Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#46 Mason Cox

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the pie guy 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My main concern is that Cox is around 22/23 years old and as I said in a previous posting, we should explore the possibility of getting a yank at 18 or 19 and putting him through Uni. and into our VFL side while studying, that way by the time he graduates (22/23) he knows the game.

Having said that.
1. He does not cost us a pick or place on the list
2. His salary is outside the salary cap
3. We can teach him the skills to an acceptable level in a year, elite level will take a few years.
4. Fitness will be a problem for the first 2 years as American athletes need to build their aerobic capacity for our game (just ask Holmes at ST K and Wallace at NM) and even Brodie is still getting there.
4. The one thing that will take longer (and may never be picked up) is his reading of the play. This is what all non AFL players struggle with, the ability to anticipate and react when the ball is still a 100 metres away, but then again there are plenty of drafted players that have never developed that ability. When I played in Qld we had several rugby players come across and that was always the problem.

Having said all that I still believe it is a worthwhile exercise, and with our financial might and facilities why not give it a go.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:33 pm

This is one area where we can use our wealth and prestige at no cost to any other recruiting program.

I simply can't understand any negativity - hell, take all of them and make sure no other club gets an advantage that we could have taken.

The only risk is financial.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:44 pm

the pie guy wrote:
My main concern is that Cox is around 22/23 years old and as I said in a previous posting, we should explore the possibility of getting a yank at 18 or 19 and putting him through Uni. and into our VFL side while studying, that way by the time he graduates (22/23) he knows the game.

Having said that.
3. We can teach him the skills to an acceptable level in a year, elite level will take a few years.
4. Fitness will be a problem for the first 2 years as American athletes need to build their aerobic capacity for our game (just ask Holmes at ST K and Wallace at NM) and even Brodie is still getting there.
4. The one thing that will take longer (and may never be picked up) is his reading of the play. This is what all non AFL players struggle with, the ability to anticipate and react when the ball is still a 100 metres away, but then again there are plenty of drafted players that have never developed that ability. When I played in Qld we had several rugby players come across and that was always the problem.

Having said all that I still believe it is a worthwhile exercise, and with our financial might and facilities why not give it a go.

An elite 18-19 year old athlete would still have dreams of making it in their preferred sport though, and an 18 year old would be much more unlikely to move to another country to play a sport he knows nothing about.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:11 pm

This. Most young athletes are still hoping for a career in the NBA or NFL etc. it's only after their chance has passed them by, they look at other options.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:21 pm

the pie guy wrote:

Having said that.

Never Get a Yank at 18-19 as they go to College

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Lazza wrote:
slydog81 wrote:
Howd it work out with old mate Shae?

Pass.

If Shae was about 4 or 5 years younger, he would have been a simply brilliant proposition. If at all, Collingwood should learn from it and recruit them at a younger age.
Go fot it 'pies!

That's right, Shae was late 20s when he tried and just because he didn't quite get there I don't consider his time at the pies negatively.
Lutts 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:47 pm

The hype around the American Combine (and Cox) has been going on for a while. If Hine thought he was worth a shot he would already be signed! This is just a media blowout, sure the other clubs with fewer resources may still be looking at him, but Hine would of already done the research and the decision made. If he was worth a go he would either be wearing Black & White already, or told to keep a low profile to discourage the other clubs.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE - MOVE ON.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Hine must have been there today for show then, and I guess he likes wasting his time showing him around the club for a day.

You like this.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:20 pm

My concern would be if he chooses any one of the other 3 over us!
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:39 pm

If he does we'll know he's a muppet and not worth the trouble.

You like this.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Lutts wrote:
The hype around the American Combine (and Cox) has been going on for a while. If Hine thought he was worth a shot he would already be signed! This is just a media blowout, sure the other clubs with fewer resources may still be looking at him, but Hine would of already done the research and the decision made. If he was worth a go he would either be wearing Black & White already, or told to keep a low profile to discourage the other clubs.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE - MOVE ON.

You know that Cox has to agree to sign a contract first right? It's not like Hine can just say, "you play for Collingwood now. Pack your bags you're leaving your family and friends to live on the other side of the planet to play a sport you know barely anything about."
It's a bloody big decision for these guys to make, and I doubt any of them would take it lightly.
Az 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:09 pm

I can imagine he already made his decision when he took a tour of the westpac centre. The only thing Norf have that could entice him is Eric Wallace who himself became a rookie from the states last year. I laugh at the thought of ninethmond convincing him to join those bunch of pelicans. And Adelaide is well... Adelaide.

Lock it in Ed
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:44 am

WE HAVE ONE,AND HIS NAME IS JARROD WITTS.

BUT, having said that, our last yank didn't work out too good, but this big unit could be worth a punt, yeh, why not.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:46 am

Az wrote:
I can imagine he already made his decision when he took a tour of the westpac centre. The only thing Norf have that could entice him is Eric Wallace who himself became a rookie from the states last year. I laugh at the thought of ninethmond convincing him to join those bunch of pelicans. And Adelaide is well... Adelaide.

Lock it in Ed

No, Norf also have a Thursday night sausage sizzle and cordial, that could well seal the deal for em. Razz Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:56 am

Piesnchess wrote:

No, Norf also have a Thursday night sausage sizzle and cordial, that could well seal the deal for em. Razz Razz

I thought sausage sizzles were the domain of that mob at Price Fixer Park...? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 4 of 178   

Jump to: