Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

DO Swans have a salary cap or what ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:59 pm
Post subject: DO Swans have a salary cap or what ??Reply with quote

Confused Just watching the swans do a number on the hapless Bombers, the thought occurred to me, looking at their side, with buddy, tippet, hannaberry, goodes, McVeigh, reid, kennedy, etc etc, do these bastards have a salary cap or what . ?? Does the bloody League still pump millions into these show ponies, I just cant figure out, with billion dollar buddy there for millions, how the hell they can still be under the cap, like tippet has to be on at least what cloke gets, how the hell do they stay under the salary cap ??

Please enlighten me folks, I am at a loss to understand . Rolling Eyes Confused Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

HUH ?? NO comments after 12 hours or so, looks like nobody cares if the swannies can rort the salarly cap or not. !? They will probably win the flag now, with billionaire buddy and Tippet up front of goals ! Oh well, such is life I guess. !

EBB 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Stupid thread, of course they don't.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:12 pm

I think it's common knowledge. The cost of living allowance which was used to get buddy is being cancelled over time. The swans are now not signing new contracts until they sort out the mess.

To be fair to them, they unearth loads of talent and do well with discarded players. Apart from buddy and Tippett, the rest of those names they have either developed or recycled well.

Look at racer last night. Played well years after we wrote him off.

Ding forget they had to give away Mumford.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:54 pm

I bet the Hawks would quite like Kennedy back, just now.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:40 pm

No the Swans have always got a leg up from the AFL. They are so desperate to crack the Sydney market, but I don't know why because no one in Sydney really gives a stuff about AFL except the 50,000 or so diehards (usually ex-Victorians). 50K out of a population of 4 million. Good going AFL. Razz
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:00 pm

I would assume Buddy's contract is heavily back ended, after Tippetts contract ends.

Theres a fair amount of accounting done with all players at all football clubs.
Im sure some even have floating contracts, where in year 3, Swanny would get 500,000, unless a player of higher value needs to be retained, where the contract can be altered, so he gets 400 the 3rd year, and the extra hundred the year after etc etc.
Now its up to the player and player manager to accept this, as players need to pay bills etc, or there building a house for there family etc, and need the money in year 1, rather then year 5 etc etc

This is also why it takes along time for players to re-sign.
It may appear this year and for the next couple there overs on there Salary Cap, but prepare for some lean years following.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:44 am

Big T wrote:
I think it's common knowledge. The cost of living allowance which was used to get buddy is being cancelled over time. The swans are now not signing new contracts until they sort out the mess.

To be fair to them, they unearth loads of talent and do well with discarded players. Apart from buddy and Tippett, the rest of those names they have either developed or recycled well.

Look at racer last night. Played well years after we wrote him off.

Ding forget they had to give away Mumford.

I'm pleased that the AFL has taken the COLA away from the Swans. It was outrageous that they were able to have it as it provided them with an unfair advantage over other sides to obtain players via free agency for example and being able to keep players who were out of contract. I think this idea of Sydney needing COLA was ridiculous and absurd.

I think if Buddy didn't sign with the Swans last year, then Sydney would still have COLA for the foreseeable future at the very least, but him signing for the Swans generated this discussion about whether Sydney was entitled to COLA and therefore the AFL took action after too much outrage from the general footy public and rightly so.

The Swans are now whining that COLA has been taken away recently as shown by this article in which outgoing Sydney president Richard Colless criticised the decision to remove the COLA scheme:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/sydneys-richard-colless-savages-the-abolition-of-his-sides-cost-of-living-allowance/story-fni5fan7-1226844054657

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:47 am

EBB wrote:
Stupid thread, of course they don't.

IF they beat us in a Final, with buddy and tippet starring, you might want to re think that, its not stupid to wonder how they wrangle things in Sincity, they remind me of the new Scum, get away with rorts. Confused

EBB 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:50 pm

I said they don't have a cap.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:16 pm

EBB wrote:
I said they don't have a cap.

Embarassed sorry mate, my bad, read it wrongly, yes, you are spot on, they don't have one, or if they do, the figures are more dodgy than a billion dollar banknote. Wink

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:33 pm

I see that now COLA is going the AFL will still support their Sydney lovechild.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-costofliving-allowance-on-way-out-but-rent-subsidy-on-way-in-20140520-zrj5l.html

Ah, nothing like the AFL desperately trying to shore up the Sydney market with a flag or three. Evil or Very Mad

slydog81 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 am

COLA cheats.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:02 pm

collie dog wrote:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/swans-costofliving-allowance-on-way-out-but-rent-subsidy-on-way-in-20140520-zrj5l.html

Ah, nothing like the AFL desperately trying to shore up the Sydney market with a flag or three. Evil or Very Mad

AND folks, notice how the swannies always MUST have a marquee glamour guy up front, booting lots of lovely goals for the theatre crowd, like Lockett, Hall, Buddy, now Tippett ??. What is it with this mob . Rolling Eyes Question

Big T 

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
collie dog wrote:

AND folks, notice how the swannies always MUST have a marquee glamour guy up front, booting lots of lovely goals for the theatre crowd, like Lockett, Hall, Buddy, now Tippett ??. What is it with this mob . Rolling Eyes Question

Um, its called being successful in Sydney. They do it cos they have to, given the fickle and easily distracted market.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: