Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Age vs Herald Sun vs society changes - Observations

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they write back?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:10 am

Tannin wrote:
Wokko, you are off the freakin planet if you think the Oz outsells the Age. Lots of places they don't even bother stocking it 'coz it sells so badly, but you have to go seriously outback before you can't get the Fin.

I don't mean it outsells The Age, just that those two papers cut deeply into the Age's readership but the HUN has a free run.

http://www.roymorgan.com.au/industries/media/readership/newspaper-readership

Australian outsells the Fin Review btw, and The Age on Weekends, it is of course a National paper though.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:21 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
I think there's a big difference between The Australian and the Murdoch tabloids, Tannin. The former, as you say, is an unsustainable vanity project. The latter still dominate their markets and do pretty well (well, as well as a print newspaper can be expected to do in this day and age). Rubbish sells.

You ever think it's your views that might be strange? Yes it sells what makes it rubbish? That's pretty arrogant. Hell of a lot of the population read it. So your in the minority that has superior intellect? It might one be your taste does not make it rubbish

Why does it bother you so that people who are smarter than you think that what you like is rubbish?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:58 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
I think there's a big difference between The Australian and the Murdoch tabloids, Tannin. The former, as you say, is an unsustainable vanity project. The latter still dominate their markets and do pretty well (well, as well as a print newspaper can be expected to do in this day and age). Rubbish sells.

You ever think it's your views that might be strange? Yes it sells what makes it rubbish? That's pretty arrogant. Hell of a lot of the population read it. So your in the minority that has superior intellect? It might one be your taste does not make it rubbish

Why does it bother you so that people who are smarter than you think that what you like is rubbish?

Dear Luke (That's me),

Thank you for your interest in the test at IQTest.com.

Your general IQ score is: 134

Intelligence Interval Cognitive Designation
40 - 54 Severely challenged (Less than 1% of test takers)
55 - 69 Challenged (2.3% of test takers)
70 - 84 Below average
85 - 114 Average (68% of test takers)
115 - 129 Above average
130 - 144 Gifted (2.3% of test takers)
145 - 159 Genius (Less than 1% of test takers)
160 - 175 Extraordinary genius

I don't think that anybody's personal preferences are rubbish, be they music, newspapers, books, magazines, movies, computer games or television. Those choices may reflect intelligence, upbringing, attention span or general interest but they are never objectively 'better' or 'worse' than someone elses choices. I prefer the Herald Sun to The Age despite it being rather non challenging, I liked the original 'reality TV' (Survivor) and I also enjoy Cheeseburgers (Quarter Pounders to be exact).

As my highly unscientific test results show, I'm quite intelligent but don't fit the world view of a pretentious twat. I have indulged in pretentious twattery at times in my life but happily grew out of it. Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:44 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Why does it bother you so that people who think they are smarter than you think that what you like is rubbish?

Fixed

Intelligence is not just measured by application of big words

FYI I don't often read either, I just get sick of the constant bashing of various things the everyday man and woman happen to like, read, watch by those who claim to see all things equal, yet put an opinion out there like some messiah, insulting their preferences as if they are minions

Last edited by think positive on Sat May 24, 2014 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:22 am

I just re-read what I wrote, and what you wrote is the most absurd and insulting bullshit I ever heard

Wokko wrote:
What unmitigated pretentious crap Tannin.

Where exactly do you get off, writing such a stupid and offensive comment about a perfectly sensible, fact-based post? I thought you were better than that.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:29 am

Sadly, humans are emotionally vulnerable, which is why we need a legal system to protect us from those who seek to manipulate that vulnerability.

If we got a group of evil scientists together to engineer how to best manipulate people without being prosecuted for it, we would put together a campaign to lure them with a mix of the emotionally stimulating, entertaining and warm, and then throw in the highly distorted once they lowered their guard. Religious cults have been doing it for years.

At best tabloids are the cognitive equivalent of junk food; our body craves them even as they damage us and we know they're poison. At worst, tabloids are a very dangerous cult preying on innate human weaknesses.

The harmless and warm elements wouldn't be a problem if that was the extent of what was happening. The problem is the highly unscientific representation of events and emotions which excite people's fear and anger (primitive, highly stressful emotions), giving them highly distorted feelings about life and the world.

Basically, what they're doing is a form of slow-burn psychiatric abuse; a sort of gradual traumatic brainwashing that makes people ignorant, angry and fearful all at once. And then they tell you to vote for a creep who makes you feel better by letting you unleash the anger they generated within you on asylum seekers and the unemployed. Like clockwork.

What's there to like about that? Purposely misinforming, manipulating and misleading people is a psychopathic dog act and should be described accordingly.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:31 am

Reading is not just the most efficient and effective way to absorb information of most (but not all) kinds, it is by far the most efficient and effective way. The ability to take in information is critical to the ability to learn. Sorry, if you don't often read, you will always battle to keep up those who do read and do learn. You can choose to do something about it, or you can choose not to because you have other priorities. Both are perfectly valid choices.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 am

pietillidie wrote:
humans are emotionally vulnerable, sadly we need a legal system to protect us from those who seek to manipulate that vulnerability.

Purposely misinforming, manipulating and misleading people is a psychopathic dog act and should be described accordingly.

first sentence fixed, second its psychopathic or arrogant people that do that, the Dog is innocent

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 am

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
humans are emotionally vulnerable, sadly we need a legal system to protect us from those who seek to manipulate that vulnerability.

Purposely misinforming, manipulating and misleading people is a psychopathic dog act and should be described accordingly.

first sentence fixed, second its psychopathic or arrogant people that do that, the Dog is innocent

Yes, fair call. Speaking of which, the last of the eight Golden Retriever puppies in the yard at a local council office down the road was sold the other day Sad They were little beauties.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:26 am

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Yes, fair call. Speaking of which, the last of the eight Golden Retriever puppies in the yard at a local council office down the road was sold the other day Sad They were little beauties.

hope they went to good homes and I donr mean the dinner table Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Wokko wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Dear Luke (That's me),

70 - 84 Below average
115 - 129 Above average

I don't think that anybody's personal preferences are rubbish, be they music, newspapers, books, magazines, movies, computer games or television. Those choices may reflect intelligence, upbringing, attention span or general interest but they are never objectively 'better' or 'worse' than someone elses choices. I prefer the Herald Sun to The Age despite it being rather non challenging, I liked the original 'reality TV' (Survivor) and I also enjoy Cheeseburgers (Quarter Pounders to be exact).

As my highly unscientific test results show, I'm quite intelligent but don't fit the world view of a pretentious twat. I have indulged in pretentious twattery at times in my life but happily grew out of it. Laughing

I think it sounds nice to say that everyone's personal preference is of equal quality, but it's demonstrably untrue. You could apply this logic to almost any aspect of society: is hitting yourself on the head repeatedly with a brick as good for your health as exercising and having a balanced diet? Is 2+2=5 as valid a mathematical conclusion as Einstein's theory of relativity? Is The Bold and the Beautiful as interesting and intellectually stimulating as Hiroshima Mon Amour? Isn't it a bit dishonest to suggest that these things are just a matter of taste?

(I got 149, by the way. Wink But I don't think that test is very scientific.)

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Tannin wrote:
I just re-read what I wrote, and what you wrote is the most absurd and insulting bullshit I ever heard

Wokko wrote:
What unmitigated pretentious crap Tannin.

Where exactly do you get off, writing such a stupid and offensive comment about a perfectly sensible, fact-based post? I thought you were better than that.

I was reacting to this casual comment:

Quote:
The Herald-Sun reaches a lot more readers but most of them are poorly-educated and very few of them are in positions of power or influence.

Re-reading it myself, it probably reads harsher than I intended but the main point stands.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:06 pm

David, I think your comments are extremely pretentious.

Except for the comment about the IQ test, I just got 134 and I have a hangover and am struggling to think straight.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Dear Luke (That's me),

70 - 84 Below average
115 - 129 Above average

I think it sounds nice to say that everyone's personal preference is of equal quality, but it's demonstrably untrue. You could apply this logic to almost any aspect of society: is hitting yourself on the head repeatedly with a brick as good for your health as exercising and having a balanced diet? Is 2+2=5 as valid a mathematical conclusion as Einstein's theory of relativity? Is The Bold and the Beautiful as interesting and intellectually stimulating as Hiroshima Mon Amour? Isn't it a bit dishonest to suggest that these things are just a matter of taste?

(I got 149, by the way. Wink But I don't think that test is very scientific.)

equal quality? LMAO WTF!!

how dare you? personal preference is just that, what that person prefers. your going to judge quality on it? of what? life? you reckon your quality of life is better than mine because I don't watch boring shit on tv that puts me too sleep, and I happen to really like brooke on bold and the beautiful (although I don't watch it anymore, a quick glimpse suggests shes still regularly marrying ridge)

whoever said the following was totally right

"David taking the high road to look down on everyone else"

rattling of the names of obscure films and words nobody uses in real life conversations doesn't make you better than anybody else.

Pull your $£$%^%%$ head in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: