Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbotts foot in mouth thread...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another "sign" that our dear leader opens his mouth without ever bothering to check what is actually happening in the real world.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:02 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:23 pm

He is making George W look like Einstein

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/07/09/appalling-and-insensible-china-rebukes-abbott-praising-japans-wwii-skills

Quote:
China's official news agency has slammed Prime Minister Tony Abbott for praising Japan's World War II military prowess in his welcome to Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Xinhua believes Mr Abbott's admiration of Japanese war skills was appalling and "insensible" (sic) to victim countries.

"He probably wasn't aware that the Japanese troops possessed other 'skills', skills to loot, to rape, to torture and to kill. All these had been committed under the name of honour almost 70 years ago," Xinhua said in a commentary on its website.

The agency is regarded as reflecting the views of China's government.

This comes amid growing Chinese assertiveness in regional territorial disputes. Japan is also shrugging off the pacifist foreign policy it has had since its defeat in World War II.

More than any other nation, China suffered under Japan's 14-year military occupation with as many as 20 million dead.

In his address to the parliamentary sitting attended by Mr Abe, Mr Abbott cited the bravery of Japanese submariners killed in the 1942 raid on Sydney harbour.

"We admired the skill and the sense of honour that they brought to their task although we disagreed with what they did. Perhaps we grasped, even then, that with a change of heart the fiercest of opponents could be the best of friends," Mr Abbott said.

Xinhua said Mr Abbott showed how "insensible" he is towards people who suffered greatly as a result of the "advanced" war skills of Japanese troops and their sense of honour during their aggression.

"While Japan has earned the reputation of a good international citizen, how much does it owe to its pacifist constitution, of which Abe and his cabinet are trying to change by re-interpreting its key article," it said.

Diggers would disagree

The head of the RSL says many Australian diggers would disagree with Prime Minister Tony Abbott's praise for Japan's World War II military prowess.

RSL president Rear Admiral Ken Doolan says there are Australian soldiers who fought in World War II who have the view that some Japanese in some instances did not behave with honour.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:30 pm

partypie wrote:
1061 wrote:
Well he didn't need a deal to GET power in his own right, he just can't get anything through without making deals.

Looks like he's not a good negotiator.

By the way, this one belongs in here
http://mobile.news.com.au/national/tony-abbott-accused-of-going-too-far-over-japans-war-record/story-fncynjr2-1226984686363

Lest we forget

Agreed.He ought to get some perspective on this. Hundreds of thousands of forced asian labourers died as well.The word honourable in this instance is probably the worst use of the English language in history. Although they use it in paliament so maybe they diluted it.I will be at Hellfire Pass next ANZAC day and luckily he won't be there (he will be in Turkey) and I can assure you the japanese are not welcome. When they apologise, give some money to the surviving POWs and teach the correct version in Japanese history classes we might condescend to forgive them, a bit.
And perhaps stop harpooning perfectly healthy and happy whales in some distorted research program to provide meat to those who don't want it. Abbott equals arselicker.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm going to take Abbott's corner here. The whole idea of soldiers from the "good" team (i.e. us and our allies) being brave and honourable and soldiers from the "bad" team being bloodthirsty brutes is comically infantile, and yet that is the position that China is taking here. Of course Japamese, Nazi and Italian soldiers in WW2 were on average no less "brave" than ours were, and Abbott is hardly a blundering idiot for pointing that out. Of course, I'd prefer that he and others would stop fetishising war exploits altogether, but that's not really the issue at hand here.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Your wrong David.
Chinese view the Japanese in much the same way we view Hitlers Germany.
They unleashed an expansionist war on a back-ward and peaceful country using methods most "civilised people" would find abhorant.
If you do not understand this I suggest you should do some research before calling the actions of the Japanese army "honourable" and no worse than anyone elses soldiers.
They invaded a peaceful and back-ward country and committed unspeakable atrocities on the inhabitants.
China has every right to be pissed at the insults our numb-skull P.M was pedalling.
~
http://www.history.com/topics/nanjing-massacre

In late 1937, over a period of six weeks, Imperial Japanese Army forces brutally murdered hundreds of thousands of people–including both soldiers and civilians–in the Chinese city of Nanking (or Nanjing). The horrific events are known as the Nanking Massacre or the Rape of Nanking, as between 20,000 and 80,000 women were sexually assaulted. Nanking, then the capital of Nationalist China, was left in ruins, and it would take decades for the city and its citizens to recover from the savage attacks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_War#Jinan_Incident

Japanese Special Naval Landing Forces with gas masks and rubber gloves during a chemical attack[citation needed] near Chapei in the Battle of Shanghai.
Despite Article 23 of the Hague Conventions (1899 and 1907), article V of the Treaty in Relation to the Use of Submarines and Noxious Gases in Warfare,[67] article 171 of the Treaty of Versailles and a resolution adopted by the League of Nations on May 14, 1938, condemning the use of poison gas by the Empire of Japan, the Imperial Japanese Army frequently used chemical weapons during the war.
According to historians Yoshiaki Yoshimi and Seiya Matsuno, the chemical weapons were authorized by specific orders given by Japanese Emperor Hirohito himself, transmitted by the Imperial General Headquarters. For example, the Emperor authorized the use of toxic gas on 375 separate occasions during the Battle of Wuhan from August to October 1938.[68] They were also used during the invasion of Changde. Those orders were transmitted either by Prince Kan'in Kotohito or General Hajime Sugiyama.[69]
Bacteriological weapons provided by Shirō Ishii's units were also profusely used. For example, in 1940, the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force bombed Ningbo with fleas carrying the bubonic plague.[70] During the Khabarovsk War Crime Trials the accused, such as Major General Kiyashi Kawashima, testified that, in 1941, some 40 members of Unit 731 air-dropped plague-contaminated fleas on Changde. These attacks caused epidemic plague outbreaks.[71]

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:50 pm

I understand it very well.
partypie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:06 pm

David, you should look up war crimes in the south west pacific before excusing Tony Abbott. Many of them, including the Tol massacre in early 1942 did not make it to the war crimes tribunal as the protagonists committed suicide. As the daughter of a member of the AIF who suffered untreated PTSD and committed suicide in his 50s despite leading a productive and honourable life, Abbott's comments come as a new low.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:27 pm

I'm already well aware of the many Japanese atrocities in South-East Asia, PP and 3. I'm also aware of appalling Allied atrocities in the same war (and probably blissfully unaware of many more). Neither fact means that individual Japanese or Nazi or Soviet or Australian or American soldiers were not "brave", did not conduct themselves with "honour" or do not deserve to be remembered. Neither does it mean that their or their governments' war crimes should be whitewashed, excused or downplayed. I stand by what I wrote.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:54 pm

David do you have butter/marg on your bread?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:08 pm

The japanese were a bugger to fight. Yeah they did some horrible things to people, nothing overly honourable in a lot of stuff they did but by god you had to have some grudging respect for a group who collectively went at it so hard.

This was the nation who had the kamikaze. Suicide pilots. They treated prisoners badly (and I had an uncle in Changi) at least partially because they believed that if you allowed yourself to be captured alive you had no honour. The only way to beat them in the end was to nuke two cities. Stories persisted of Japanese soldiers who kept up the fight for years after the surrender.

They were like a nation of honey badgers when it came to war.

As far as the chinese go, I take everything the chinese say about the japanese (and vice versa) at the moment with a large grain of salt. That's all politics and posturing.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:22 pm

It was a poorly considered comment and an entirely unnecessary one. Was our current relationship with Japan really forged on the battle field? Hardly.

Aside from that argument over which side was more or less honourbale in any particular war are usually ridiculous. Mostly you'll find the victors were much more "honourable". Japan cover up their atrocities and don't teach them to their children? No surprise. Does China teach theirs about Tiananmen Square? Do we come completely clean about everything our soldiers may have done? No to both.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:30 pm

David wrote:
I'm already well aware of the many Japanese atrocities in South-East Asia, PP and 3. I'm also aware of appalling Allied atrocities in the same war (and probably blissfully unaware of many more). Neither fact means that individual Japanese or Nazi or Soviet or Australian or American soldiers were not "brave", did not conduct themselves with "honour" or do not deserve to be remembered. Neither does it mean that their or their governments' war crimes should be whitewashed, excused or downplayed. I stand by what I wrote.

My point is it's not about the bravery of Japanese troops and as far as I know Australian, American troops were not involved in the same sort of atrocities I (and others) have mentioned.

Tony Abbott did the wrong thing calling the Japanese Army honourable.
They (and their war aims) were far from "honourable" and the Chinese have every right to be upset!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:23 pm

What an absolutely idiotic and internationally offensive comment by Abbott; the bloke has all the global comprehension of a blind Antarctic cave fish. Or George W. Bush.

And for anyone who understands regional sentiment, it was downright frightening. The dill is lighting matches in a TNT factory like an utter sociopath.

If you think ailing elderly Australians are upset over this—and rightly they should be for goodness' sake—imagine how the countries which were brutally invaded and colonised by Japan feel. Are South Koreans to say they admired "the skill" and "honor" with which Japanese soldiers enslaved and raped Korean women, and worked Korean slaves to death?

My generation of Australians may have little inherited resentment against Japan, which is a good thing, but if you think the situation is the same in South Korea and China, you're an effing idiot who shouldn't be commenting on the matter, let alone making public international pronouncements.

Of course, you can rightly disagree with the nationalism of all sides in the region, as I do being someone who sees nationalism as a poisonous and damaging force, but you can't deny that the hatred runs deep and is permanently at risk of boiling over.

As we speak, South Koreans are trying to win further wartime compensation from Japan, protect their territorial integrity in active disputes with Japan, correct inaccuracies in Japanese textbooks and historical scholarship, shield North-South Korean relations from Japanese warhawks, and more. Right now.

These things might seem minor to Abbott, but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that a poor sequence of events could very easily see South Korea turn on Japan, and there would be nothing the US and its internal South Korean political allies could do about it. Nothing. And the sentiment in China is reportedly even more negative!

What a dangerous fool Abbott is. You haven't seen nationalism explode until you've seen it explode as part of historical, unresolved hatred of the type Abbott is blissfully unaware exists in the region.

Every time he holds a foreign policy press conference it's like watching a drunk idiot staggering around the dance floor only to collapse in a pile of his own vomit and be dragged out by bouncers.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 pm

What we consider brutal and barbaric from the Japanese soldier, was in their eyes honourable. They followed Bushido, and were following their own code of honour and therefore were honourable. We of course don't see it that way, but there has to be some acceptance of cultural relativity.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Wokko wrote:
What we consider brutal and barbaric from the Japanese soldier, was in their eyes honourable. They followed Bushido, and were following their own code of honour and therefore were honourable. We of course don't see it that way, but there has to be some acceptance of cultural relativity.

Mate, I'm one of the few cultural relativists getting around. But that technical philosophical argument has nothing to do with the immediate public task of international relations and stability. Nothing at all. Wrong platform, wrong time, and infinitely dangerous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10   

Jump to: