Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Age vs Herald Sun vs society changes - Observations

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing the point totally. I'm not looking down on anyone. I eat at McDonald's now and then, and I still tend to read lowbrow mainstream news as opposed to, say, peer-reviewed scientific articles. It's no reflection on me personally, or anyone else who consumes these things; we all need to relax sometimes, and for some people that's what watching TV and movies and reading newspapers are for—they don't want to read something challenging or disturbing in their spare time. That's ok. You have every right to make your own priorities and I completely respect that. But don't fall into the trap of thinking that the tabloid newspaper you read is somehow equal in quality, information or balance to more intellectually stimulating alternatives. It has nothing to do with "big words" or pretentiousness. You may be surprised to learn that good intelligent writing actually avoids unnecessary big words; it tries to aim for big ideas instead. That's not something you could ever accuse The Herald Sun of.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:42 pm

No your missing the point, far too often you come across as a pompous ass, like your somehow better than everyone else because you have obscure (note i said obcscure not refined) taste. Its like abstract art some of us look at it and see a pile of junk, or a finger painting, you argue its a grown up art. I dont think less of you because you see pictures in a junk pile, but you sure seem to think less of me cos i see the junk for a pile of junk.

You seem to have the emotional maturity of a rock.

Education is fine, knowledge is good but its not the be all end all. Kid at my daughters school, topped the year level every year, got offered scholorships left right and centre, she really is genius iq, and guess what? Shes miserable. Well she was. Shes taken off, over the other side of the world working in a bar, happy as larry, seeing the world. Being the smartest kid around didnt make her happy. And happy is far more important than knowing pythagorus therom (wheres spell check when i need it) inside out.

Chill out. Stop being so bloody, um, yes, pretentious

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Everything about society you can learn from TISM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHdpAVIHgo&feature=kp
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:34 pm

I agree that intelligence is more than just IQ or educational achievement—life experience, emotional maturity and social skills are all vital aspects of it—but the media we consume can affect those qualities, too. What, for example, do you think will help develop your emotional intelligence better: a tabloid newspaper that urges you to fear and hate foreigners, poor people and society's outsiders, or a film that forces you to empathise with the plight of the kind of person you wouldn't usually think of? That latter quality can be really powerful, and it's one of the things that art can be really good for. Of course, art can be really good for other things too, like stimulating thought, subverting common presumptions or simply exploring the potential of the particular art form.

So, yes, to an extent you are what you eat, and read, and see and hear. All of these things help shape who you are as a person. Seek out good quality stuff and you'll be rewarded. But that's never a judgement on you. How could it be? We don't get to choose what we like or what we want.

You've taken this conversation personally. Do you define yourself by what you like? To me, it seems like you have a massive chip on your shoulder about me thinking I'm smarter than you or better than you or more righteous than you or something. If that's what you think, you're completely wrong. I've understood since I was young that we all have strengths and weaknesses. We all have complex backgrounds and the ability to think about the world rationally. None of us are perfect, and none of us deserve to be treated with contempt. There are things I'm better at than you are, and things that you can do that I can't. If I ever let myself slip into feeling arrogant about the things I'm good at, then that will be a weakness (and a rather significant one). It will be something I'll have to overcome.

But don't confuse my assessment of different media sources as arrogance. This isn't a self-indulgent exercise. What the Herald Sun does (and I agree with PTID on its goals and tactics) makes me very angry, and it saddens me to think that some people partially shape their worldviews based on it. Because that newspaper is rubbish: petty, hateful, irrelevant, small-minded, reactionary, anti-intellectual, anti-scientific, propagandistic rubbish. I have all the respect and empathy in the world for its readers, but I have no respect whatsoever for the Herald Sun.

Last edited by David on Sat May 24, 2014 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David, I think your comments are extremely pretentious.

Except for the comment about the IQ test, I just got 134 and I have a hangover and am struggling to think straight.

I normally score between 120-135 on IQ tests and I took this one at 2am because when I went to be the tooth fairy at midnight my daughter said "Hello daddy" so I had to wait a couple of hours Laughing Certainly on the easy/random side of tests, I mean true/false gives me half a chance of getting something right I have no idea of.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:01 pm

David you would have to be the least pretentious person I know. You are also totally lacking in guile, I don't believe you have a nasty bone in your body but you also exhibit an extraordinary lack of insight on some occasions and can be as naive as a new born.

You're welcome to have your opinion of the Herald Sun. I think that this
Quote:
Because that newspaper is rubbish: petty, hateful, irrelevant, small-minded, reactionary, anti-intellectual, anti-scientific, propagandistic rubbish.
is wrong but you're welcome to your opinion.

Arguing that one news paper is of a higher "quality" than another is totally subjective and does indeed come across as snobbish and pretentious, 2 words that would normally never be in any description of you.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Is it that radical an assertion, though? Perhaps you don't share my opinion of the Herald Sun, but I'm sure you've come across some terrible newspapers in your time. Some of the British tabloids, for example. And even if you think they're good for a laugh, I'm sure you can at least imagine a hypothetical newspaper that is of demonstratively lower quality than another in every respect—something that, say, has bad writing, heaps of spelling errors and no interesting stories (like the infamous Illawarra Mercury, for instance). Wouldn't you argue that any given newspaper is of a higher "quality" than that one? Would that really be a snobbish or pretentious thing to say?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:02 pm

David, don't get sucked in to other people's fears and insecurities. Outside of entertainment and genuine direct experience, which we all agree are good and necessary, people can't maintain a heavy diet of mental rubbish at the exclusion of serious research and develop complex insight at the same time. There are simply not enough hours in the day to do so.

It just makes no sense to think that a person's "opinion" on difficult, non-intuitive topics well beyond limited personal experience, without reference to the best historical and contemporary thinking on the matter, the discipline of formal argument and peer review, and the logical check of statistics and experimental testing, ought to be granted much credence beyond personal deference.

Anyone who claims to know something, yet hasn't bothered to consult the best and most disciplined expertise in the field from across the world, and wants to impose their undeveloped, random thoughts on society, is both arrogant and negligent. Just recall the people who knew, just knew, that invading Iraq was the right thing to do, despite struggling to even locate it on a map.

It always astonishes me that people can accept a differential in sporting prowess, but not knowledge and insight. Some footballers have natural talent, but natural talent and formal discipline is what makes players guns in the big league of ideas.

Or perhaps people do recognise this, but struggle to deal with its implications.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:26 pm

David wrote:
Is it that radical an assertion, though? Perhaps you don't share my opinion of the Herald Sun, but I'm sure you've come across some terrible newspapers in your time. Some of the British tabloids, for example. And even if you think they're good for a laugh, I'm sure you can at least imagine a hypothetical newspaper that is of demonstratively lower quality than another in every respect—something that, say, has bad writing, heaps of spelling errors and no interesting stories (like the infamous Illawarra Mercury, for instance). Wouldn't you argue that any given newspaper is of a higher "quality" than that one? Would that really be a snobbish or pretentious thing to say?

If you could measure it objectively by things like spelling mistakes or errors of fact then yes. In this case, the Age being originally a broadsheet still has the broadsheet mindset in the English way which is that it pitches itself at the more "intellectual" market than the Herald Sun. Apart from editorial policy and ownership, the differences between them are of style.

Does the Age have an objectively higher quality coverage of AFL than the Herald Sun? Did it have an objectively higher quality coverage of the missing Malaysian air liner? Does it have an objectively higher quality of reporting of crime?

To label the paper that attempts to be the intellectual paper as a higher quality comes across to me as pretentious and snobish. Others may .disagree

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:56 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Arguing that one news paper is of a higher "quality" than another is totally subjective

^ Complete rubbish. We can argue all around the edges of the matter, cross opinions about matters of style, have different views about the finer points of balance, sure. But what you cannot get away from is major, objective differences in depth of coverage, breadth of content, freedom from gross bias, editorial independence, long-term accuracy, and above all fact-based reporting. All these things can be checked and measured and verified, often in real time and always through the lens of historical hindsight - and on every single count, the Herald-Sun comes up short. It isn't just inferior to the Age (or any other paper of even mediochre standing), it is grossly and demonstrably inferior.

You have a perfect right to read it, just as you have a perfect right to eat junk food or smoke tobacco, but you don't have the right to expect others to regard your ill-informed Herald-Sun views as equal in importance to the views of people who absorb much larger amounts of much better quality information about the world because they read better, and because they read better, are better informed. They can be wrong too, and you, despite your poorly-informed world-view, can be right from time to time, but by reading poorly or not reading at all, you stack the odds against yourself just as surely as you stack up the odds of heart attack by eating lots of saturated fat and sodium.

stui magpie wrote:
and does indeed come across as snobbish and pretentious

Yes, but only if you have a great big inferiority complex about your low-brow reading and a big chip on your shoulder to match it. A healthy Herald-Sun reader would simply agree that she doesn't have the same grasp on things as people who try harder to inform themselves by reading better quality stuff, and that's fine. Everybody has different interests and aptitudes, and learning about science and politics and economics isn't everyone's cup of tea. There are other things in life too, and you and I are perfectly free to focus on those other things instead.

Think Positive, for example, has spent a lot of time and effort in recent years on bringing up her teenage children, participating in events and sport and so on with them. I'd have to be stone-cold stupid to pretend that my expertise in child-raising is the equal of hers - 'coz she's put the time and effort in and I haven't. Yet people who can't be bothered learning anything about politics or science or economics and operate on the low-grade-ore of the Herald-Sun think that their ill-informed opinions are "just as valid" as mine or Wokko's or David's. Insofar as they are honestly-held opinions of a particular individual citizen, they are valid, and may be freely expressed in any democracy. But only a fool would regard the opinion of a Herald-Sun reader as having much validity outside that context. If you don't learn the facts, if you don't verify the facts, if you don't expose yourself to a wide range of views, you will always struggle to form sensible and valid views.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Yep, case in point. Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:18 pm

Hey guys, thanks to Stui and Jezza I now know I'm, um, a bit right I think it was. Or maybe I'm right about being a bit left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: