Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbotts foot in mouth thread...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

sixpoints wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Interesting that 'Mile' is actually a Michael.

Quote:
Michael John "Mile" Jedinak (born 3 August 1984) is an Australian football (soccer) player who currently plays for, and captains, Premier League club Crystal Palace and the Australian national team,[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_Jedinak

A career in the A League with Central Coast, a few years in Turkey, then to England where he captains a team in the EPL. 40 caps for Australia and now captain of Australia. Has been interviewed, cited & quoted for months in the media for the World Cup build up.
His entire career and every mention of him in the media has seen him use the name of Mile.
Never has this captain of Australia ever been referred to in the way that Abbott did.
A clueless, insulting gaffe. You can at least get your country's captains name correct you buffoon.

Yep, wiki him, as the PM clearly did, and you might get it wrong, but everyone who knows anything knows that his name is Mile.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:43 pm

I don't know, calling the Chinese delegation 'ratfuckers' was a slightly more horrendous gaffe than not knowing a soccer player's preferred method of shortening the name "Michael".
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:46 pm

That is interesting.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:53 pm

Wokko wrote:
I don't know, calling the Chinese delegation 'ratfuckers' was a slightly more horrendous gaffe than not knowing a soccer player's preferred method of shortening the name "Michael".

It's not a shortening of Michael.

But no, it's not serious, just funny really. PMs have to send messages about stuff they know little about all the time. This time that lack of knowledge has been exposed and Abbott's shown that he has little interest in Soccer. Not much different to most other "true Aussies" I guess.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:07 pm

I suppose it's an easy gaffe to make when Mile is close to Mike, still a little embarrassing for Tony to get the preferred name of the Socceroos captain wrong. Probably excusable considering he's probably not got much knowledge of the sport, would be more embarrassing for a seasoned commentator you'd think.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:42 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
sixpoints wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Interesting that 'Mile' is actually a Michael.

Quote:
Michael John "Mile" Jedinak (born 3 August 1984) is an Australian football (soccer) player who currently plays for, and captains, Premier League club Crystal Palace and the Australian national team,[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_Jedinak

A career in the A League with Central Coast, a few years in Turkey, then to England where he captains a team in the EPL. 40 caps for Australia and now captain of Australia. Has been interviewed, cited & quoted for months in the media for the World Cup build up.
His entire career and every mention of him in the media has seen him use the name of Mile.
Never has this captain of Australia ever been referred to in the way that Abbott did.
A clueless, insulting gaffe. You can at least get your country's captains name correct you buffoon.

Yep, wiki him, as the PM clearly did, and you might get it wrong, but everyone who knows anything knows that his name is Mile.

Everyone who knows anything about Soccer maybe. I've never heard of the bloke before this which is why I looked him up on Wiki.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:45 pm

It's the George W. pattern, based on the same George W. elitist aloofness, extremist conservative ideology, complete ignorance of the wider world, and economic fundamentalism that is the worry.

You give such an unaware dill that much influence, you take an enormous risk with everyone's lives and livelihoods.

And, as with the George W. era, no one believed things could really get so bad. Well, they did and they are threatening to again. It's the same error conservatives make time and time again: Oh, but how could someone who iterates such right conservative ideas that make me feel so warm and right and safe be such a destructive lying idiot? And then, it's too late.

As I say, it was gross negligence and an extremely irresponsible action to elect someone with a 30-year track record of nuttery and extremism to high office. Once again, the "conservative" "reputation" for "responsibility" is a complete fiction and a laughing stock at everyone else's expense.

The bloke is a tool of capital and far right quackery, and just a total tool in general. What a shocking risk to have taken with one of the luckiest citizenships in human history.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Maybe he was wishing Fifa’s chief investigator Michael J Garcia luck when he examines 'evidence of corruption' surrounding the Qatar 2022 vote.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:

AN_Inkling wrote:

Everyone who knows anything about Soccer maybe. I've never heard of the bloke before this which is why I looked him up on Wiki.

Yes, anything about Australian Soccer, he is our captain after all. I was obviously using a bit of hyperbowl there in suggesting anyone who knows anything would know.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:04 am

Wokko wrote:

Spot on.

Abbott's incoherence and regular verbal stumbles do not and should not disqualify him from holding high office. OK, he's starting to remind people of George Bush, but it is his lack of intellectual grasp and comprehensive moral failure across the board which should concern us.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:12 am

By the way, I have often been accused by some notorious posters here of being blind to Abbott's good points. That is not so! I readily recognise and respect Abbott's good points wherever I can find them. For example:

AN_Inkling wrote:
Abbott's shown that he has little interest in Soccer.

Just so, and there is Good Point #1 on his report card.

(I'll be sure to let you all know the very moment I discover Abbott Good Point #2. A determined optimist by nature, I remain confident that another Abbott Good Point will emerge any day now.)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:03 am

Tannin wrote:
By the way, I have often been accused by some notorious posters here of being blind to Abbott's good points. That is not so! I readily recognise and respect Abbott's good points wherever I can find them. For example:

AN_Inkling wrote:
Abbott's shown that he has little interest in Soccer.

Just so, and there is Good Point #1 on his report card.

(I'll be sure to let you all know the very moment I discover Abbott Good Point #2. A determined optimist by nature, I remain confident that another Abbott Good Point will emerge any day now.)

Good point #2 - he isn't Kevin Rudd Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Read More >UNESCO rejects Coalition's bid to delist Tasmanian World Heritage forest
Quote:
Prime Minister, State Government disappointed with decision

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the Government would study the UN's decision before deciding on its next move, but was disappointed in the development.

"The application that we made to remove from the boundaries of the World Heritage listing - areas of degraded forest, areas of plantation timber - we thought was self-evidently sensible," he said.

The listing was part of Tasmania's forestry peace deal negotiated between industry, unions and environmentalists.
Forests remain a battleground

The UNESCO world heritage decision for Tasmania's forests is the latest salvo in a decades-long environmental war.

Federal Labor environment spokesman Mark Butler described the decision as a stunning victory for those who spoke out in support of the forests and the World Heritage listing.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:34 pm

What deranged fool could look in a mirror and feel good about himself for trying to open up forest for logging, even at the less pristine margins?

Honestly, people often talk about the extreme idealism of the Greens, and so on, but the extremist ideology it must take to con yourself into thinking such a thing would be a worthwhile life achievement is beyond me.

These are not knowledgeable, insightful and decent people. They're literally brainwashed members of an ugly capital cult, kept sheltered from the wider world by in-group bum-slappers and favour-doers. Much more Waco than mainstream liberal democracy.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:04 pm

pietillidie wrote:
What deranged fool could look in a mirror and feel good about himself for trying to open up forest for logging, even at the less pristine margins?

Honestly, people often talk about the extreme idealism of the Greens, and so on, but the extremist ideology it must take to con yourself into thinking such a thing would be a worthwhile life achievement is beyond me.

These are not knowledgeable, insightful and decent people. They're literally brainwashed members of an ugly capital cult, kept sheltered from the wider world by in-group bum-slappers and favour-doers. Much more Waco than mainstream liberal democracy.

Usually I think of you as:

but today you're more:

Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10   

Jump to: