Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2014 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only started getting into NFL the last three years. Picked the 49ers as "my team", based on the fact that San Fran is a place I'd love to visit.

So many similarities between Pies and 49ers this year:
- Very tough run with injuries (few ACL's late last season);
- Struggle against the teams they should put away;
- Look good when they look good, atrocious when not good;
- Some so-called A graders not performing.

And then you go on the 49ers equivalent of Nick's and you see similar thread titles:
- Harbaugh Must Go;
- Are we headed for a decade of darkness?;
- Kaepernick is no good;
- It' not all doom and gloom (like our half glass empty threads v the "perceptive fellow").
- etc etc

I had a chuckle at just how similar the fan blog is to ours.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:25 pm

^^^ yep, I think it's universal. As soon as things don't go as expected, fans of all teams in all codes start demanding scalps.

If you haven't already done so, you might like to have a look back through OEP's posts. He's a huge 49ers fan and watches them very closely. I always enjoy reading his thoughts and - as a 49ers fan - you'll probably be even more directly interested.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up Pies4shaw! Which team do you follow?
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:13 pm

didick wrote:
Thanks for the heads up Pies4shaw! Which team do you follow?

P4S is a cheesehead. Stay strong with the 9ers once they start calling plays that are the strength of this team and highlight our QB'S strengths rather than his weaknesses this team will be much better. In saying that you'll likely not see their best until next year.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:01 am

Any update on the speculation? Are they really going to move Harbaugh on? Personally, I think he's a tremendous coach, although obviously things haven't gone as planned this year.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:20 am

Found this on BR

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2224353-san-francisco-49ers-5-potential-replacements-if-jim-harbaugh-leaves

As to what I think. He one of the best coaches in the league and I really, really hope he stays but the lack of a new contract or even the attempt to get one done is concerning. My honest opinion is I think he's traded in the off season probably to the Raiders, or maybe the Browns or Jets, for likely first and third round pick.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:02 am

So, the Bengals have thrashed the Browns, 30:0. Meanwhile, the Pats are pumping Miami 41:13 and will win, the Steelers lead Atlanta 27:20 with Atlanta out of time-outs and Big Ben in victory formation, the Giants lead Washington 24:13 and should hold on, the Chiefs lead the Raiders 31:6 with about 10 minutes to go, Indy lead the Texans 17:10, with about 2 minutes to go and the Texans about to get the ball for one last drive, the Pack trail the Bills 19:13 with a little under 5 minutes to go and the Bills about to get the ball back (number 12 has thrown 2 INTs today on successive drives and Green Bay look very much like they can't win a playoff game against a reasonable defence), the Ravens lead the Jags 17:12 and have control of the ball mid-field with about 3 minutes to go (actually, make that 1st and 10 at the Jags' 20 after another big Ravens gain) and the Panthers are holding on against the Bucs 19:17 (2 m 46 s to go and the Panthers have a 1st and 10 on their own 32 yard line).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:21 am

And, after a sack and a safety, the Pack trail 21:13 and will lose to the Bills. What a horrible last game and a half from Green Bay. They look to have gone from Superbowl favourites to also-rans.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:38 am

17 of 42 for 185 yards and 2 interceptions and a sack for a safety. Hmmmm.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:52 pm

Such a disappointing season for the 49ers which is finally put to bed by a very good Seahawks outfit.

Watched the game and have to say up to half time I was fairly confident this could be a very impressive upset by the 49ers, even though we'd lost Gore to concussion (?) in the second quarter and then Borland on the stroke of half time. Unfortunately we then lost Hyde early in the third and that was the game done.

It's no coincidence that Lynch came alive after the Borland injury as I was watching Borland's play vs Lynch during his time out there and I have to say I was extremely impressed. He made some big tackles on Lynch but also clogged up the holes Lynch wanted to use forcing him into traffic, once he went down the 49ers lost that important element to their defense and Lynch went into Beast Mode.

The loss of Hyde basically sealed the loss because it robbed the 49ers of their last quality RB and Kaep from using the Read Option. After that the Seahawks zeroed in on their pass rush without fear of being beaten by the RB. Once again the OL couldn't provide Kaep with a clean pocket to pass from but even so Kaep still played OK, and I mean OK, Kaep still missed some big plays with either inaccurate passing or not going through his reads correctly.

Given the outs we had going into the game and the injuries that occurred to key players during the game a 10 point loss is nothing to be ashamed of. Personally while I'm disappointed with the outcome of this season I'm extremely buoyed for next season with some of the talent that's been unearthed by unexpected playtime brought on by injuries.

Anyway this years dead to me but given the injuries the Cardinals have suffered this year, the fact their using the third string QB, and given all that their still 11-3 (and in the NFC West) I'm hoping they bring home the Lombardi Trophy.

Don't worry to much P4S Favre (oops I did it again), I mean Rodgers is waaaaay to good a QB to have another game like that. With him under centre the Packers will always be a contender, he's that good.

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:20 pm

^Sounds like the game had shades of Pies v Lions. Didn't get to see it. Seems like the 49ers and Pies seasons had a number of parallels.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Commiserations, OEP. My mob will be watching from the same spot as your boys soon enough. The Seahawks are some chance of going back to back, it seems.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 pm

didick wrote:
^Sounds like the game had shades of Pies v Lions. Didn't get to see it. Seems like the 49ers and Pies seasons had a number of parallels.

Yeah the Collingwood and 49ers 2014 seasons were eerily similar with preseason injuries and distractions combined with regular season injuries.

Just makes it that much more painful to experience twice in one year.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:44 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Commiserations, OEP. My mob will be watching from the same spot as your boys soon enough. The Seahawks are some chance of going back to back, it seems.

In all honesty while I think the Seahawks are a great team the bulk of their talent is on the defensive side of the ball and the offensive talent starts and finishes with Wilson and Lynch. Most commentators believe Lynch is their most important player but I see it completely diff entry, Wilson is the one who makes the plays in that team. Without him out there this morning the Seahawks would likely have been facing a much bigger margin going into half time, his ability to extent plays and make the big pass is unbelievable.

If the Seahawks lost Lynch they have a very capable backup and the drop off between the two would be marginal, but if they lost Wilson they'd be in massive world of hurt even more so than my 49ers if we lost Kaep.

Anyway back to my point, with Wilson upright they're dangerous as always but their biggest advantage last year was that they had such a great defense that they could rely on then effectively closing out the opposition and leaving their offense with short fields and bonus of not having to scoe heavily to win. This year most of the contenders have impressive defenses but also high powered offenses. I really think for the Seahawks to beat some of the other big contenders their defense is going to have to play lights out football throughout the finals series.

Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:45 am

This might explain No 12's off day.

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-olivia-munn-121214

If you look at his first interception, which was a great read by the safety by the way, look at the wide open Jordy Nelson at the top of the screen.The second interception was a typical Rodgers interception as it was tipped straight to the defender.

The only positive I can take is that Rodgers once a year "shockers" are usually in the playoffs.The defence to their credit did not give up a touchdown, punt return was on special teams, 4 FGs and that safety.

Packers and Eagles have gone from 2nd and 3rd seeds in NFC to 6th seed and out of the playoffs altogether after their losses on the weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 19 of 32   

Jump to: