Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is our lack of leg speed in the midfield a worry?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

melliot wrote:
Plenty of examples of mid paced teams winning flags. Cats won three flags and besides Varco were pretty mid paced.

Winning the ball and quick reactions are more valuable.

Are you forgetting one G Ablett?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:07 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Damien wrote:
Our midfield has been criticised for lack of leg speed since the mid 2000's and then we won a flag. No use having leg speed if you don't get the pill...and ours get it.

Don't underestimate the speed of Daisy back then. He was our best finals player remember. We don't have anyone of that ilk in our team atm. And people tend to forget that Leon Davis was super quick as well. All Premiership teams have a couple of super quick players who can break the lines. right atm we don't have one......except maybe Swan.....but even he is slowing down imo.

I don't think pace is essential. The Saints were very slow and made two GFs.

I always prefer to have it than not though. The thing is with Adams and Thomas we're talking two mid-paced players, Adams may even be considered slow.

Right now we have: Herry (our most explosive player) and Young (decently quick) going through the midfield at stages. You can count Swan also with his burst speed. I do think we need one or two more pacier players, and I have no doubt that Seedsman, Kennedy, Freeman, Broomhead etc will all get their chances to take that spot. Williams and Sinclair will also spend some time in the middle, though Williams is not overly quick.

Then there's always Armstrong and Yagmoor, I know they have their fans Wink.

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:14 pm

^ Overall their premiership teams would not be quicker than ours. I'd suggest slower. Especially their mids. Cats are a quicker team now.

Swan Young Harry Blair Elliott Thomas Marley Sinclair Tooves Seeds all have good pace but more importantly evasive ability.
Pendles is considered mid paced, but rarely gets caught. Give me Peddles over a Zac Smith or Cyril any day.

Pace is great to have, but not at expense of football ability.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:27 pm

Dwyer when fit is a must have in our best 22. Tough, good speed, natural ball winner and a good ball user...need to get games into Thomas too but not at Ball's expenses...
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 pm

The Cats lack of pace was starting to be a worry for them though. This is why, as with us, most of their younger players are quick.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:50 pm

nomadjack wrote:
Dwyer when fit is a must have in our best 22. Tough, good speed, natural ball winner and a good ball user...need to get games into Thomas too but not at Ball's expenses...

Yeah, which is why I was disappointed to see Dwyer dropped this week.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:37 am

melliot wrote:
^ Overall their premiership teams would not be quicker than ours. I'd suggest slower. Especially their mids. Cats are a quicker team now.

Swan Young Harry Blair Elliott Thomas Marley Sinclair Tooves Seeds all have good pace but more importantly evasive ability.
Pendles is considered mid paced, but rarely gets caught. Give me Peddles over a Zac Smith or Cyril any day.

Pace is great to have, but not at expense of football ability.

Exactly. Should have good skills first and foremost, pace is a bonus.
the pie guy 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:38 am

Pace is over rated as some have pointed out, Hawks don't have that many quicks but they are great at the stoppages and clearances.

For mine a bigger worry is if we don't get clearances, as against Adelaide.
If we have the ball we don't look slow its only when we haven't got it .
My opinion is that we could have another inside mid (Adams or Thomas), who will get in and get it as well as spread and defend after its out. Both these players have pace, just not elite pace but more importantly both are willing to do the hard work.

The other problem is that if we allow the opposition to get it in our forward line without pressure being applied, then pace is irrelevant as they can run it out. just as we do when coming out of our backline.

Defensive pressure and stoppage work is IMO more important than pace.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Scribe wrote:
Leg speed is one of the most horribly-overrated things in football.

Apart from Cyril Rioli, can you name me any lightning-quick blokes at Hawthorn?

Yes, every team requires a few blokes who break the lines and leg speed is a fine commodity to have, but give me the guys who can run all day over the ones who look flashy for 30 metres.

Some of the changes I agree with, but not because of leg speed.

Luke Ball would be well aware that as Thomas and Adams develop, his Collingwood career is nearing the end.

Isaac Smith, Bradley Hill.

I agree with the premise of this post around leg speed vs ball movement.

I do note that we have had an eye on pace in the draft though. This year's repeat sprints featured 3 of our players in the top 10

Repeat sprints
1. Nathan Freeman (23.62 seconds)
2. Darcy Byrne-Jones (24.06)
3. Jonathon Marsh (24.1Cool
4. Daniel Flynn (24.25)
5. Josh Kelly (24.31)
6. Nick Bourke (24.31)
7. Daniel Cox (24.31)
8. Louis Herbert (24.3Cool
9. Tom Langdon (24.45)
10. Tom Vandeleur (24.49)

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:57 pm

is lace of pace an issue - yes, it is. And it is not that you have to do a 100 meter sprint, but 4/5 yards to get clear.

I can't believe Dwyer and Thomas can't get a game. It will probably only be after a loss, or injuries, that we will get much player movement.

i think we would look much more dangerous with Dwyer / Thomas / Adams than Blair / Toovey / Ball.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:10 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
nomadjack wrote:

Yeah, which is why I was disappointed to see Dwyer dropped this week.

Me too. Fact he has played as the sub the last couple of weeks coming off an interrupted preseason might have worked against him. Hopefully a full game in the seconds this week then back into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: