am

As I suspected its Brazil v Germany.
The Germans blanketed the French and looked composed at the finish.
Brazil were all over Colombia, but somewhat lost their way mid way through the second half, but still deserved their win.
The issue I have is that neither were capable of scoring in open play. The Germans got theirs via a free into the box and Brazil scored from a corner and a direct free. Between them over 180 minutes, no goals from direct play!! That's not a good stat at all with still two more wins to be had and all opposition of real quality.

Now Brazil have real problems; Thiago Silva carded out & Neymar out injured. It's a pity when real stars miss, but this is a test of stamina & squad depth as much as a test of skill.
It saddens me, but I think the Germans may have them. As I posted earlier in the tournament; Hulk & Fred just never score and nothing has changed.
So now no Neymar means those two will be even more under the pump. I just can't see either getting through the German defence.
If Germany score first, Brazil will get the jitters and leave holes for Germany to counter attack.
I'm going Germany 1-0.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Only the crowd can get Brazil over the line, now. After watching Neymar go down like he was shot every time he went near the ball, it was little surprise that when his back was fractured in a terrible challenge there wasn't even a yellow card. Sadly, without him they will be firing blanks in the semi-final.

If the Dutch get through on the other side of the draw, they can win this (big if, of course - they've been shooting themselves in the foot for about 40 years). Assuming they can win the next game, they'll still have to survive having their legs kicked out from under them for 90 or even 120 minutes by Argentina to make the final.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Two interesting games so far in the Quarter Finals.

Germany were deserving winners against France. France was disappointing in the sense they played far too defensively to trouble Germany at goal despite having 13 shots at goal. The Germans were very good and looked calm after Hummels' goal early in the game. They're starting to look very good and with the way Brazil played last night, I think Germany will be slight favourites in the Semi Final tie.

I tipped Columbia to beat Brazil, but somehow Brazil have won despite losing Neymar to injury and seeing Thiago Silva being carded out for the next match against Germany. Brazil without a doubt played with a lot of spirit and displayed plenty of resilience but I still can't see them winning against Germany especially losing Neymar and Thiago Silva for that game. A pity Columbia went out as they've been fantastic in this World Cup in providing us with great attacking football to watch. James Rodriguez has been the player of the tournament so far! Great World Cup campaign for him and I just wonder whether having Radamel Falcao could have helped Columbia reach the Semi Final as well on top of Rodriguez.

For tonight's games I think Belgium and the Netherlands will advance to the Semi Finals.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:53 pm

France 0-1 Germany

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28051800

Key Moments:
Goals:
Germany - 12' (Hummels)

Talking Point:
- Germany through to the Semi Finals for the fourth time in a row!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brazil 2-1 Columbia

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28051801

Key Moments:
Goals:
Brazil - 7' (Thiago Silva)
Brazil - 68' (Luiz)
Columbia - 80' (Rodriguez) - Penalty

Talking Point:
- Brazil through to the Semi Finals but it comes at a cost with both Thiago Silva and Neymar unavailable for the Semi Final clash against Germany due to suspension and injury respectively.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:44 pm

So we're at the halfway point with two Quarter Finals completed so far. Tonight the remaining two Quarter Finals will be on with Argentina led by Leo Messi up against a rising Belgium outfit and following this heavy favourites the Netherlands take on a Costa Rica side who's displayed plenty of spirit and courage so far in the World Cup.

Argentina v Belgium - 2am (EST)

Netherlands v Costa Rica - 6am (EST)

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm trying to move on following that terrible performance v Gold Coast... So let's focus on tonight's Quarters.
The best game should be Argentina v Belgium. Neither side has shown great attacking verve, but solid organisation and stoic defence have seen both sides record wins in all their games to date. Both sides are capable of better. Higuain, Di Maria & Messi is a very capable (and sometimes brilliant) attack and if Aguero is fit he too must play. But they have not yet found their rhythm and have won all four games by a single goal in only patchy performances.
For the Belgians, it's a mirror image. Four wins by single goal margins and more renown players like Fellaini & Hazard have done very little. One player to catch the eye is 19 year old Lille striker Divock Origi. He looks a real find and full marks to the Belgians on promoting a youngster on such a stage. Lukaku has looked dangerous each time he's come on, and he could pose real problems in the last 20-30 minutes.
Don't forget Messi hasn't put one past Courtois in their last seven meetings, so sadly goals look a premium in this one. Both have great attacks that really aren't on song, so my pick is Argentina to squeak through 1-0.
The other game pits the Dutch against the brave Ticos. Can't see Costa Rica getting up. I still think the best football of the tournament was played by the Netherlands against Spain, so Robben, Van Persie et al should be right. I'm going out on a limb with 3-0 win to the Dutch.
So; Germany v Brazil and I predict;
Argentina v Netherlands
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:43 am

My overall World Cup highlight is not Rodriguez or Cahill, but the aerosol spray can!
FIFA approved its use a few years ago for the Under 20 World Cup held in Turkey and leagues such as Brazil, Argentina & Korea have already adopted it. I first saw it in highlights package of the last Copa Libertadores and thought it some bizarre South American idea.
But I reckon it helps. Anything that may assist the attacking side is a good thing. Toe the line defenders!
As most innovations go, expect the game we get most coverage of (UEFA countries, EPL etc) to adopt it.
Go the spray can!
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:10 am

My tipping run continues. So far I've got all the Round of 16 & Quarters correct. That's 12 in a row. Now I'm making no claims on being a genius, it's the obvious fact that the cream rises and the best teams win at times such as these. All games bar Greece v Costa Rica have been straight forward picks.
Thank goodness Belgium is out. One of the more insipid teams I've ever seen for a game of this magnitude. Hazard & Fellaini dudded again & they were so bereft of ideas that for the last 20 minutes they resorted to pumping in long balls.
Argentina wrapped them up and we're much too good and too experienced.
In the other game, I may have got the result right (like everyone else on the planet), but Costa Rica were amazing. I thought the Dutch would smash them, and for poor finishing they should have. However the Ticos hung tough for 120 minutes and even could have bagged a late winner themselves. Heads held high.
If the Dutch fiddle around like they did v Costa Rica against Argentina they will be run ragged. I think it's Messi time and the Alibiceleste will go through.
The Brazilians without both their skipper and star striker will surely struggle.
Please please be a Brazil v Argentina final. That would be earth shattering. But I just think the Germans May edge them.
My pick Argentina v Germany. (But I really hope I'm wrong for Brazil's sake)
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 am

I expect Argentina to play Germany but I'd really like a 1974 rematch. If Holland's forwards all turn up to play in the one game, no-one can compete with them. The problem is that, Robben aside, most of them have been poor in most matches so far.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:36 am

Disappointed to see Belgium eliminated, but Argentina deserved the win and great performance by Costa Rica but the Netherlands will be relieved about advancing to the Semi Finals through penalties.

So tonight we have Brazil against Germany which should be a ripper. Without Neymar and Thiago Silva I find it difficult to see how Brazil is going to win this game but with the home crowd behind them and their never say die attitude anything is possible. If Brazil wins this game, it would be massive for them. Germany have some demons to overcome as well considering they've been eliminated in the Semi Finals in the previous two World Cups of 2006 and 2010 where they lost to Italy and Spain respectively so they'll want to advance to the Final this time round.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:44 am

Argentina 1-0 Belgium

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28069209

Key Moments:
Goals:
Argentina - 6' (Higuain)

Talking Point:
- Argentina through to the Semi Finals with another one-goal victory!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Netherlands 0-0 Costa Rica

Netherlands win 4-3 on penalties

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28069208

Talking Point:
- Costa Rica proud despite being defeated.
- Netherlands through to the Semi Finals to take on Argentina!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:46 am

Tonight we have the first semi final taking place with hosts Brazil taking on Germany in what should be an enthralling contest!

Brazil v Germany - 6am (EST)

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:49 am

That is very soon.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:33 am

5-0 and counting..... Germany v who?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: