Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre match. Pies v. Eagles - all comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And for those of you who like to pick the team on paper and ignore the actual form of the players in the seconds, it will be as well to add that neither Sinclair nor Seedsman looks ready for a recall.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:47 pm

VFL form's only a loose guide, especially given this week's opponent. It's a different game to the seniors, and the selection committee will be looking at more than just disposals and goals in deciding whether certain players are ready to move up (fitness would be the number one consideration).

Sinclair did only play a half though, after a long period out, so of course he's not ready for a recall.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:58 pm

My comment was only about their fitness. But, in Sinclair's case, not really touching the ball in a 115 point thrashing is also a bit of a hint.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:22 pm

In: Brown Adams Karnezis

Out: Keeffe Dwyer Goldsack

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
My comment was only about their fitness. But, in Sinclair's case, not really touching the ball in a 115 point thrashing is also a bit of a hint.

Well he did not play the 2nd Half

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 am

That's also a hint, DTM!
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:12 am

Need to make a few hard calls, I reckon.

IN: Thomas, Adams, Fasolo, Brown.

OUT: Sidebottom (one of my favs but needs a wake up call), Blair, Ball, Keeffe.

Would like to see Martin in that mix somehow but can't see how we can promote him at this stage.

Two or three others would want put in some consistent performances over the next 4 weeks with guys like Karnezis, Kennedy, Seedsman and Broomhead also pushing for selection.

Last week was an aberration, we're still in a pretty healthy position.

We will smash the West Coast, looking forward to our 1st 10 goal+ win of the year.

melliot 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:12 pm

Keeffe out for Brown
Young or Goldy out for Faz

Goldsack on thin ice if he continues his fumbling and dropping marks. Blair/Goldy is one too many defensive forwards. We need another creative small medium forward. Elliott can't do it on his own. Blair adds more creative work. Dwyer is clean and creative. Faz can add more forward power and midfield drive.

Youngs outside ball use has disappointed me. A big driving kick. Yes. But sprays it too often.

Would like Thomas and Adams in. Maybe Young goes out. Defensively he has been OK. But he is supposed to be our outside user. He's just not being damaging enough. We could get more inside dominance with one of our young inside mids.

Tough week at the selection table. Don't want to make too many changes and be panicky.

3 changes tops. I think we need more creative forwards (Faz) and maybe outside run with inside work (ie Thomas). Not sure Keeffe has a good match up against WCE.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:43 pm

^^The matchup for Keeffe is the one he is best suited for: resting ruck. Either Cox or Natanui. For that reason, he could be a chance to hold his spot.

Agree that we need another creative forward. Defensive pressure is great, and it does result in goals, but we need more offensive firepower, and that means one of the defensive forwards should go.

I think Young stays. Was a bit off with his disposal against Adelaide, but did take some nice marks. He had worked into his best form before his injury, and I think he should get another week to show he was just a bit rusty after a couple of weeks off.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:12 pm

It's difficult to drop individual players after what was, an overall poor team performance against the Crows. However, I think we need to look to the future in selecting our team.

We can't afford to play Maxy, Toovey and Frost in the same side as neither have great foot skills. At least one of these needs to make way for Fasolo. Toovey, has struggled a bit to regain form after his long lay-off, so atm he'd be the one I'd drop.

Unless it's played in the wet I would not play Ball anymore. I know he's fearless, but time has caught up with him. He plays one good game in five imo, and is slow plus he has very poor disposal skills. It's time to upgrade on a new in and under fearless and quick midfielder.

Blair is a gutsy player, who would be a bit unlucky to lose his spot, but he's just not quite delivering enough consistently for mine. Josh Thomas has more upside and was stiff to be dropped last week.

I'm not expecting these changes, but here's what I'd like:

Outs: Keeffe, Ball, Blair, Toovey

Ins: Brown, Adams, Thomas, Fasolo

Witts should keep his spot until Reid comes back, when this will release White to be used more as our second ruck. Against the eagles, Witts may also have to play deep in defence to cover Cox in the goal square.
MattyD 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Thursday night was an aberration. With such a young and new team, we're going to get that.

And you can't dismiss the signs of the development of a good football side over the past month or so. It's coming.

I expect it will be business as usual next Saturday.

And you'd think the Eagles will be slightly underdone coming off the Bye.

Pies by 38 pts.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Lose next week and we are out of the 8
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Well he did not play the 2nd Half

correct. and never was going to.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:35 pm

John Wren wrote:

yawn. are you dtm in disguise?

Do you see me creating threads every 5 minutes?

You don't like what I have to say? Feel free to put me on ignore.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:39 pm

I think with a young side the bye came at a bad time. We were flying and the week off the youngsters took a well earned break but didn't come back fully switched on.
I think bucks will let them know in no uncertain terms it was unacceptable.
The plus is its another learning experience for the young players.
I think Thompson keeping Beamer to only 10 touches in the second half was critical to our fall off as in the first half his input was invaluable.
We need to find a way to Cloke confidence back. Maybe a run on the ball for a 5 minutes a quarter to get a few touches mightn't hurt.
With Elliott shut down showed our ways to goal had closed up as well.
White had his worst game for us and never looked dangerous.
Keefe showed why we need brown back he lost all composure and started giving away soft frees. When he went forward he looked disinterested and never threatened.
Ball has lost that half a step and is struggling but he is a competitor and a good example for the going players.
Young usefulness to the side revolves around his accurate long kicking which he failed to do against the crows. He needs a marked improvement this week.
Tooves was quiet but first game back on past performances he gets a second chance.
Blair tries so hard but npjust looks a step behind all the time. Don't know if his injured or just. It quite as good as people originally thought.
Caff was given a lessen by dangerfield but he won't be the only tagged to get one this year. Dangerfield could win the brownlow this year as his form with the exception of the demons game has been irresistible.
For me sidebottom has been hugely disappointing. He is getting a heap of it from his team mates hard work but his usage is horrible or worse nearly all the time. I hope he proves me so wrong and has a blinder but at the moment IMO he is a borderline selection.
Swanny is up and down at the moment which is so unusual for him. He seems to be a tad off the pace. But he is a champion and champions don't play 2 bad ones in a row.
Grundy and Witts are learning on the job and inconsistency is inevitable. They do a lot of good things but also make mistakes but I can forgive them as they are young.
Frosty and Langdon are the 2 highlights for me so far. If anyone had told me pre round 1 those 2 would be the strengths in our back line I would have laughed. I am so very glad to be smiling like this talking about them.
As a young team we will have ups and downs (like all other young sides do) but long term I think the coaches are on the right track with our player development.
I see many sunny days ahead starting this weekend when I think the players will want to make a statement.
Win this one and we should over the next 4 weeks cement our place on the top 4-6.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10   

Jump to: