Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welfare

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should all citizens be granted a minimum standard of living?
Yes, unconditionally.
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
Only if they are pulling their weight or are physically/mentally incapable of doing so.
53%
 53%  [ 16 ]
No. We are not entitled to anything from our government.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (please specify in post).
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:

1061, I hope you went and asked them first to please do something about it. I can appreciate why you'd report that (health reasons/disease etc), but in most cases a quick word will solve these kinds of issues.

He was having "issues" we'd taken a trip to Kilmore and back one day got home about 9.30pm to a note asking us to "shut our dog up". Every time I tried to talk to him he walked off so I thought F U!

think positive wrote:

OMG really! What happened?

http://www.nisbets.com.au/Birko-Insect-Killer-Small/DL561/ProductDetail.raction?VAT_INCLUSIVE_MARKER=TRUE&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=ECN&utm_campaign=ECN_cpc&utm_term=Cleaning+and+Hygiene&cm_mmc=ECN+Lengow-_-Cleaning+and+Hygiene-_-Flykillers-_-DL561&sdc_id=1424330074z745985z55073b0a5331zz&CA_6C15C=120155510000070300

I bought one of these and put it on a timer in the laundry to run for the nighttime hours. If nothing else it's a great night light.

We still mow our combined nature strips when we cut the front lawns so we aren't too bad.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Wokko wrote:
Culprit wrote:
If you know they are ripping the system off make the call and do something about it.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/information/fraud-and-security

Dobbing people in to the authorities? I'd rather not. Used to be one of the worst things you could do in this country. All this dobbing people in business (EPA etc) is another part of our cultural slide.

What next? Dob in your neighbour because they speak out against the Government? Dob in you mate because he had a laugh about making some extra on his tax return? **** that.
That's the choice wokko, you either put them in or shut up and look the other way.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Whatever - they can get stuffed we're planning on retiring to the cottage in Spain and we will spend our money as we want - what we would get as a pension we will save on airfares anyway and we don't have to put up a bloody pool fence!!!!
partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 pm

Something needs to done about the family home being exempt from the age pension assessment, not so much because of the pension itself but the health care card that comes with it entitles quite well off people to a lot of other subsidised services where demand is much greater than supply, such as home help, intended to keep people out of nursing homes. Home help staff are under the pump to clean and maintain these large homes in the short time frame allotted to them.
It's highly unlikely because most of the people who are in that category vote for the party in power at the moment.
TP, I am pretty sure nursing home standards have risen, even in the short time since your mum was in one. My mother is generally well cared for, although some staff seem pretty callous.
1061, keep up the good work, and don't burn out.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:22 pm

So someone who bought their home many years ago in an area that wasn't considered desirable at the time - think inner city, old working class , now yuppified - is now of an age to get the pension but can't because some nong in Canberra has decided an arbitration number means they are too well off to get the pension???

Rich apparently cause their house is valued at x amount of dollars - but many already live without heat, without cooling and without adequate food as they may be asset ( they own their home) rich but are income poor and you want them to not be able to get the pension because they own a home and house and land values have increased?

Why the hell should people who own their own homes be forced to sell and move whilst people who have either never bothered to work or have worked and spent their money on having a good life get government support no strings attached??

Different if you have to go into care - you have to move so reasonable to sell your home -to pay for where you you are going to live ( no interest in inheritance don't believe in " birth right).

If this is the way of the future then buggar going without to pay off your own home, buggar saving, buggar putting more money in super - enjoy it, blow every cent having a good time or buggar working at all!!

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:03 am

Not saying that at all, Morrigu. I'm saying that people living in million dollar houses should be paying a greater share than they do for aged care services, with you and me, taxpayers paying less.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:12 am

partypie wrote:
Not saying that at all, Morrigu. I'm saying that people living in million dollar houses should be paying a greater share than they do for aged care services, with you and me, taxpayers paying less.

When I was a kid houses were cheap in Altona. Down near the beach there are still a lot of older people living in their little old houses, on nice big blocks just waiting for the current generation to come along and tear down the little weather boards and build their room with a view. You see the oldies go for a stroll down the beach. There is no flash car in the driveway, the paint is peeling on the house, they are not wearing Gucci loafers. They may have lived in that house for 50 years. Why should they not be able to live out their lives in their house? Why should they not be able to heat that little house, have food on the table because the land is now worth close to a million bucks because it's within walking distance of the sea? Why should they not be entitled to the same pension their coworker now receives, the one who chose to buy their weatherboard in Brooklyn?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:11 pm

What a fkn strange conversation going on here.

The value of someone's home should be utterly irrelevant for a means test as long as they're living in it. You can't spend a valuation.

My mother is ineligible for the pension, not because of her house being worth too much or because she has too much money, but because her name is on the deed to my place so the house is considered her asset and the money I pay onto the mortgage (and I've paid all of it) is counted against her as well.

So she scrimps and saves (even though I tell her not to) while other people with direct access to a lot more coin get the pension. Yeah, the system is real fair. Rolling Eyes

And yeah, I've tried a couple of times in years gone by to change the arrangement anticipating this kind of thing but mums (dickhead) accountant made ever option out to seem too hard so she baulked at change and left it as it was.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
What a fkn strange conversation going on here.

The value of someone's home should be utterly irrelevant for a means test as long as they're living in it. You can't spend a valuation.

My mother is ineligible for the pension, not because of her house being worth too much or because she has too much money, but because her name is on the deed to my place so the house is considered her asset and the money I pay onto the mortgage (and I've paid all of it) is counted against her as well.

So she scrimps and saves (even though I tell her not to) while other people with direct access to a lot more coin get the pension. Yeah, the system is real fair. Rolling Eyes

And yeah, I've tried a couple of times in years gone by to change the arrangement anticipating this kind of thing but mums (dickhead) accountant made ever option out to seem too hard so she baulked at change and left it as it was.

Try another Accountant as the one you have now sounds like he is to Lazy to do it.

They have some weird rules down at Centerlink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11   

Jump to: