Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#46 Mason Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
haven't really followed this story. any reason why we should be excited by this prospect?

That a number of quality teams were after him & he selected us. I think the Swans & Geelong were all after him too (can't quite recall).

His innate skills, agility & pace for a man his size was seen as a "huge" upside. He'd also moved successfully between sports in the US.

Again, this is trying to recall what they were saying at the time

Cheers.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 pm

collie dog wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
Yes because we need another international rookie who has no concept about our game whatsoever, and we need to continue to invest more money and resources into finding more of these players when we have a whole pool of them in our own backyard.

Exactly. This club is a joke.

Well your much loved 'top successful' teams (Geelong, Sydney etc) were into him too. The only joke around here is you, and it's as funny as Harry's meat joke.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:35 pm

watt price tully wrote:
John Wren wrote:
haven't really followed this story. any reason why we should be excited by this prospect?

That a number of quality teams were after him & he selected us. I think the Swans & Geelong were all after him too (can't quite recall).

His innate skills, agility & pace for a man his size was seen as a "huge" upside. He'd also moved successfully between sports in the US.

Again, this is trying to recall what they were saying at the time

Cheers.

Also he is taller then Saindlands Twisted Evil

Sydney might of been but Geelong wasnt as they did not go to the US Combine

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:41 pm

No interest at all.

We need midfield speed and good disposal, not a guy who can't make it in the NBA.

stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:34 pm

I went to a Collingwood function on Thursday night and Rocca had nothing but praise for Cox. He said that he is so impressed with how he is already progressing... Things like marking the ball at its highest point... Now being taller than Sandilands and more athletic with a greater leap, he'll NEVER be outmarked (ok sometimes). But Rocca said his timing at going for marks was already at an elite level. He went on to say, don't be surprised if he actually plays some AFL games in 2015.

All sounds good to me. Given the fact that he doesn't have a "kicking action" which is already set, we can teach him a technically sound and correct way to kick... Bring in Lloyd or Dids Smile

All the best to the big bloke.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:53 pm

stoid wrote:
I went to a Collingwood function on Thursday night and Rocca had nothing but praise for Cox. He said that he is so impressed with how he is already progressing... Things like marking the ball at its highest point... Now being taller than Sandilands and more athletic with a greater leap, he'll NEVER be outmarked (ok sometimes). But Rocca said his timing at going for marks was already at an elite level. He went on to say, don't be surprised if he actually plays some AFL games in 2015.

All sounds good to me. Given the fact that he doesn't have a "kicking action" which is already set, we can teach him a technically sound and correct way to kick... Bring in Lloyd or Dids Smile

If he did not take a Mark then it would be Chopping the Arms Twisted Evil

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:20 am

stoid wrote:

Thanks Stoid. Good stuff. By the way some negative nellies carry on you'd think it was costing them personally.

Congratulations to the club & the young man. Hope he does turn out to be a good one.

buzzlightyear 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:01 am

As you might expect given the previous sports he played, his physique is still undersized in relation to his peers. Let's hope for significant weight training to add to his frame.

Maybe a journey to Jamaica to pick up a few handy onballers wouldn't go astray... Wink

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:35 pm

buzzlightyear wrote:
As you might expect given the previous sports he played, his physique is still undersized in relation to his peers. Let's hope for significant weight training to add to his frame.

Maybe a journey to Jamaica to pick up a few handy onballers wouldn't go astray... Wink

If we are going to Jamaica to pick up some players....well, you know, 2 birds one stone! Cool

Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:35 am

collie dog wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
Yes because we need another international rookie who has no concept about our game whatsoever, and we need to continue to invest more money and resources into finding more of these players when we have a whole pool of them in our own backyard.

Exactly. This club is a joke.

Guys, I'm not too sure if you're up with the rules on international rookies, but Coxy won't be taking any position on our list from local blokes. He's an international rookie, meaning he is outside our senior and rookie list players. The only way he'll take someone's spot is if he is actually playing better than the other guy(s) and earns his promotion.

A club like ours can afford to invest in such players given our financial strength. If only 1 or 2 out of 10 come off, so be it. Rookies are on less than $100k per year. Dale Thomas earns that about 2 games lol...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:17 am

stoid wrote:

Guys, I'm not too sure if you're up with the rules on international rookies, but Coxy won't be taking any position on our list from local blokes. He's an international rookie, meaning he is outside our senior and rookie list players. The only way he'll take someone's spot is if he is actually playing better than the other guy(s) and earns his promotion.

A club like ours can afford to invest in such players given our financial strength. If only 1 or 2 out of 10 come off, so be it. Rookies are on less than $100k per year. Dale Thomas earns that about 2 games lol...

Gee that's good info, I didn't know that. So it's win win. Kid already looks to have more "body" than Sandilands, so a good weights programme should be easy.

The hard part is the "teach him to kick in a technically sound and correct way"!. Lloyd or Dids, or anyone who can fricken kick straight, that's surely a priority over the preseason. It would be so nice to watch us kick from a set shot further than 10metres out, without the urge to watch between the fingers, and kill the tummy butterflies!

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:47 am

I know times have changed and clubs are now looking beyond the traditional footballing types we've become so accustomed to seeing on the field.

If he's good enough then good luck to him. I didn't realise that it wasn't costing us an arm and a leg to have him in the side. Sounds like he has a lot of upside and his skills are far beyond what the club expected of him at this point in time. Also watched his interview on the club website and he sounds like a determined yet grounded sort of guy who is prepared to work hard and give it a go.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:13 am

I think the excitement about Mason was not so much his Height however a combination of his Height and Agility. He was very quick for a Big bloke and moved well at ground level.
Below was off the AFL site at the time and before he committed to us.
The background in Basketball is ok however its the Soccer background that gives me a little confidence when you look at how far Keefe has come and the understanding about endurance versus quick sprints up the court.

I look at what the Cats have done with Blizzard.

"His agility impressed those in Los Angeles and was again on show on Tuesday, when Cox managed to pick the ball up at pace at ground level.

He moved quickly at the ball, was placed in the ruck and marking contests and showed a grasp of kicking skills, which clubs think he will be able to adapt to relatively smoothly over time.

Cox's height made him the tallest athlete ever tested at an AFL Combine in Australia or abroad. He ran the 20-metre sprint in three seconds flat, and 11.59 minutes for the three-kilometre time trial."

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:23 am

Is it just me or does he look like the stereotypical image of the All-American pin-up boy?

I have a tendency to see the possibilities rather than the limitations with these guys, but there are a couple of reasons why I think he has a chance to make it.

He isn't really a failed basketballer. He played soccer from 5 to 18, then switched to basketball after shooting up in size, basically to get himself a college education.

A long junior career in soccer will be advantageous. Firstly there's the kicking skills, I'd expect him to be able to be 'technically taught' to drop punt on both sides. Secondly, as a territory invasion sport the ball movement and strategies are similarish so his 'game sense' ought to be transferable to some extent.

His early handballs are a helluva lot more coordinated than Shae's.

Keeffe is slowly but surely turning a junior soccer career into a senior AFL career. Hopefully Mason can do the same

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 am

From the USAFL website (May 2014)

http://usafl.com/news/2014/05/12/combine-records-set-again

"Six clubs North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Collingwood, Richmond, Fremantle and the Sydney Swans attended the three days of testing in America".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 14 of 178   

Jump to: