Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#46 Mason Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be able to kick well in general play E but he has great hands. Big brained footy player that one
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:15 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
No, I don't hate Moore at all. He's just being gifted games, in my opinion, and I don't like to see that. In the last two weeks, the team has been absolutely on fire and he's had a total of 11 kicks and kicked 2 goals. He looks an outstanding prospect but he just doesn't get enough of the ball. Maybe he will next week against the Welfare's backline full of half-back flankers, since he did last time but I'd prefer him to earn the games. His most impressive game this season was probably his Carlton outing but, even in that one, he didn't actually have a kick in the first half and then came home with a wettish sail.

Do you reckon Cloke would've kicked that clutch final quarter goal?

My guess is no if his past history is any indication.

Moore is raw but is too good and too important to be running around in the VFL. It's counter productive for him, us and our/his development.

Personally I'm loving watching our no frills forward line that doesn't live or die on the output of a single "big name" forward as it has done for the past 5 years. Moore is a cog along with White, Fasolo, Cox, Crocker, Blair and we've looked far more dangerous for it.

There is still a place for Cloke when in form for sure but not at Darcy , Cox or White's expense while it is functioning so well at present.

So we look more dangerous with Darcy Moore getting a handful of possessions and missing from 15m out directly in front than Cloke getting 3 times as many touches, marks and kicking more goals even with the odd miss from directly in front?

Yeah, that makes sense...

Set shots for Darcy Moore in 2016, something like: 12-4. Not too bad.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:16 am

The kick he stuffed up is probably the highest risk kick in footy. He'll learn from that cos he is a smart bloke. Every week is an education for the big fella and he is an exemplary student.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:37 am

Did anyone else notice that before the first bounce 5 Cats players surrounded Mason and attempted to rough him up and put him off his game. They attempted the same tactic at the beginning of other quarters. He certainly weathered the storm and made them pay.

Pathetic tactic in my opinion and attempting to do this to inexperienced players is not a good look for the game. I saw the Pies do it once and held the same opinion.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Did anyone else notice that before the first bounce 5 Cats players surrounded Mason and attempted to rough him up and put him off his game. They attempted the same tactic at the beginning of other quarters. He certainly weathered the storm and made them pay.

Pathetic tactic in my opinion and attempting to do this to inexperienced players is not a good look for the game. I saw the Pies do it once and held the same opinion.
Spot on, massive fail to try to get into his head. US basketball in close is ugly and that's why he laughed it off.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:46 pm

Member 7167 wrote:

Yep, saw that and also saw the big bloke was far from intimidated. Trying that shit is just going to fire him up.

he was also stiff in the first when a long ball came to him and two cats basically gang raped him while the ball was still 20m away in the air. The umpires must have thought he was Cloke, so of course no free kick. So you can't touch a bloke in the back in the marking contest but you can wrap your arms around him like a tackle to stop him putting his arms up to mark. Right. Rolling Eyes

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:56 pm

E wrote:
yin-YANG wrote:
I am waiting for a response from E…

C'mon E you know you want to do it… Smile

Sorry guys, i just came off the Ocean course at Kiawah Island. A beautiful night of football turned into a beautiful day of golf and i owe it all to america the beautiful. Iplayed nearly as well as Mason today incidentally.

Mason Cox is my man these days Yin Yang. i am definitely eating humble pie (and really happy to do so).

he had done many things over the past 3 weeks that were somewhat impressive, but not really indicative that the boys could end up a long term player. aside from his ruck work, the boy has beautiful hands and a big brain. Some of the knock-ons and handball under pressure were really really good today. However, it was the mark he took in the third on the lead that finally convinced me the boy can play.

Mind you, he can't kick in general play, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantage. we just need to do what i used to do when i played in the USAFL - whenever a yank takes a big mark in general play, get your ass over there for the cheap stat to avoid the need for them to kick......

Good on you E… his running goal was good for a big guy never mind a big guy who has only played the game for a couple of years!

At the very least Cox is a lesson to the other guys about how footy can be pretty simple if you stick to the basics!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:00 pm

And he has a sense of humor.

Just tweeted this:

Quote:

Mason CoxVerified account
‏@masonsixtencox
That awkward moment when you have to go to an Auskick clinic and teach kids how to play footy who have played longer than you. #under40games

Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:49 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
No, I don't hate Moore at all. He's just being gifted games, in my opinion, and I don't like to see that. In the last two weeks, the team has been absolutely on fire and he's had a total of 11 kicks and kicked 2 goals. He looks an outstanding prospect but he just doesn't get enough of the ball. Maybe he will next week against the Welfare's backline full of half-back flankers, since he did last time but I'd prefer him to earn the games. His most impressive game this season was probably his Carlton outing but, even in that one, he didn't actually have a kick in the first half and then came home with a wettish sail.

Do you reckon Cloke would've kicked that clutch final quarter goal?

My guess is no if his past history is any indication.

Moore is raw but is too good and too important to be running around in the VFL. It's counter productive for him, us and our/his development.

Personally I'm loving watching our no frills forward line that doesn't live or die on the output of a single "big name" forward as it has done for the past 5 years. Moore is a cog along with White, Fasolo, Cox, Crocker, Blair and we've looked far more dangerous for it.

There is still a place for Cloke when in form for sure but not at Darcy , Cox or White's expense while it is functioning so well at present.

So we look more dangerous with Darcy Moore getting a handful of possessions and missing from 15m out directly in front than Cloke getting 3 times as many touches, marks and kicking more goals even with the odd miss from directly in front?

Yeah, that makes sense...

3 times as many possessions hey?

I must've missed all of Clokes 36 possession, 18 mark 3 + goal efforts this year then lol.

Going by Cloke's average AFL output this season where he was averaging 11.75 disposals, 4.75 marks and 1.25 goals per game I'd put Moore's 12 possession, 6 mark, 1 goal game yesterday ahead of what Cloke would've produced no matter how much you want to mark up his numbers.

Oh and our winning percentage this year with Trav in the side was 25%. Without him it's 60%. Interesting food for thought....
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:13 pm

There is simply no plausible basis for selecting Moore ahead of Cloke beyond player development. Moore hasn't had a single good game this year (although he did have a reasonable second half against Carlton after failing to get a kick in the first half). Cloke was dropped after 2 games in succession in which he had more of the ball than Moore has had in any game this season. That could have been done (and no doubt was) for all sorts of reasons - but one of them wasn't that Moore was playing better. In fact, the stats show that in those 2 games, Cloke had 24 kicks - precisely, as fate would have it, 3 times the 8 Moore had over those 2 games. If you count handballs, Cloke only had twice as many disposals as Moore but he did kick 4 times as many goals.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:01 pm

Moore missed that goal because of the booing of the Cats fans because it was a contentious free when it appeared on the big screen. I walked down to get a pie and didn't watch it because I thought he might miss. He's a young player and that hasn't happened to him before.

He will learn from that experience and nail them in the future. Unfortunately Cloke's leaning back mechanism in his kicking technique will continue to make him a random misser. I noticed him leaning over more noticeably in some of the VFL coverage of his goals from last night, but it was only as he was lining up.

Note to Trav: You need to keep that position for longer - its not just your grip you must keep that hunch over the ball until you let it go so that your head is looking at the ball when you drop it.

Watch from 0:39 - 0:55 and 1:50 - 2:10 of this Lockett video to witness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFkNruKMENs

now watch Trav [albeit kicking a goal]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pIIQmCgfP4

Check out this comparison... the key frames are the last 3 of each. Note Trav's back's more exaggerated angle away from vertical. That's the crux of his problem. He's working on his ball drop but its that last bit that keeps killing him. Keep in mind that video is Trav at his best, I'm guessing that when he's falling apart his arms and not bringing the ball down low enough and his head is not looking down at the ball at the last moment, they are probably looking at the goal, which is the wrong technique. Thankfully our other kickers, Moore & Fasolo have great techniques, even Mason Cox. Is it too late for Travis.. maybe, but I hope not. When he's up and about he's just the beast our forward line needs to contend with experienced backlines.

trav vs tony2.jpg

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 pm

He has a great sense of humour.

Cox.jpg

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Just tweeted this:

Quote:

‏@masonsixtencox
That awkward moment when you have to go to an Auskick clinic and teach kids how to play footy who have played longer than you. #under40games
Sorry didn't see this. Yes he has. Shocked Very Happy
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:10 pm

I hope he sticks it out and makes a career of it, hopefully homesickness doesn't come into play.

Might be a good idea to draft him onto the main list so we can scour the States for another CatB rookie.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Just tweeted this:

Quote:

‏@masonsixtencox

Mason is a funny man.
My youngest child went up to Mason and said he was his biggest fan.
Mason looked at him all 140cm and said "I think you are my smallest fan"!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 34 of 178   

Jump to: