Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 7 - Collingwood vs Bendigo at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for going dark there folks but my battery ran out. Am using my phone before jumping on my train back home.

For the record final scores were 21.26.152 to 5.7.37.

Full reviews later.

Over to you...

mattys123 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Short review of each player;

1; Fasolo; Played off half back/back pocket for nearly all the game so didn't see it a lot. When he saw it he used it really well and looked to be very fit and free in running. Should come in next week, we need his skill.
7; Kennedy; Had a decent match without being brilliant. Could have kicked 3 goals in the second quarter alone but missed all 3. Is developing well but needs to dominate at this level.
9; Clarke; Did ok without doing anything brilliant.
13; Adams; BEST ON GROUND, The only player who was consistent for four quarters I thought. Finished the game off really strongly and won a heap of contested ball, Used the ball well today too. Bring him in.
16; Brown; Ready to come in, played FB/CHB all day, wasn't beaten one on one, bring him in.
24; Thomas; Would have had a fair bit of it and used it well, just thought Adams was a tad better. Will come into contention though.
25; Hudson; Rucked solo for most of the match, typical Huddo, he's there if we need him.
27; Armstrong; Did ok, kicked at least one goal, missed two others.
28; Sinclair; Only played the first half then was taken off as planned. Looked his old self though, 2-3 weeks away from senior selection.
29; Broomhead; I love this kid so I'm biased but he was super impressive again today. Only question is about his body, it's still stick thin, but he will be a senior footballer.
31; Ramsay; Did ok off half back without doing anything brilliant.
33; Karnezis; Kicked 3 goals early on and you thought "here we go". Missed every shot after that which cost him any chance of promotion next week.
37; Martin; Typical Kyle Martin VFL game, goals, plenty of it and dominant. Hope he gets a shot at senior level come round 11.
38; Yagmoor; Did ok once again, doesn't do enough though.
40; Seedsman; Played off half back and the wing, wasn't outstanding but did a few nice things.
46; Marsh; Played next to Brown all day and did ok, gave away a few frees but also took some strong defensive marks. Developing well.
48; Mooney; Meh.

Of the top up players the new bloke Greenhough (number 72 and not in the record) did ok as the second ruckman. Ferguson was great, stuck it up the VFL pricks who didn't select him in the state squad.

So out of that;

Possible ins; Adams, Thomas, Brown, Broomhead, Fasolo.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:42 pm

I'd agree with that. FWIW, Armstrong kicked 2. Also, although Marsh won't be seen in the seniors in the immediate future, some of what he showed today was sensational - he's playing a key defensive post but if he was in the seniors, he'd be our fastest player by a considerable margin.

Adams still needs to get that GWS square-it-up to CHB kick out of his system - once he stops doing that, he has the makings of an outstanding senior player.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:57 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
FMD, Wittsy is a big bugger!

Just walked past my commentary position.

Has that killer gleam in his eyes.

I don't know whether to be proud or terrified...

Where were you sitting?

Yes he's a big bugger and that cardie was a shocker

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
this will be a belting. pies by 100+

Wink
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Agree with matys123 analysis
suprised by armstrong
is fast and he run and run all over the place
best offensive running today
as for his defensive work
i didnt look ať it!
Marsh is developing well
martin is a great kick
hack gamě

Last edited by thompsoc on Sat May 17, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:39 pm

Agree with matys123 analysis
suprised by armstrong
is fast and he run and run all over the place
best offensive running today
as for his defensive work
i didnt look ať it!
Marsh is developing well
martin is a great nick
háck gamě

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

Where were you sitting?

Sherrin stand, Bob Rose pocket.

I didn't mind the cardie myself. Just adds another element of 'geez, what will this bloke do next? Is that smile a warm one or a sociopathic one?'

Nothing wrong with a ruckman who dresses as though he is unhinged... Wink
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Big T wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
Big T wrote:
Hey MB, how is the defensive side of (1) Martin and (2) Patty K's game? This will be a key consideration and they may be competing for a spot soon, right?

1) Marto's defensive game, particularly in the 1st qtr, has been very good. Not ultra-ultra-ultra-defensive, but good enough for mine, even when you discount my love of the bloke.

2) I've really liked Patty's game. Very slippery when tackled. Has presented really well and set shot kicking has been excellent. Hasn't really stood out defensively for mine, which is a concern, so he needs to put a good bit of work into that.

That was what I saw in Brisbane. Great finisher, but questionable tank and defensive effort almost non existent. If we can improve his fitness and get a bit of Goldies manic forward pressure into him we have a star on our hands.

Sorry I missed this at the time, Big T.

Your assessment is on the money. If only we could combine Goldsack's manic forward pressure with Patty's ability mark and finish, we would have the perfect 'not key position' tall forward who has scope to go into the midfield.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:03 am

MagpieBat wrote:
jackcass wrote:
So that's 7-12 since quarter time. Too much lairising?

I'd say so.

As Tommy would say, "too much finessin'."

Here we go again. The opposition actually lift for a bit and put together some decent passages of play, stick their tackles and get some reward for effort on the scoreboard, but all we can focus on is that "we are playing shit"

FFS I am over "supporters". We can't even win by 20 goals without being nit picked.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:25 am

die4pies wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
jackcass wrote:
So that's 7-12 since quarter time. Too much lairising?

I'd say so.

As Tommy would say, "too much finessin'."

Here we go again. The opposition actually lift for a bit and put together some decent passages of play, stick their tackles and get some reward for effort on the scoreboard, but all we can focus on is that "we are playing shit"

FFS I am over "supporters". We can't even win by 20 goals without being nit picked.

Okay then, I'm out.

Personally, I'm over supporters who berate others having an opinion that is anything other than "wow how good are we?!". I never said we were playing shit.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:50 am

Just ignore it, MB and jackass - you know your opinions and observations are valued by many (most) of us.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Just ignore it, MB and jackass - you know your opinions and observations are valued by many (most) of us.

Thanks P4S. And likewise, your take on things is great to read as well.

I like Shane though. His photo work at the VFL is fantastic and puts in a ton of work with the Victoria Park Heritage Committee. Were it not for the efforts of Shane and others, we wouldn't be watching our boys at Victoria Park.

So, I have respect for the man. Don't see eye-to-eye with him on this one, though.

(And if I maybe bit back a little hard there, Shane, I apologise).
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Okay, after a good night's shut-eye (would have had the write-ups done last night, but I was running on just 1 hour of sleep the whole of yesterday), my player reviews...

1. Alex Fasolo
Started the game very cold, caught unawares a couple of times and looked so damn slow. Got much better as the game went on and by the later stages in the second half was looking a lot more like the Fasolo we've come to know this year off half back. His kicking will be such a weapon in defence when he gets back to the seniors. I'd be very much in favour of seeing him recalled.

7. Ben Kennedy
Started the game, as I mentioned in the call, very much playing like a man who knows there is a spot opening up in the seniors. Got plenty of ball both inside and outside the contest, which is very pleasing, given outside work has been his main deficiency, and generally used it well when kicking to a target. His burst speed is a thing of beauty to watch when he uses it to accelerate away from danger, which he did a couple of times yesterday.

Unfortunately, he may not get the chance to prove himself in the seniors just yet. I didn't see it, but there are reports on BigFooty of an incident between Kennedy and #7 of the Gold that may make its way to the Tribunal, with those reports suggesting Kennedy may have been the aggressor.

9. Martin Clarke
An average game from Marty, in that he really didn't put a foot wrong, but didn't stand out either. Which, for a senior player who has been in the system for as long as he has, is a strike in itself. Against this level of opposition, he should be dominating. The fact that he wasn't just shows you how far away he is from realistically figuring into the senior team's fortunes.

13. Taylor Adams
If he wasn't best on ground, he would have been damn close, though I thought you might as well raffle our best on ground between a few guys. Smashed into every contest all day long and ripped the ball out time after time again. What I was pleased to see is that his kicking was much better than the last time we saw him against Carlton. Had a difficult shot on goal from the Bob Rose pocket which he slotted as easy as you like, which when you consider he hasn't been able to buy a good set-shot with us, is just great to see.

I'd hate to be the poor fool who gets tackled by him. Those tackles look like they do damage! Well and truly put his hand up.

16. Nathan Brown
It wasn't a day for key defenders wearing black and white. Whenever there was a contest involving him, though, Brown kept his opponent on leash. Had the job on McInnes (Gold #30), though also spent time on Watts (#20). It was really the usual fare from Browny. Took a nice contested mark on his man towards the end of the day.

It all comes down to what the coaching staff rate more - Brown's run of form in the VFL or Keeffe's ability to redeem himself for the bad Adelaide game. Personally, I'm finding Brown difficult to overlook at the moment.

24. Josh Thomas
Had a day out in the midfield as well and could have legitimately been placed in our bests. Like Kennedy, went a bit towards addressing his lack of outside game, by finding and receiving a fair bit of uncontested ball. Missed a couple of sitters streaming into goal early, but kicked a fantastic one at the end where he went to ground diving to mark, surged back his feet and snapped truly.

Gave us a scare just 15 seconds before the final siren, when he took a mark in mid-air and went straight for his leg after he landed. Managed to hand the ball off but collapsed to the ground, looking to be holding his knee. Sad

He managed to get up and walk off (wasn't carried off by the trainers as if he'd done a knee), so that's something. Probably was just cramp, but we'll have to get the report from the club.

If he's okay, then I think he's well in with a shot of a call-up.

25. Ben Hudson
Another game, another typical People's Beard performance. Smashed his opponent in the ruck, playing with minimal relief. Looked like he benefitted from the bye immensely. Was actually running like a gazelle at various points, even in the last term, which shocked me, because I've never seen him sprint before! Shocked

I say it every game, but he is there and ready to fire if we need him.

27. Tony Armstrong
Even accounting for the difficulty the defenders had in asserting themselves with limited opportunities, Armstrong really was MIA. Was switched forward in the 2nd quarter, where mostly stayed for the rest of the game. Kicked 2 goals 2 behinds, but I'll be damned if he ever actually had an opponent. Still, credit where credit is due, he found space and made the most of it. Has a nice set-shot routine, so that's something.

Tactically, though, he will likely be switched back to defence next week, especially if Fasolo goes back up into the seniors. He'll want to capitalise on this week's little bit of momentum next week, heading into another bye.

28. Ben Sinclair
Had an ordinary game on return from injury, before being put on ice in the second half. Didn't really do anything of note in the time he was out there. That being said, he didn't really do anything wrong either. Will need a few weeks at this level before getting back to a level of fitness requisite to challenge for a spot. Even then, with Toovey, Williams, Fasolo and Langdon in the seniors, he will be up against it to be selected.

29. Timothy Broomhead
I'm going to disagree with Matty a bit here. I don't think Broomy's disposal was all that great yesterday, to be honest. Looked very rough at times. One kick actually spun across its belly, so it looked like it was actually rolling in mid-air. Hudson was able to mark it though, so the kick came off.

I'm hoping to see Broomhead debut soon, though. Like Matty and a few others, I'm a fan of this kid, the last of the 3 amigos of 2012 to get a senior game. With a bit more meat on his frame, he will be a very handy player for us. Has all the traits we need in the seniors: speed, want to take the game on, class by foot (usually) and can be a great finisher around goal.

31. Jackson Ramsay
A good game from Ramsay. Wasn't the day to be a defender, but things opened up in the 2nd half, with a fair bit more ball coming his way. He made the most of his opportunities, providing good rebound out of defence. Still developing, but is out of contract this year. With our plethora of attacking back flankers, it will be interesting to see if the club invest more time in him or not.

33. Patrick Karnezis
Played as our focal point in the forward arc, which meant he had to endure some sloppy delivery at times (now he knows how Cloke feels!). Made the most of his own opportunities though, either through some strong contested marking or some sublime skills when the ball hit the deck. His set-shots were beautifully executed bar one. Created a couple of opportunities for others as well with some excellent vision to spot up some targets.

Defensively, though, he was a bit of a passenger, which is not good. He's really competing with Goldsack for a regular spot in the forward line. Needs to lift in that area if he is to become a fixture at AFL level. In any event, a very handy player to have in the VFL side.

I see the club website gave him BoG. Don't think you can say that about his game (Adams would be close to our best, IMO). Did have a good game though, on that I agree.

37. Kyle Martin
Just dominated, especially in the first half. Spent the second half getting his possessions more across half back to shake the hard tag. By my rough count, had 7 or 8 actual pressure acts, plus a fair few tackles, which would take his pressure tally well into double digits. Used it well whenever he had it.

Small forward, inside mid or outside mid, he plays each very well. I've said all I am really going to say about this kid. There's no reason why he shouldn't be on the senior list, either right now or at the end of the year when the promotions are made.

38. Peter Yagmoor
Another solid game from Yagmoor. Again, not a day for defenders, but whenever it came the way of his man, he was good defensively. Used it well by hand and foot when he had the ball. Just needs to keep up this level of production from here out if he is going to get another year.

40. Paul Seedsman
His hard attacking runs were back, but I wasn't too impressed by Seeds, tell you the truth. His ball use was ordinary, often missing targets inside 50 that should have been bread and butter to hit. Needs more time at this level.

46. Jonathan Marsh
Played again as a key defender and did pretty well. Took three very nice intercept marks ala Ben Reid in the last quarter. Can still be hit and miss at this stage, though. His intercept marks and chases were good, but missed at least one textbook spoil in the goal square that he should have easily killed, which handed the Gold a sitter of a goal. His kicking looked a little bit cleaner than it has to date, which is always good to see.

Matty summed Marsh's effort up perfectly - "developing nicely".

48. Caolan Mooney
Was okay without being a stand out in defence. Best bit of play for the game was where he flew in at full tilt from 25 metres off the ball to pressure a Gold kick as their player was streaming towards goal. The kick went out on the full. Very Happy

From the VFL boys...

- Ferguson was a ripper. Ran his opponent ragged and scored a few goals of his own. Another good finisher around goal who gives us some real speed when pushing up the ground. I concur with Matty, was stiff to miss the state squad.

- Allan was solid as a key forward.

- Greenhough (pronounced Green-HUFF, as in Hufflepuff) also did well as a makeshift forward, clunking a couple of nice grabs. Competed really well as a relief ruck also. A handy addition in the absence of Lynch and Gault.

- Moloney is a beast at stoppages. Provided some good link work through the middle of the ground, although his finishing around goal was a bit off.

- Hellier good in the midfield, as always.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:16 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:

Where were you sitting?

Sherrin stand, Bob Rose pocket.

I didn't mind the cardie myself. Just adds another element of 'geez, what will this bloke do next? Is that smile a warm one or a sociopathic one?'

Nothing wrong with a ruckman who dresses as though he is unhinged... Wink

Hah, so you would've been right there when the coaches ran up into the stand after 3/4 time and tried to cut over into the Bob Rose stand via the fire escape only to find the door closed and Pebbles had to resort to waving his arms around to catch the eye of the bloke snoozing on the bean bags to open the door for them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11   

Jump to: